Prospect Info: NHL Draft 2018 - Friday...Friday...

IF something happens, what will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Would be very happy if we draft Tkachuk. Watch his highlights. He has great vision and terrific hands. And he loves mucking it up. Big, strong and tough and a good skater.
I like him quite a bit, I just hope we don't rush him if we take him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nothing against Brady, but nothing I’ve seen so far suggests he has a higher offensive ceiling than Zadina or Wahlstrom. Even Button, who has had Tkachuk top three pretty much all year, says Wahlstrom has 40-50 goal talent.
40-50 is so hyperbolic it’s not even funny. Can’t we just say 30?

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
IMHO you can plug Zadina (obviously) AND Bouchard (less obviously) into the lineup come opening night. Just my two cents..

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Considering the shitshow that's going on in Ottawa right now, they're going to have a huge recruitment problem. Then there's Zadina who said he wants to play in Montreal or Ottawa. I think they take him if he's there at 4.

teddyli

Feb 4, 2018
I think after Domi trade, the Habs are easily looking to trade down and take Kotkaniemi. So I wouldn't mind trading with them for Zadina, depending on the price.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
hbk sees these guys live, more so than anyone on these threads. This gives him an inherent advantage in analysis. He may, or may not be correct, but any scout will tell you there is no way to properly analyze without actually "being there."
I would never generalize, or belittle his analysis in any way.
I agree. hbk is a very knowledgeable hockey fan.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Is there enough demand for a draft day chatroom again?

Keep in mind that the new HF platform is still a little....unstable.
If nothing else it's a good backup ;)

Reactions: Matias Maccete

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Is there enough demand for a draft day chatroom again?

Keep in mind that the new HF platform is still a little....unstable.
If nothing else it's a good backup ;)

Was planning to at least create a GDT for it. Expecting someone will do the individual threads for each pick as has been done before.

Pretty much decided I’m attending the draft party. Might be going solo though.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Was planning to at least create a GDT for it. Expecting someone will do the individual threads for each pick as has been done before.

Pretty much decided I’m attending the draft party. Might be going solo though.

I’ll be there with my girlfriend and maybe my daughter. If you don’t wanna go solo, you’re more than welcome to hang with us

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I’ll be there with my girlfriend and maybe my daughter. If you don’t wanna go solo, you’re more than welcome to hang with us

Thanks moose. We’ll see. Trying to get the wife away from work that day so she can go. She’s the payroll manager at her company and they just changed service providers. It’s been a mess for her the past couple of weeks and she could use the break. Just depends on how many more snafus she has to sort out this week.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't move Draisaitl for that package if I'm Edmonton.

Goose for Myers is interesting but I don't think it works for Winnipeg's long-term cap.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Has Myers been good since his rookie season? I think he’s struggled and has fallen into a 5/6 role in Winnipeg; although Winnipeg may have issues in signing Trouba to an extension.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Interesting note: 2000 was a leap year so projected 1st rounder Tkachuk is a full 365 days older than projected 2nd rounder Jenik.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Hi everyone. I’ll spare y’all the personal details, but I watched way less hockey this year than I have in a while, but I’ve been cramming on draft prep for this year and wanted to share my top 10. Overall, I think this is a slightly below average draft (at least as far as the top 10 is concerned), though it’s better than last year’s for sure. As usual, my drafting philosophy emphasizes skill and upside. I don’t see the point in burning a first round pick on a player who might turn into a middle six role player when you can usually acquire an already developed player of that sort for less.

1) Rasmus Dahlin
Head and shoulders ahead of everyone else in this class. There’s not much to say about him that hasn’t already been said, and there’s zero chance the Coyotes walk away with him on Friday, so who cares.

2) Andrei Svechnikov
Gamebreaking scoring wing. Total package, with strength, speed and skill to burn. The Hossa comps seem legit. Also a lock to go before the Coyotes pick, so not worth discussing much here.

3) Filip Zadina
Now it starts to get interesting. I don’t think Zadina is a lock to go 3rd (Kotkaniemi seems just as likely) or even 4th (where neither Hughes nor Tkachuk would be surprising), but I have him as the third best prospect still. Zadina has the tools I want from a high end scoring wing: terrific skill, a heavy shot, and a great motor. What really stands out to me (and what makes me confident he’ll translate well into the NHL) is that he can score in a lot of different ways. He can rip a blistering, accurate wrister past goalies from distance, but he has the speed, skill and footwork to dangle past slower defenders and the power to blow past weaker ones. He has decent size but, more importantly, the willingness to get himself into traffic, either to shoot it himself or distribute the puck. He has first-line wing potential for sure, and I think he’s ready to play sheltered minutes at the NHL level already.

4) Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Kotkaniemi could conceivably go third or fall past the Coyotes pick. He’s a sturdy but very skilled center with above average hockey sense and a pretty advanced game overall for his age. It’s very difficult to get the puck away from him. He can slow down the play and has the vision to find open wings, and he possesses a pretty heavy shot of his own. I think he tops out as a very good two-way second line center along the lines of a Paul Stastny, but he has shown some flashes of potential beyond that, maybe closer to a Staal. He’s not the sexiest pick, but his heady game projects well to the next level, and he’s probably ready for a limited role this year.

5) Oliver Wahlstrom
Poor man’s Auston Matthews, with power, skill and the best shot in the dradt. Easily the best shot in the draft. I’ve gone back and forth but think he projects better as a wing, where he can use his hockey sense and high motor to get himself into scoring areas. He could probably be ready for NHL action later this season, but more likely he’s at least a year away. He should be a dangerous finisher at even strength and on the powerplay and would be a great complement to a heady playmaker like Keller or Strome.

6) Quinn Hughes
The size is a concern, but he has the smarts and skating ability to compensate. Just an absolute joy to watch. He can be a real gamechanger with his skill and mobility, but he has the elite level hockey sense to know when (and when not) to pinch. I think he’s at least a year or two away, and when he’s ready, his coach will need to deploy him carefully to limit his exposure to bigger forwards, but that does not mean he’s a defensive liability. His positioning is strong, his movement in all directions gives him terrific recovery ability, and his anticipation and stick skills allow him to disrupt scoring chances. He excels at getting the puck moving toward the offensive zone efficiently.

7) Dominik Bokk
His defensive game needs some work and he’s a relatively raw player overall, but he’s worth rolling the dice on this early in a draft lacking in top line upside. He can terrorize defenses with his puck skills and excels as both a playmaker and a triggerman. Bokk is an endlessly skilled forward with solid skating ability, but consistency has been an issue. Whether he sorts that out will be the difference between being Martin Havlat or Marian Gaborik. I’d bet on him figuring it out.

8) Brady Tkachuk
The center version of his brother Matt. His physical game is incredibly advanced for his age, but his skill leaves a bit to be desired. Still, he has the versatility to play up and down the lineup and should make any line better, even if he’s not the best player on the line, and he has the maturity to play in the NHL this year. He’s a safe pick at this spot.

9) Serron Noel
Definitely a project, but he has the size and skill to dominate someday. He should at least be a solid middle-six goal scorer, but his potential is Wheelerish. Not worth drafting unless you are comfortable giving him at least three years to marinate before being expected to contribute much (or if you are comfortable with him topping out as Dustin Penner). He’s one of the youngest and biggest players in the draft (and he could still be growing), so it’s no surprise he’s a little inconsistent. But as he fills out and his conditioning and coordination improve, he could be a real terror for defenses.

10) Adam Boqvist
Boqvist has looked pretty raw against older players, but he was genuinely dominant against his peers this year. That makes him a bit of a project, but the potential is tantalizing (and he’s pretty young for this draft, too). He doesn’t have the defensive polish that Hughes has, but his puck-moving ability is off the charts. I’m not bold enough to project him as a Karlsson-level offensive threat (he doesn’t have the shooting prowess), but he plays a similarly aggressive style otherwise. He can be a dangerous second pairing/top powerplay unit weapon.

Anyway, I don’t really plan to be posting much more than I have, so PM me if you want to stay in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad