GDT: NHL Draft Day 2 GDT

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I sure hope so. Much as I complain sometimes I'm not going to take keeping Granlund as some sort of definitive waving of the white flag. But it would sure be disappointing.
If you're simply referring to another season of Granlund, yeah that's possible. May be unwise to throw good money after bad. Really just depends. I'm sure the right team could squeeze some juice out of him but that cap hit is a killer. I would just buy him out.

I thought you were imagining a similar trade on the horizon, which I pray does not occur.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If you're simply referring to another season of Granlund, yeah that's possible. May be unwise to throw good money after bad. Really just depends. I'm sure the right team could squeeze some juice out of him but that cap hit is a killer. I would just buy him out.

I thought you were imagining a similar trade on the horizon, which I pray does not occur.

Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear, there. I don't see Dubas doing anything that stupid. Or most league GMs.

I would just buy him out, too. But the clock is ticking.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Would be nice if we signed one or two of the new FAs who are being mentioned in the "best undrafted" conversations that are taking place now. But with Sully's rep with young players, I'm not holding my breath.

Still, Dubas can play the "There's a new sheriff in town" card PLUS the "we have a sh***y prospects pool" to try to convince them that there is real opportunity in this organization.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Would be nice if we signed one or two of the new FAs who are being mentioned in the "best undrafted" conversations that are taking place now. But with Sully's rep with young players, I'm not holding my breath.

Still, Dubas can play the "There's a new sheriff in town" card PLUS the "we have a sh***y prospects pool" to try to convince them that there is real opportunity in this organization.

The new narrative is that Sullivan finally has a GM that communicates with him so now he can get serious.

Which definitely doesn't sound like an excuse after rolling through two GMs and a multitude of rosters that he for sure had zero input on.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The new narrative is that Sullivan finally has a GM that communicates with him so now he can get serious.

Which definitely doesn't sound like an excuse after rolling through two GMs and a multitude of rosters that he for sure had zero input on.
How cool would it be if it turned out to be true, though? Sullivan and Dubas working in tandem, focused, coherent ideas.

I mean, it's entirely bullshit and Sullivan is an egomaniac, but Hextall was also a total moron so there's like the tiniest bit of light peeking through the crack in the door here. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How cool would it be if it turned out to be true, though? Sullivan and Dubas working in tandem, focused, coherent ideas.

I mean, it's entirely bullshit and Sullivan is an egomaniac, but Hextall was also a total moron so there's like the tiniest bit of light peeking through the crack in the door here. :laugh:

There's still a good coach in there somewhere. So that would indeed be awesome.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't follow draft prospects almost at all any longer. It sort of leaves me longing for draft eligible player age to be 20 instead of 18. Take some of the long game out of this process and make it easier to follow and a shorter time frame for them to be NHLers.

Quadruple like.

Also this org just hasn't targeted draft eligible CHL players for ELCs at all since Rutherford went after Bellerive and D'Orio. Which I have to say looking around the league, doesn't appear to be missing out on a big resource. Not aware of many success stories there.

The org's also turned just under 33% of its undrafted NCAA signings into 100 game NHLers since Sully took over, which will shortly be just over once DOC racks up his 100th this season, so not sure why we'd be nervous of unheralded youngsters there.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, Yager had a lukewarm season for his draft year but there's apparently been discussion of him being a top-5 talent for a few years. People seem to think his drop off in production could be a result of him refining other areas of his game too. /shrug

We'll see if he can sort himself out and develop into a gem or not. The talent seems to be there, particularly in the shot. Also, personally, would rather a guy be a really smart player as opposed to simply being a fast player, or big player.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What a sickening trade Granlund was. Just pure sabotage.
This might come off as ironic, but I don't see that as cataclysmic as the majority here.

Neat, except his 1st and 3rd round picks don't suggest that.

Looking through the prospect threads, I feel like if you'd told people in 2021 that the Pens would pick Yager and Jarventie in 2023, they'd assume the Pens had absolutely cratered.
Pretty much did, missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I am 100% reading too much into this but the way he started with the player attributes for the first three then started with "he plays in Ottawa" for Cooper Foster screams "not my pick" :laugh:

(tbf you can also see his memory getting overworked as he goes through the list)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think Sullivan and the Penguins have a pretty decent reputation for bringing in young players, especially unsigned/undrafted UFAs. ZAR, DOC, Sheary, Marino to an extent even though he was a 6th...

I mean, we've done pretty well on that front compared to other teams. We haven't got the Vesey, Hayes, or Panarin yet but I don't see us as having the reputation as a place (or coach/org) to avoid.

That said, I do agree with your second line there. Pointing to a weak prospect pool is advantageous. It's why Will Butcher signed with the Devils.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I guess I don't see Granlund being here or not as the difference between this team winning or losing. I just don't see us as competitive against the better teams in the league. Not thrilled about us giving up a 2hd rounder however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad