Speculation: NHL Draft '17

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
I know that season just started, but im looking forward for the next draft, who possibly will be in our interest. I'll be glad if the Jackets take some scoring, right handed wingers/centers, can see Popugayev or Tippett fits the system well.

Who is your favourite to be picked by Jackets? :popcorn:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I know that season just started, but im looking forward for the next draft, who possibly will be in our interest. I'll be glad if the Jackets take some scoring, right handed wingers/centers, can see Popugayev or Tippett fits the system well.

I can't even comprehend the draft right now.. simply thinking about 1 thing: THE PLAYOFFS :D

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

I love your enthusiasm. I really do.

But please understand......there have been too many years in the last 16 that we are FORCED to focus upon the draft about December 1. Please let us enjoy this for a while. Please.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Don't we wind up with like the 31st pick or something like that ? ;-)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I haven't looked at who is in the draft class yet. That is a very good sign.. if you want to throw up the 1st 32 players and a brief bio that might be nice -:handclap:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Will Puljujärvi return to the draft if the Oilers decide to buyout his contract prior to the draft?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am pleased I wasn't forced to start this thread this year. :nod:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I love your enthusiasm. I really do.

But please understand......there have been too many years in the last 16 that we are FORCED to focus upon the draft about December 1. Please let us enjoy this for a while. Please.

Why can't you do both? If you don't want to talk about the draft, don't open the thread that is titled "NHL Draft '17".

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
If it's a late 1st rounder, trade the pick at the deadline for a rent a player.

NO WAY! That is one of the last things we need to do. Making trades at the TD is stupid. You almost never win the trade. We are fine. We are a young team and we are going to keep getting better. The last thing we need to do is trade draft picks, young players, or prospects for a rental.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
NO WAY! That is one of the last things we need to do. Making trades at the TD is stupid. You almost never win the trade. We are fine. We are a young team and we are going to keep getting better. The last thing we need to do is trade draft picks, young players, or prospects for a rental.

I could see a trade at the deadline if we could unload a NMC guy (Hartnell) and we weren't in playoff contention.. I agree we shouldn't mortgage the future to add a guy.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I could see a trade at the deadline if we could unload a NMC guy (Hartnell) and we weren't in playoff contention.. I agree we shouldn't mortgage the future to add a guy.

Yes. I should have been more specific. Buying is not smart.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
But what hole do we even have in the roster right now??
Right now, none but later on at the deadline who knows(Hopefully no one is injured). I still would like to see another center. Keep Wennberg on the 1st line, 2nd line would be new guy(or New guy goes to the top line and Wennberg goes to the 2nd), Dubinsky to the 3rd, and Karlsson to the 4th(this part I hate). Then have Sedlak as the extra body. Only thing is, what number 1/2 centers will be available? Hanzal is one but the asking price was high a month ago and I don't think he's any better the Dubinsky on the 2nd line.
Would it be best to let the team grow together like they are right now in the playoffs? Yes. Would it be better to let the young guys get experience? Again yes but I will admit, I'm a sucker for trades(same with free agency) which is why I suggested trading the 1st at the deadline. Maybe Bjorkstrand/Milano improves and them getting the call ups might be the only moves they make(addition within the organization).

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Since, I like talking about the draft.. I'll chime in anyways.

I really don't know where we would go with our 1st overall draft pick. I could see the Jacket's going Center, Forward, or even Defenseman in the right cases.
1. I'm becoming "less sold" on some of our top prospects, not sure if it's just a case of being "glass half empty" or just having a better team as well. As of now, I think we would go "winger" if we were in the right draft spot, but obviously that can change.
2. Expansion draft upcoming.
3. Finally, It's December 4th and we are one of the better teams in the NHL in the point standings with games in hand. I could see us picking in a wide variety of places.
4. I would love to have Nikita Popugayev, because he is a Russian, 6'6". 203 pound RW with about 40 points in 27 WHL games this year, but I'm definitely not about to get my hopes up after last year and due to the fact, I think he'll be taken before we even could think about drafting.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Since, I like talking about the draft.. I'll chime in anyways.

I really don't know where we would go with our 1st overall draft pick. I could see the Jacket's going Center, Forward, or even Defenseman in the right cases.
1. I'm becoming "less sold" on some of our top prospects, not sure if it's just a case of being "glass half empty" or just having a better team as well. As of now, I think we would go "winger" if we were in the right draft spot, but obviously that can change.
2. Expansion draft upcoming.
3. Finally, It's December 4th and we are one of the better teams in the NHL in the point standings with games in hand. I could see us picking in a wide variety of places.
4. I would love to have Nikita Popugayev, because he is a Russian, 6'6". 203 pound RW with about 40 points in 27 WHL games this year, but I'm definitely not about to get my hopes up after last year and due to the fact, I think he'll be taken before we even could think about drafting.

I hope we won't be getting that

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hard to look ahead when the rankings haven't coalesced enough and we have n idea where team will finish. Add me to the list of don't trade it even if it's late.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I don't like the idea of unloading Hartnell just for the sake of dropping a NMC. He's still our best mentor figure for the kids and we have a ton of kids.

Presuming that the team stays good, the only way I want him leaving this year is if he decides to retire after hoisting the Cup. Or if we're getting one hell of a ripoff deal in return and he's willing to waive. Otherwise, IMO he should stay.

* * *​
I wouldn't mind a TDL trade for Jagr ;)

See, this is the thing. We don't need Jagr. Hartnell is filling that role for us exceptionally well. We could add him, but he hasn't been playing well in the playoffs the last few years, and everything else he does is covered. All it'd get us is historical footnote bragging rights and that warm feeling of seeing "JAGR 68" on the back of a Jackets jersey. Not really worth it IMO.

* * *​

As for the draft itself... at this rate, I'll start caring when it's May or so. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->