NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm undecided if 26 out of 250+ is like absolutely horrendous and they should shut this down immediately or if that is a good number and they were expecting it to be a lot worse
Well it's roughly 10 to 11 teams worth of players and each would have on average one line that might be ineligible to play for an entire round.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
They are. Can't think of a single athlete who has got sick from this, aside from one basketball player claiming to have lost his sense of smell.

This is simply not accurate. We don’t have enough information to say the severity of symptoms since players are not being announced/not speaking out.

There are several cases a year of players missing weeks from flu and norovirus in all sports. To say that players who are getting a worse virus are “not getting sick” is irresponsible. Asymptomatic when tested doesn’t mean they’ll not have any symptoms. Many test positive when they have none and develop symptoms days later.

I’m not arguing for or against the season returning but let’s use actual science and data in supporting our opinions. Majority of people in general who have got coronavirus say the symptoms are worse than the seasonal flu.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This is simply not accurate. We don’t have enough information to say the severity of symptoms since players are not being announced/not speaking out.

There are several cases a year of players missing weeks from flu and norovirus in all sports. To say that players who are getting a worse virus are “not getting sick” is irresponsible. Asymptomatic when tested doesn’t mean they’ll not have any symptoms. Many test positive when they have none and develop symptoms days later.

I’m not arguing for or against the season returning but let’s use actual science and data in supporting our opinions. Majority of people in general who have got coronavirus say the symptoms are worse than the seasonal flu.
This is an incredibly disingenuous argument considering every single player is being tested. If every single civilian was getting tested, the numbers of people presenting the covid antibodies would be astronomical. The fact of the matter is a ridiculous amount of people are getting this virus and are truly asymptomatic.

To call it worse than the flu is silly in this context, because you're either sick as a dog because you have the flu, or you're fine because you don't. A very high % of people with COVID don't even know they have it, until they become a professional athlete and are tested for it while feeling fine to get into a bubble to play sports. :nod:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

I get your point... it is a fair one. But if people are going to act like 26 positive tests is too high a number for the league to resume, they then cant say its too small a sample size when someone points out none of the cases were anywhere close to serious ones.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
So now 3-4 more St. Louis players test positive. How long until they give this crazy plan up?

I know they would have to pay back a TON of money to the networks if playoffs don't happen, but why doesn't an insurance claim cover that? Surely a worldwide pandemic falls under "acts of god" and they are covered by insurance, no?

Tons of younger people in America are testing positive now, and many are in hospital. It's not just grandma and grandpa who are suck anymore. Soon, a player or two will get seriously sick and they will stop this ridiculousness. Won't they?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
This is an incredibly disingenuous argument considering every single player is being tested. If every single civilian was getting tested, the numbers of people presenting the covid antibodies would be astronomical. The fact of the matter is a ridiculous amount of people are getting this virus and are truly asymptomatic.

To call it worse than the flu is silly in this context, because you're either sick as a dog because you have the flu, or you're fine because you don't. A very high % of people with COVID don't even know they have it, until they become a professional athlete and are tested for it while feeling fine to get into a bubble to play sports. :nod:

That is inaccurate. Experts say there are asymptomatic flu cases and flu cases that present as just cold symptoms.

According to antibody tests carried out in different countries, among unvaccinated people, 20% had evidence of flu symptoms according to antibodies but 3/4ths never knew they had it.

NEJM Journal Watch: Summaries of and commentary on original medical and scientific articles from key medical journals

We simply just dont test for asymptomatic flu cases but they are just as prevalent. Covid-19 being an asymptomatic disease to many is not unique, most viruses have lots of asymptomatic people.

Some experts even think there were people who were asymptomatic to ebola.

Reactions: wintersej

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I know they would have to pay back a TON of money to the networks if playoffs don't happen, but why doesn't an insurance claim cover that?

What insurance is that? Likely one that doesn't exist.

Your fear mongering has long since grown tired. You don't seem to grasp the fact that these players are coming from uncontrolled situations and there were always going to be positive cases.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
What insurance is that? Likely one that doesn't exist.

Your fear mongering has long since grown tired. You don't seem to grasp the fact that these players are coming from uncontrolled situations and there were always going to be positive cases.

LMAO. Too funny. 52 thousand new cases day now in the US, and I'm "fear mongering". Oh, and there are 132 thousand dead in case you didn't notice. It's a wee bit of a disaster, Kid.

It ain't "fear mongering", Dude. I'm just not a completely entitled child, like many others on here, that demand to be entertained by some hockey, in the midst of a bad pandemic.

:)

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Just cancel the season already. By the time they get around to playing nobody will be even remotely invested in the outcome of the season, especially if players end up getting sick throughout the playoffs.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Just cancel the season already. By the time they get around to playing nobody will be even remotely invested in the outcome of the season, especially if players end up getting sick throughout the playoffs.
Exactly, even most die hard hockey fans have stopped caring. There is the vocal minority that needs their hockey this summer. But if I have a choice between watching my team in the fake playoffs or camping August long, I am going camping.

Reactions: RorschachWJK

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
LMAO. Too funny. 52 thousand new cases day now in the US, and I'm "fear mongering". Oh, and there are 132 thousand dead in case you didn't notice. It's a wee bit of a disaster, Kid.

It ain't "fear mongering", Dude. I'm just not a completely entitled child, like many others on here, that demand to be entertained by some hockey, in the midst of a bad pandemic.

Wait, you’re not a kid? It would have explained a lot.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The NHLPA is gonna refuse to play now, 100%. It's too bad, woulda been nice to watch some hockey this summer :(.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Exactly, even most die hard hockey fans have stopped caring. There is the vocal minority that needs their hockey this summer. But if I have a choice between watching my team in the fake playoffs or camping August long, I am going camping.

Why not do both?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is anyone surprised some of the players who have been out in society at large have Covid-19?

This was always going to happen. It will happen next season as well.

If you are worried about the wellbeing of players, them being in the playoff bubble will provide better protection than being out of it.

Reactions: yada

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Containing this global pandemic and eventually beating it with as few deaths as possible is far more important that money, sports, etc. I want sports back as much as anyone, but I have perspective and priorities. Unfortunately not enough people do right now.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

AMEN

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
So now 3-4 more St. Louis players test positive. How long until they give this crazy plan up?

I know they would have to pay back a TON of money to the networks if playoffs don't happen, but why doesn't an insurance claim cover that? Surely a worldwide pandemic falls under "acts of god" and they are covered by insurance, no?

Tons of younger people in America are testing positive now, and many are in hospital. It's not just grandma and grandpa who are suck anymore. Soon, a player or two will get seriously sick and they will stop this ridiculousness. Won't they?

how long are you willing to play covid for? are you willing to be home with your mask on a year from now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad