NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Funny that this thread is crickets now that there's good COVID news. It's almost as if the "shut it down now" crowd is disappointed that the NHL season is going to likely continue. Sucks for them but good for hockey fans.
As someone who doubted we could get sports going this summer I am very happy to see only 2 players tested positive. I also was wary on bars opening in my county, but we've been able to do that without seeing any spikes.

It just goes to show you- if the population and those in charge take it seriously, then we can enjoy a sense of normal. If people are downplaying the virus and not taking it seriously...well, you become Az, Fl, TX...and the good things vanish.

Here's to hoping we can have some hockey in August!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don’t think you know what a fact is. How can you state only 5 people on earth have gotten it twice as a fact.
Here's a fact: After five months of non-stop Covid-19 coverage, there have been a minuscule number of people who MAY have been re-infected. Considering that most of the 14.8 million cases were infected by someone they're close to, you'd expect a sizeable number of them to get it twice as the virus re-circulates around the same household. That hasn't happened. Considering that health workers are exposed to Covid-19 on a daily basis, you'd expect a sizeable number of them to get it twice as they're being exposed over and over and over. That hasn't happened either.

So 14.8 million registered cases, 14.8 million chances of getting it twice, and yet all we've seen are a tiny number of unconfirmed reports of reinfections.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, why wouldn't it be

Because 1 random person claiming they got COVID-19 twice doesn't invalidate all of the studies that say that re-infection isn't possible (or hasn't been possible yet).

It is possible that they got re-infected, because we don't know how long anti-bodies actually last yet, but it goes against basically everything we've heard so far.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Because 1 random person claiming they got COVID-19 twice doesn't invalidate all of the studies that say that re-infection isn't possible (or hasn't been possible yet).

It is possible that they got re-infected, because we don't know how long anti-bodies actually last yet, but it goes against basically everything we've heard so far.

What, you mean the studies on macaque monkeys that I'm not putting much faith in?

I honestly trust these two woman to tell the truth more than anyone in any position of power in our government right now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
So you're putting more faith in a WWE correspondent over actual scientists?

That just tells me you have a "COVID-19 is the doomsday" agenda to push here.

She is not the only one

Israeli doctor reinfected with coronavirus 3 months after recovering

COVID-19: Can you get infected with COVID twice, herd immunity

"The possibility of reinfection is certainly real," Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told USA TODAY. "And one that I am seeing repeatedly on the front lines."

I guess Dr. Glatter is just pushing a doomsday agenda too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
She is not the only one

Israeli doctor reinfected with coronavirus 3 months after recovering

COVID-19: Can you get infected with COVID twice, herd immunity

"The possibility of reinfection is certainly real," Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told USA TODAY. "And one that I am seeing repeatedly on the front lines."

I guess Dr. Glatter is just pushing a doomsday agenda too.

No, you're the only one here with a doomsday agenda. I never said it was impossible for re-infections to be possible, it just hasn't been proven yet. You dismissing studies because you don't like them to promote random people claiming it's possible just makes you look insanely biased. Is re-infection with COVID possible? Yes, it is, but citing people like WWE commentators claiming they got COVID-19 twice as proof is laughable. Reference an actual study, not a WWE commentator or a physician claiming that he has seen people with COVID multiple times.

You're referencing random people that are using anecdotal evidence to claim that re-infection with COVID is possible. They saying "I have seen people get COVID multiple times, so it's possible" is about as valid as me saying "I haven't seen people get COVID multiple times, so it's not possible". Physicians and a commentators are not virologists.

Reactions: joestevens29

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No, you're the only one here with a doomsday agenda. I never said it was impossible for re-infections to be possible, it just hasn't been proven yet. You dismissing studies because you don't like them to promote random people claiming it's possible just makes you look insanely biased. Is re-infection with COVID possible? Yes, it is, but citing people like WWE commentators claiming they got COVID-19 twice as proof is laughable. Reference an actual study, not a WWE commentator or a physician claiming that he has seen people with COVID multiple times.

You're referencing random people that are using anecdotal evidence to claim that re-infection with COVID is possible. They saying "I have seen people get COVID multiple times, so it's possible" is about as valid as me saying "I haven't seen people get COVID multiple times, so it's not possible". Physicians and a commentators are not virologists.

I'm dismissing studies because 1.) I dont necessarily trust studies done on monkeys and how they relate to actual human beings 2.) everything that has been reported about this virus has been later contradicted, we still have no idea what the hell is going on 3.) depending on what site you are looking at that is right or left leaning you can get information that is ranging all over the place, it has been completely politicized.

I'm having a hard time really knowing who and what to believe or not.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Until there is actual evidence instead of twitter he said / she said, nobody knows for sure if you can get it twice. Reputable scientists saying "maybe" and "it's possible" also does not answer any question. We just don't know until there is actual legitimate proof.

Like someone said last page, it is also possible for someone to test positive twice months apart but only have it once. The tests are not foolproof, there are false positives.

Obviously I hope you can't...but you might...and that would be terrible. Who knows.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What, you mean the studies on macaque monkeys that I'm not putting much faith in?

I honestly trust these two woman to tell the truth more than anyone in any position of power in our government right now.

I've heard epidemiologist suggest that these might be a case of the virus being suppressed to the point of testing negative but not actually recovering and the virus reactivating again, rather than actually getting it twice. I don't think getting symptoms in separate periods necessarily means two separate infections

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I've heard epidemiologist suggest that these might be a case of the virus being suppressed to the point of testing negative but not actually recovering and the virus reactivating again, rather than actually getting it twice. I don't think getting symptoms in separate periods necessarily means two separate infections

That is just as bad as "getting it twice". Arguably even worse because that means years down the line these symptoms can continue to pop up out of nowhere.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That is just as bad as "getting it twice". Arguably even worse because that means years down the line these symptoms can continue to pop up out of nowhere.

It seems like its the worst cases that have the more chance of this "reinfection", and they're not that far apart. I think it's more the idea that you start to get better but then get worse, not that you can be totally fine for years and then have it come back. Though it could be (like shingles with chicken pox), we just don't know. I think for right now though, the issue is more that people might be infectious for longer after "recovery" than we thought, not that people are likely to get reinfected.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Funny that this thread is crickets now that there's good COVID news. It's almost as if the "shut it down now" crowd is disappointed that the NHL season is going to likely continue. Sucks for them but good for hockey fans.

There is no "shut it down" crowd. There is a "I'm proceeding with cautious optimism because of how quickly things can change with the virus and I wont believe it until I see it but you bet your ass I'm screaming at the top of my lungs when Panarin and Zibanejad hook up for a sick goal a minute into Game 1 against Carolina" crowd.

While also having extreme concern about how the virus is just getting WORSE across America and how that will impact us having a 2020-21 season.

I'm more concerned about that than anything and have serious worries about us having an NFL season.

Last edited:

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It's especially funny because the situation is actually rapidly getting worse in Alberta (edmonton specifically.) There's now a week long testing delay, and the last reported period jumped from ~130 new cases to 360+ new cases in one day.

"durr i don't see people saying the same things they've been saying for weeks in this thread, must be getting better!"

Its just about the stupidest thing i've read all day, and I read the proposed statement from the education minister in alberta to be given later today (it's very stupid.)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's especially funny because the situation is actually rapidly getting worse in Alberta (edmonton specifically.) There's now a week long testing delay, and the last reported period jumped from ~130 new cases to 360+ new cases in one day.

"durr i don't see people saying the same things they've been saying for weeks in this thread, must be getting better!"

Its just about the stupidest thing i've read all day, and I read the proposed statement from the education minister in alberta to be given later today (it's very stupid.)
no it's not

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
COVID-19 relaunch status map

Edmonton- Dugan is the only major city location with an infection rate higher than 100/100,000.

It's not an offensive thing, I'm not attacking Edmonton, just weird that you are disputing this.
because the situation isn't "rapidly getting worse" in Edmonton

percent pos.JPG

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There is no "shut it down" crowd. There is a "I'm proceeding with cautious optimism because of how quickly things can change with the virus and I wont believe it until I see it but you bet your ass I'm screaming at the top of my lungs when Panarin and Zibanejad hook up for a sick goal a minute into Game 1 against Carolina" crowd.

While also having extreme concern about how the virus is just getting WORSE across America and how that will impact us having a 2020-21 season.

I'm more concerned about that than anything and have serious worries about us having an NFL season.

I get the concern, of course. My point is that every time there was a tweet about positive tests, a certain group of posters came flying out of the woodwork screaming for the league to shut it down immediately or in other words, completely overreacting to what was fully expected in the early phases.

Most people who were thinking rationally were stating to let this play out until the later phases to see if the outbreaks became more widespread and now that virtually nobody is testing positive in the later phase (surprise surprise), a lot of these posters disappeared whereas they were flooding the threads of more concerning reports.

I agree about the concern over the NFL season because they aren't playing in a bubble in Canada. Completely different situation with them and MLB. I also doubt those seasons get completed unfortunately.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad