Prospect Info: NHL Draft 2018 - Friday...Friday...

IF something happens, what will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Coyotes' drafting has improved, but they are in need of more prospects

Not certain if this article had already been posted, but this really brings everything into focus. So far, for draft picks taken prior to 2013, only 3 are still with the Coyotes. High talent also moved on to other teams in Wheeler and Turris, so poor showings at the draft in addition to some unexpected outcomes with picks (not just the aforementioned Turris/Wheeler, but what about Brett MacLean??) has been what put us in this position in the first place.

I get that money is tight, but Maloney really needed to put some dollars to scouting, otherwise we were going in an unsustainable direction. Trying to build a team with less information on prospects than other teams, and in a market that is desirable but not necessarily a winning market that makes it tough for free agents to sign, made it so the only way to gain an advantage was to try and do so through the draft, which we were under-resourcing already. So glad that the scouting department has really turned over a new leaf and helped make things work. The last 3 or 4 draft classes are all prepared to get more use out of the players than the previous 15.

Reactions: Mosby

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I promise if we draft Tkachuk I'll just storm off silently, as I did when we ended up drafting Perlini lol.

Last edited:

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Only time Brady should take a step in AZ is when his team is playing us.

Otherwise gtfo

I like Brady but for some reason I just dont see him getting to us anyway. I kinda have Matthew Tkatchuk flashbacks of him being taken right before us and I see the same thing happening this year.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Only time Brady should take a step in AZ is when his team is playing us.

Otherwise gtfo

goodgood-let-the-hate-flow-through-you.jpg

Reactions: Yandover

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Some quotes from Morgan's draft preview:

Chayka has said in the past that he weighs premium positions such as center and defense in his evaluation, but he cautioned against placing too much emphasis on that metric.

“I don’t weigh it a lot but I’ve always said you’ve got to weigh it,” Chayka said. “We include that in the decision-making process. If there’s two players and one is significantly better, then you’re going with the best player available.

“We all know how teams are built and we know the importance of [premium positions], but at the same time, it’s very tough to predict and project and get elite talented players so if you get a chance to pick an elite talented player just like we did with Clayton Keller, even though everyone wanted us to take a defenseman, we took the best player available.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad