Speculation: NHL draft - 2014 NHL Draft - Philadelphia - June 27-28, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I know that Maatta and Pouliot are likely out until Christmas. So what? For the Pens the regular season is virtually meaningless other than practicing the likely new system.

With that in mind though, would you consider trading Martin for a first in maybe the 15-17 range? We have a ton of talent with the kids ready to move up, and lots of depth defensively. Martin makes $5 million for one more year making him very attractive. We certainly are not going to extend him beyond this year. We should have done this with Niskanen but now will lose him for nothing.

I know Martin was our best defensemen, but adding another of those forwards would be awfully tempting.

Thoughts?

Depends on what happens with Niskanen. If we let Niskanen walk, which we probably should and also deal his rights for a 2nd/3rd rounder, it will be tough to trade Martin.

I'd like to deal Martin though. He's going to want another long term contract and I really don't want to have him locked up for a while. He had a good year last year but he's always had problems staying healthy. I'd look to Anaheim for their 10th overall.

He hasn't played a full season since he's been here. The last two years he's played half the season. Despite being a good player, paying him $5m to play half the season the past two years isn't very helpful.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I know that Maatta and Pouliot are likely out until Christmas. So what? For the Pens the regular season is virtually meaningless other than practicing the likely new system.

With that in mind though, would you consider trading Martin for a first in maybe the 15-17 range? We have a ton of talent with the kids ready to move up, and lots of depth defensively. Martin makes $5 million for one more year making him very attractive. We certainly are not going to extend him beyond this year. We should have done this with Niskanen but now will lose him for nothing.

I know Martin was our best defensemen, but adding another of those forwards would be awfully tempting.

Thoughts?

i think your logic is a little backwards. Missing 2 defenseman for half a season should not entice you to trade one of the few veterans under contract

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Thoughts?

No thanks. Martin is vital for this team's cup chances this season AND is the best mentor we have for our young guys. Letang is great but he didn't get back to playing his best hockey until paired with Martin. Orpik looked like dog **** except when paired with Martin. He is way too important to us to trade for a first round pick.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Just read that under the new CBA that teams can talk to other teams free agents at June 25th at 12:01 AM. Will be harder to trade niskys rights now if teams can talk to him before the draft

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Just read that under the new CBA that teams can talk to other teams free agents at June 25th at 12:01 AM. Will be harder to trade niskys rights now if teams can talk to him before the draft

Yup. Trading UFA rights don't hold the same value anymore. There still may be a team like the Islanders trading for a guy's rights early like we saw with Boyle. But in Nisky's case, I think most teams look at him and think "he likes it in Pittsburgh so if he's not signing there, he's testing the market". So why would that team give up a mid round pick when they have a chance to speak to him a week before free agency to gauge his demands and interest anyway?

Fedex26

Sep 22, 2009
I think we can still get something for Nisky's rights. Remember, if a team trades for him they can offer him the 8th year and possibly lower the caphit.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

if a team knows they can sign him, they may want to before another team get involved in the bidding. just trying to put a good spin on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad