Speculation: NHL Draft '17

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Definitely do our 1st for Galy. He's a .6 ppg for his career. About .7 last 2 seasonns. Odds of #24 pick doing that are small. Heck I'd probably throw in Milano to make the deal.
That's what I said was 1 for 1 I do it or a small add... maybe Milano because we are still deep with young wings but I'd still be hesitant. But I wouldn't do anything with Murray or Jenner or other pieces we might have available. Murray can get us a better C then Galchenyuk. He's what Jenner is now basically a former C playing wing and being productive.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That's what I said was 1 for 1 I do it or a small add... maybe Milano because we are still deep with young wings but I'd still be hesitant. But I wouldn't do anything with Murray or Jenner or other pieces we might have available. Murray can get us a better C then Galchenyuk. He's what Jenner is now basically a former C playing wing and being productive.

They don't want Murray anyway so he wouldn't be of value to them. Talking to Habs fans they want a center back. So that leaves PLD or Wennberg (Dubi isn't and doesn't have any 1C potential. So unless you really sweeten that 1st I don't see them going for it. Especially if they think we'll be a playoff team next season.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
And that would be fair to ask I just don't see him being our missing piece so I wouldn't give up much. Not saying he doesn't have value just saying I don't think he is what we need to pay that value. I'm between Johnson, Duchene, and Reinhart right now. They fit need and we have pieces that work for all three and all three could reasonably afford to trade those pieces for pieces we have.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I give away a lot to get Drai.. that guy on our team is beast mode..(on any team for that matter) but he plays CBJ hockey. Unfortunately he is untouchable. Tavares is untouchable.. I could do Reinhart.. what would he cost us?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm starting to like Klim Kostin a lot.
I only really like him if Poehling, Anderson, and Yamamoto are gone. I wanted Yamamoto the most for a while now but Poehling seems like he could be a Ryan Kesler and I wouldn't mind having one of those at all. Anderson I think might slip so I see him as a highest floor lower ceiling guy which means guaranteed hit. Kostin has the talent for sure but the KHL stuff scares me.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
My mind is on Robert Thomas, Poehling, or Yamamoto with our first rounder.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
What's up with Thomas I hear his name a lot now is he a late riser? I've also been hearing about Bowers too. Any info on him?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Before I forget to mention him. There a player I wanted badly in the 3rd or 4th round LAST year but he somehow didn't get drafted. Apparently he did nothing but improve what he already had done. His name is vlad kuznetsov and I think unready his nickname was the Russian tank.

With drafting Gavrakov as an overager and the success there and drafting Abromov and him finding success what do you think about GMJK takings a risk in the.4th or.after? I 100% vote yes.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
He's the one I think we should target. It's possible Thomas goes in the top-15 though.

I've got us in a mock draft. If Thomas is on the board I'm taking him, if not I'm probably going with Josh Norris depending on who's available.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I've got us in a mock draft. If Thomas is on the board I'm taking him, if not I'm probably going with Josh Norris depending on who's available.

Thomas and Norris were off the board at 24. Ended up taking Kole Lind after debating between him and Connor Timmins.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Another name to look at is Marcus Davidsson. He's projected by Bob Mackenzie to go 40th in the draft and is the 12th ranked EU skater by Central Scouting. He played center in the SHL Jr. but was used primarily at LW in the SHL.

Downsides: He's a later birthday (November, 1998). He also only put up 5 goals and 4 assists in 45 SHL games this season. 8 of those points came in his first 25 games (so he went 20 games with 1 point). For comparison, Wennberg's draft year he put up 32 points in the SHL.

That said, Davidsson was playing limited minutes on a "kid" line and has been much more impressive at the international level helping Sweden take Silver at the Ivan Hlinka and IIHF U18 World Championship.

Upside: He's very strong when it comes to speed and skating. He's also got high level vision and passing. His two-way game is no slouch either. His key strengths are: Agility, lower body strength, hands in tight, vision/passing, face-off, positioning. On his Jr. SHL team he was on the #1 PP unit and #1 PK unit.

He's seen as a longer term project who is 1-2 years away from making the jump to North America and 3-4 years away from consistent NHL play. That said, his scouting profile screams someone that Jarmo would take a reach on at 24 if other guys he likes are gone.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/prospect-need-to-know-davidsson-brings-an-edge-from-sweden
http://thehockeywriters.com/marcus-davidsson-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/05/02/marcus-davidsson-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-33/

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
IMO Marcus Davidsson is highly underrated. Prospects in the Swedish leagues get used as reserve players and end up not getting much ice time.

Wennberg played for Djurgården in his draft year, but that was when Djurgården had been relegated to Allsvenskan. Wennberg had 32 pts in 46 games, but it wasn't comparable.

Djurgården is back in the top league now, but struggled and that meant playing the veterans and bringing in more players. It's the only Stockholm team in the SHL and there's a lot of pressure to win. Davidsson started out playing well, but saw less ice time.

He may not have as much skill as Wennberg, but could end up a solid 2nd line center. The games I watched this season, Davidsson seemed more focused on his defensively play and he was trusted with a regular shift. But it's hard to judge based on that on his offensive upside. The same is true for Lias Andersson who also likely played more conservatively to earn the trust of coaching staff to get ice time rather than showing a lot of offensive skill. But in J20 SuperElit, Davidsson has put up some big numbers at center.

Davidsson likely will have a much bigger role next season and I could see his point production significantly increasing.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As a fun fact, Davidsson's older brother Jonathan (Jon Davidsson) will be an overager available in this draft. He's projected to go in the late rounds.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Well anyone got some great ideas for 3rd rounders? Because unless Murray goes for a mid first we ain't getting **** this draft.

Any idea on guys like Abramov from last year who really fell. I like Vlad Kuznetsov as an over ager in the 6th or 7th like it worked out with Gavrakov for us. I wanted him in the 4th last year and was surprised no one took him. Taking a.chance in this **** draft might help.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Well anyone got some great ideas for 3rd rounders? Because unless Murray goes for a mid first we ain't getting **** this draft.

Any idea on guys like Abramov from last year who really fell. I like Vlad Kuznetsov as an over ager in the 6th or 7th like it worked out with Gavrakov for us. I wanted him in the 4th last year and was surprised no one took him. Taking a.chance in this **** draft might help.
Aleksi Heponiemi could be this year's Bjorkstrand/Abramov.

He's short, but tall enough for the NHL (5'10-5'11"). He's quite underweight though (150 pounds, maybe less). Other than that he's speedy, skilled, and has high hockey IQ.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
We are probably getting a pick back from Las Vegas. We can't trade them something without getting something in return.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
We are probably getting a pick back from Las Vegas. We can't trade them something without getting something in return.

Unless it's a first, though, I can kiss my dream of having both Rob Thomas and Jack Johnson on the Jackets roster goodbye.

Maybe Vegas selects JJ and then drafts Thomas.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
BFD! While I appreciate the reasons we would have picked 24th and now will start at 83 I will miss the suspense of waiting for the Jackets first pick in the top 10 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad