Prospect Info: NHL Draft 2015

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I think Oilers will get it done this time for good, but there needs to be a change of culture up there as well as some roster and staff cleaning

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Why? I don't get all the hate against Buffalo, they've sucked the last two seasons and have been screwed over by the lottery.

They've sucked intentionally. Buffalo fans can spout on all they want about the Lightning tanking, they've never been able to point out to me a tank move other than "well you guys sucked and got Stamkos and Hedman". But what Murray pulled was honest trying to lose.

If that weren't enough, they're in our division. If McDavid is at all like advertised do you really want to face him 5 times a year? Plus all the other goodies they've been stocking up in their cupboards? I don't.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Wait, there are people out there who really think those Lightning teams were tankers?

No, they were just the unfortunate byproduct of some of the worst ownership in the history of professional sports. The hell; get a grip, people.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Wait, there are people out there who really think those Lightning teams were tankers?

No, they were just the unfortunate byproduct of some of the worst ownership in the history of professional sports. The hell; get a grip, people.

Buffalo, LA (as much as they swear they would have taken Doughty over Stamkos, they still get pissy about the Lightning "tank") and any traditional market team that we are currently beating the snot out of. This season I saw a great deal of it from Habs and Rags fans. I.E. "well if they hadn't tanked for Stamkos and Hedman..."

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I hope the same allegations are made on either the late '90s Islanders or late '00s Islanders, then. Clearly, the only way they got Tavares and Co. in place was via tanking.

That the default setting people have to explain high draft picks being on a team is because they "tanked" depresses me.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think Edmonton tanked. I think they're just a horribly run franchise.

Buffalo totally tanked though. There has been a Buffalo fire sale for three straight seasons on anyone remotely close to competent. Them losing out to Edmonton is just pure comedy.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah hilarious how people think we tanked. No we legitimately thought we'd be good as we still had Vinny and Marty. It just turned out the D and goaltending and secondary forwards weren't good enough, as many rival fans tried to tell us at the time. If we were tanking we would have gotten rid of the big two and not tried so many different players around them. It did eventually work in 2011 but still didn't get us a cup before time ran out on that core.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
But I do have a problem with teams trying to tank and lose and that's what buffalo is doing! At least the oilers are trying to win!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
They've sucked intentionally. Buffalo fans can spout on all they want about the Lightning tanking, they've never been able to point out to me a tank move other than "well you guys sucked and got Stamkos and Hedman". But what Murray pulled was honest trying to lose.

If that weren't enough, they're in our division. If McDavid is at all like advertised do you really want to face him 5 times a year? Plus all the other goodies they've been stocking up in their cupboards? I don't.

Agree 100 percent on this

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Edmonton tanked. I think they're just a horribly run franchise.

Buffalo totally tanked though. There has been a Buffalo fire sale for three straight seasons on anyone remotely close to competent. Them losing out to Edmonton is just pure comedy.

Yeah, Edmonton sucked the good old fashioned way: utter incompetence.

But there are a lot of interesting stories weaved into this. I think the temperature on MacT's GM seat just went up several degrees, because the "patience" line he likes to give just crashed into a wall. He now has every fan and media member league-wide looking at him. If Connor McDavid busts, not only will it be arguably the biggest bust in league history (or at least since Alex "the new Gretzky" Daigle), but it will go down in history as Craig's fault.

On top of that, the Oilers just flat out have to win. If they don't take a step forward this year, I think the axe will finally come down, long overdue as it may be.

Oh. And one more time. With feeling:

2dHNVgS.gif

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah, Edmonton sucked the good old fashioned way: utter incompetence.

But there are a lot of interesting stories weaved into this. I think the temperature on MacT's GM seat just went up several degrees, because the "patience" line he likes to give just crashed into a wall. He now has every fan and media member league-wide looking at him. If Connor McDavid busts, not only will it be arguably the biggest bust in league history (or at least since Alex "the new Gretzky" Daigle), but it will go down in history as Craig's fault.

On top of that, the Oilers just flat out have to win. If they don't take a step forward this year, I think the axe will finally come down, long overdue as it may be.

Oh. And one more time. With feeling:

2dHNVgS.gif
Why not fire every body now and start fresh there hire Gretzky has president of hockey operations! Then let Gretzky hire a gm and coach!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why not fire every body now and start fresh there hire Gretzky has president of hockey operations! Then let Gretzky hire a gm and coach!

I'm not sure if you're serious or if this is sarcasm.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I do think this is the perfect time to clean house. All the scouts, the GM, the President, don't know about the new guy coaching but probably him too...

They won't because they're horribly inept, but that's where the smart money is right now. Clean house before they have a chance to ruin anything else.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I do think this is the perfect time to clean house. All the scouts, the GM, the President, don't know about the new guy coaching but probably him too...

They won't because they're horribly inept, but that's where the smart money is right now. Clean house before they have a chance to ruin anything else.

Me too. Or at least I think this is the time to put MacT on the shortest of short leashes (who'm I kidding though--it's a joke that he still has a job). But then I'd be afraid to see them dip back into the good ol' boys club that was the 1980s Edmonton Oilers and make the exact same mistake (Gretzky, Messier) all over again.

This would appear to be an excellent time to be hiring a GM and/or coach though, with what's available.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Why is what they did considered tanking and not rebuilding? They were a perennial playoff team who couldn't get past the conference finals, they had veterans who were getting older and close to free agency. They got great value for all their expiring pieces. They also didn't have a strong prospect pool due to drafting late or making moves to be competitive those years. Murray signed veterans(Gionta, Moulson, Meszaros) traded for Gorges, sent Reinhart back to develop, he did the right things to shelter a young team. I don't remember him once having the coach pull the goalie when they were winning so they'd lose, that's tanking.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm saying ya clean house fire every body hire a new gm coach and draft mcdavid. Then trade rnh for a top 4 defenseman.

Yeah, it was only the Gretzky comment that caught me off guard. As great as Gretz was, he has a lot to prove in terms of management.

Edmonton needs to trade something for D help. But it's a tricky situation. I mean, McDavid-RNH is a drool-worthy one-two punch down the middle. RNH isn't even all that bad defensively.

Yakupov might be the guy to move. He finished the season well and probably did some damage control on his value. Package him with Draisatle and the Oilers could likely land a very strong player.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Why is what they did considered tanking and not rebuilding? They were a perennial playoff team who couldn't get past the conference finals, they had veterans who were getting older and close to free agency. They got great value for all their expiring pieces. They also didn't have a strong prospect pool due to drafting late or making moves to be competitive those years. Murray signed veterans(Gionta, Moulson, Meszaros) traded for Gorges, sent Reinhart back to develop, he did the right things to shelter a young team. I don't remember him once having the coach pull the goalie when they were winning so they'd lose, that's tanking.
They went the Penguins rebuild route and it back fired badly! But now they got a legit 1st pick player on the board now. But that team is not getting better till they get a defense and a goalie.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Yeah, it was only the Gretzky comment that caught me off guard. As great as Gretz was, he has a lot to prove in terms of management.

Edmonton needs to trade something for D help. But it's a tricky situation. I mean, McDavid-RNH is a drool-worthy one-two punch down the middle. RNH isn't even all that bad defensively.

Yakupov might be the guy to move. He finished the season well and probably did some damage control on his value. Package him with Draisatle and the Oilers could likely land a very strong player.

Ya I agree those are options to trade yakupov and draisatle but they need a legit 1 defenseman and a legit goalie. I think rnh lands you a better return. Would you do rnh for Seth jones ? But if they get a legit gm in there I think the oilers can turn it around in two years with some moves.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They went the Penguins rebuild route and it back fired badly! But now they got a legit 1st pick player on the board now. But that team is not getting better till they get a defense and a goalie.

Who are you talking about?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Yeah. The funniest part was how Hedman was viewed on the main board as a bust for sometime and when he matured and broke out offensively then people accused us of tanking.

Exactly.
Buffalo, LA (as much as they swear they would have taken Doughty over Stamkos, they still get pissy about the Lightning "tank") and any traditional market team that we are currently beating the snot out of. This season I saw a great deal of it from Habs and Rags fans. I.E. "well if they hadn't tanked for Stamkos and Hedman..."
Haha, good times. They were quite upset here back in 08.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
So what do you think we do with the pick this year? We don't really have any glaring holes in our prospect pool with DeAngelo and Koekkoek developing well. Goaltending seems set... Any standout wingers that could slip down to the bottom of the first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad