NHL Draft: 2024 VS 2025

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Which draft are you more excited for coming up? We know the 2024 class seems really promising and there are some great prospects, we all know the names, but how about the 2025 class? It seems like there could be a bit of everything in the '25 draft class, from great forwards, defenseman, and even some goaltenders? The goaltenders for 2025 could be interesting to follow as I've read about a Russian who could be the next Vasilevsky, then there's D'Aigle and then an American goalie who has great potential. I apologize as I cant remember the names but I'm sure ya'll get the idea here. Anyways I'm interested in seeing how historically great these next 2-3 drafts could become and hf's thoughts. Thanks

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
I guess 2024. I don't think 2025 is that exciting from a team building perspective outside of Martone and maybe Frondell or McQueen. I don't particularly like Hagens, the tiny scoring forward who excels in transition typically underwhelms and he seems like a fairly weak to average 1st overall. Celebrini is an above average 1st overall, but the rest of the lottery in 2024 seem incredibly risky.

I would give 2024 a 6/10 but pretty volatile, and 2025 a 4/10 thus far.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
2025 is better. Full stop. I mean 2024 has Lindstrom as a favourite to go top5. I think that let’s you know the quality of the draft class.

Reactions: hellwar9

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Personally, I agree with Mark Edwards who called 2024 arguably the worst draft he has scouted in 20 years. Been a long time since I looked a draft with as little excitement yet alone this far into the season as 2024 provides. 2025 has better potential. Celebrini is a good #1 though.

It is also, tough after last year where several guys would go before the #2 forward in this draft.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Celebrini is the best player in either draft. But there’s about ten guys who could arguably go 2nd overall in 2024 but none of whom I’d be excited to take 2nd overall. That’s usually not a good sign, so unless 2025 is exceptionally weak then it’s gotta be better.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Celebrini is the best player in either draft. But there’s about ten guys who could arguably go 2nd overall in 2024 but none of whom I’d be excited to take 2nd overall. That’s usually not a good sign, so unless 2025 is exceptionally weak then it’s gotta be better.
It goes beyond the top 2 though. 2021 was similar to this year in that there was a clear #1 (and 2 in 2021's case) and then like 8 guys who could go in any order after. 2021 was also called weak because there was a gap between the first tier and second.

Look at the top 11 guys taken in 2021. Other then Boucher who was a 20 pick reach, the others have already debuted and are playing well in the NHL or look really good in the AHL like Clarke and Edvinsson. If the Ducks get a chance at a McTavish level player at 3 this year I will be very satisfied with that.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It goes beyond the top 2 though. 2021 was similar to this year in that there was a clear #1 (and 2 in 2021's case) and then like 8 guys who could go in any order after. 2021 was also called weak because there was a gap between the first tier and second.

Look at the top 11 guys taken in 2021. Other than Boucher who was a 20 pick reach, the others have already debuted and are playing well in the NHL or look really good in the AHL like Clarke and Edvinsson. If the Ducks get a chance at a McTavish level player at 3 this year I will be very satisfied with that.
Other than Celebrini, no one in 2024 stacks up to 2021. I’d take almost everyone in 2021 over their approximate counterpart. Beniers > Eiserman, Clarke > Dickinson, Power > Levshunov, Eklund > Helenius, MacTavish > Lindstrom, Hughes > Buium, etc. I supposed I’d take Catton over Johnson but I was never high on Johnson to begin with (I had him ranked #9 in 2021).

2021 lacked a true 1st overall talent, but the top-9 was excellent. This year has a true #1 talent, and it does have a “everyone is basically equivalent” tier in the same way that the top-9 in 2021 was basically equally valuable, but the 2021 tier is a tier above the 2024 tier almost universally.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I guess 2024 might be comparable to say, the 2012 draft or is it actually worse?

I know people didn't like the 2012 draft going in.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Other than Celebrini, no one in 2024 stacks up to 2021. I’d take almost everyone in 2021 over their approximate counterpart. Beniers > Eiserman, Clarke > Dickinson, Power > Levshunov, Eklund > Helenius, MacTavish > Lindstrom, Hughes > Buium, etc. I supposed I’d take Catton over Johnson but I was never high on Johnson to begin with (I had him ranked #9 in 2021).

2021 lacked a true 1st overall talent, but the top-9 was excellent. This year has a true #1 talent, and it does have a “everyone is basically equivalent” tier in the same way that the top-9 in 2021 was basically equally valuable, but the 2021 tier is a tier above the 2024 tier almost universally.
I think we just disagree on the level of that tier this year then.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
2024 is quite meh. The names once you get into the 2nd round of the rankings are just fine. Sure, some 1st round talent will drop into the 2nd, but it seems like an underwhelming group overall. A lot of the 1st round talent feels more like 2nd rounders in previous years.

Interested to see how 2025 plays out as time goes on.

Reactions: Just Linda

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
2025 is better. Full stop. I mean 2024 has Lindstrom as a favourite to go top5. I think that let’s you know the quality of the draft class.
Well, you also have similar guys all the way up to 12 or so.

Lindstrom is an intriguing prospect with his size and tools see a rare type of player if it works out for him down the line. The type of guys that are very hard to acquire for GMs.

Defensemen are generally not as exciting as forwards around here and there are a lot of good ones this year....

2024 is quite meh. The names once you get into the 2nd round of the rankings are just fine. Sure, some 1st round talent will drop into the 2nd, but it seems like an underwhelming group overall. A lot of the 1st round talent feels more like 2nd rounders in previous years.

Interested to see how 2025 plays out as time goes on.
Not a very good year for US hockey and they've typically have multiple 1st rounders in recent years. Many top 10 selection to boot.
Same could be said of Sweden, not a very good year.

Good year for Canada and Russia.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
In my opinion for just right now

Better for Defense
Better for Finland
Slightly Better for WHL (depth wise)
Slightly Better for Russia (not incl. Goalies)
Better for Czechia
Better for Norway/Switzerland

Better for Forwards
Better for Goalies
Better for Sweden
Better for USA (big edge to Defense)
Better for QMJHL
Better for OHL
Better for Slovakia
Better for Germany

Edge to 2025 for top-end, but since they're older, 2024 gets an obvious depth bump.

Reactions: Speyer and Czechboy

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Well, you also have similar guys all the way up to 12 or so.

Lindstrom is an intriguing prospect with his size and tools see a rare type of player if it works out for him down the line. The type of guys that are very hard to acquire for GMs.

Defensemen are generally not as exciting as forwards around here and there are a lot of good ones this year....

Not a very good year for US hockey and they've typically have multiple 1st rounders in recent years. Many top 10 selection to boot.
Same could be said of Sweden, not a very good year.

Good year for Canada and Russia.
Yeah, the NTDP isn't horrible but just meh. After Eiserman, Emery, Plante, Bednarik, Hutson, and Humphreys are solid, could go anywhere from later 1st to mid 2nd or even later. Stiga and Ziemer are pretty decent. Problem is Hagens and Hensler are late birthdays who will be in the 2025 Draft.

Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Some of the players mentioned above are very hard to compare.
Beniers and Eiserman are very different in style and almost 1 year apart playing in different leagues in their draft year.
Clarke was a weird skating defenseman with very good offensive tools, Dickinson is a lot more polished.
Power over Leshuynov sure, but I'd compare Power to Silayev. Still edge Power, but better and closer comparable.

I agree with the bolded statement, but not sure it's really a tier above.
I'd also argue that right now that tier goes a bit further than it did in 2021 with guys like Catton, Conolly, Parekh.

Reactions: 57special

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Which draft are you more excited for coming up? We know the 2024 class seems really promising and there are some great prospects, we all know the names, but how about the 2025 class? It seems like there could be a bit of everything in the '25 draft class, from great forwards, defenseman, and even some goaltenders? The goaltenders for 2025 could be interesting to follow as I've read about a Russian who could be the next Vasilevsky, then there's D'Aigle and then an American goalie who has great potential. I apologize as I cant remember the names but I'm sure ya'll get the idea here. Anyways I'm interested in seeing how historically great these next 2-3 drafts could become and hf's thoughts. Thanks
Askarov is the next Vasilevsky

• Haha
Reactions: thestonedkoala

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023

What are you talking about? Celebrini and Lindstrom would have gone Top 10 in last years draft. A lot of team would prefer either of those guys over elite talents like Simashev, Danielson, Leonard, Dvorsky and Reinbacher.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
What are you talking about? Celebrini and Lindstrom would have gone Top 10 in last years draft. A lot of team would prefer either of those guys over elite talents like Simashev, Danielson, Leonard, Dvorsky and Reinbacher.
Did I say anything about Celebrini? No, he does not need to be discussed here. He is elite.

Disagree wholeheartly with Lindstrom. He is not a play driver, he is a passenger on a really good offensive team. he is being carried by Basha, McKenna and Weisblatt. People are ignoring the massive IQ question marks. Tools, no toolbox. Simple as that. Just Josh Anderson 2.0. i’d select him with a mid first in the 13-20 range. Not too-5, it’s insane to me. There is just too many potential elite defenders in this class. weak class if he goes top-5x

Reactions: jfhabs

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Impossible to make an accurate statement honestly. Celebrini was neck and neck with Eiserman in early 2023 and now its completely flipped. Can't really say.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Misa isn't an interesting player, at the moment, I mean I guess he could grow or have a steep development curve, but the barrier for an impactful scoring winger (or even if he tries to transition back to center) is absurdly high.

• Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
Did I say anything about Celebrini? No, he does not need to be discussed here. He is elite.

Disagree wholeheartly with Lindstrom. He is not a play driver, he is a passenger on a really good offensive team. he is being carried by Basha, McKenna and Weisblatt. People are ignoring the massive IQ question marks. Tools, no toolbox. Simple as that. Just Josh Anderson 2.0. i’d select him with a mid first in the 13-20 range. Not too-5, it’s insane to me. There is just too many potential elite defenders in this class. weak class if he goes top-5x

I disagree, he knows exactly how to facilitate and finish offensive chances. Look at their record without him. Not the same team.

Reactions: cheechoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad