NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yep. The epicentres of the protests are not the places seeing the big spikes now. So no, it wasn't the protests. It clearly was re-opening too early. Places like Texas and Florida made a big deal of being able to re-open quickly and safely. Well, a month later and look where they're at.

All the evidence shows that transmission risk is much lower outdoors. The highest risk locations are places like bars, which many dumb politicians have rushed to re-open.

I saw a study that actually found evidence the protests blunted the spread of covid-19. Because some cities/states mandated curfews, there was actually less total mobility. Obviously there were protestors, but the curfews caused a much greater amount of people to reduce their activities.

If you look at the arrests during the protests/riots, a commonality is a lot of out of towners coming in for it. Which makes sense. These are organized events by organizations such as BLM or Antifa oftentimes and locals tend to be busy with other things and don’t want to trash their own town (in the case of rioters).

Following that, it doesn’t disprove anything. Even without that information, correlation doesn’t prove causation. It’s a basic foundation of research. Just because local numbers don’t correlate to Increased totals doesn’t mean it had no effect. Other variables could be at play (such as out of towners) or the data could just be bad or lagging or they could be misinterpreted.

I’m sure the gatherings of hundreds upon thousands of people across the country giving zero f***s about social distancing had some level of effect. Doesn’t mean it was the only contributing variable or it was necessarily a huge one in any given area.

Evergreen

Just get the damn virus and start to recover. Let everyone just get it now and then let them enter the bubble.
My close friend's parents, who were 57 and had no pre-existing conditions, both died from coronavirus. My friend had flown from Seattle to L.A. and she started feeling sick a few days after landing in L.A. Then her parents started feeling sick a few days later. They were in the hospital 3 days later and died within 10 days. My friend has been inconsolable since. People like you saying ignorant stuff like this bothers the heck out of me. This isn't a virus that everyone can just "get over." Even healthy people are dying or dealing with life-altering effects of the virus long after they test positive.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah. Slippery slope. Same argument was made against seatbelts and vaccines. Wearing a mask isn't a big deal. Honestly you would think it was having fingernails pulled out.

Slippery slope arguments are literally logical fallacies by actual definition. It’s like with any other argument people default to the most worst case or hyperbolic scenario To justify their stance. Like people against any amount of gun restrictions defaulting to “what if the government turns on us and uses gun restrictions to remove our ability to fight back”.

It’s a f***ing mask/face covering. It’s pretty simple and unobtrusive. There are plenty more restrictive things (for good reason) in every day life that people don’t get stupid about because they’re normalized. Not talking in a library, no shirt no shoes no service, employer rules, drivers licenses, pretty much any rules set forth by a private business or entity, etc.

Last edited:

Svane

Jul 5, 2020
Just get the damn virus and start to recover. Let everyone just get it now and then let them enter the bubble.
Agreed. These are all NHL players if they couldn't handle a relatively harmless virus like this they would never have made it in the big show. 45 cases and all asymptomic.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Agreed. These are all NHL players if they couldn't handle a relatively harmless virus like this they would never have made it in the big show. 45 cases and all asymptomic.

You sound very scientific. Like someone with a professional opinion or a research background.

Them being asymptomatic probably has more to do with their ages and not being immunocompromised than anything else. Meaning, not part of the vulnerable population. There’s a laundry list of other things wrong with what you said, but that’s enough really. Including the fact that you have no way of knowing who all the players who got sick were and how every single one reacted.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm just wondering when I ask this. If the virus gets so well spread out, does containment even do anything besides delay the likelihood someone will catch it regardless

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Forgive a little speculations here.

For the Blues, we’d been told ‘multiple players’ had tested positive. When camp started, Parayko and Bortuzzo were the only guys expected to be there who weren’t, evidently the Covid positives. Parayko was fit to return a couple days ago.

I suspect Dunn tested positive after camp started, since he was out today. When asked, Berube referred questions to the league. Now it may be that all injury absences will be handled this way, and it isn’t Covid-related. That would actually be more consistent if the intent is to not make it obvious who tested positive.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
nhl players? i haven't heard of any
Because it’s black and white: dead or alive. Ignore all the possible life long respiratory complications. These pro athletes won’t need their lungs after they recover.

also if you give every athlete the virus, you’ll start getting deaths.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I'm just wondering when I ask this. If the virus gets so well spread out, does containment even do anything besides delay the likelihood someone will catch it regardless

Well it seems that the antibodies last typically few months. So it could go so that everyone is getting it every half year if its everywhere. Its not all over once everyone has got it.

Vaccine series can be still possibly developed which will provide long term immunity and it starts to look promising that within one year, such are in markets with enough portions as well. At this point it is kind of too late for US to do too much,but countries that now has good corona situation, definitely should keep it in control until vaccine.

When autumn comes and it will spread much more effectively, US will likely face a massive wave and its almost impossible to avoid anymore. Of course there are some states that containing makes more sense

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
And all those who have to interact with these players on a day-to-day basis? Team staff? Medical staff? Their families?

Not like we can just lock all the players alone in a room until they get better. Spreading the virus, even to a "healthy" segment of the population raises the risk that it spreads to everyone else.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I have a healthy friend in his early 30s in ICU now just outside of Austin. He very well might not make it. What an ignorant statement.

edit: He was released and will be ok.

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

If this we’re to happen, chances of an NHL player dying OR having future complications from the virus is likely.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Police in Minneapolis found that the people coming in specifically for rioting/looting were from out out town. Peaceful protestors were largely from the surrounding communities.

And if correlation doesn't cause causation, why are people claiming the reverse? That the protests caused covid-19 spikes. The facts remain, the new epicentres weren't the locations of the protests.

And lol at the "antifa" boogeyman. The antifa isn't even an organization. It's a label conservatives give to any protestors they happen not to like. Please find the antifa HQ so I can sign up or donate, loool
I think you may have a little bit of research to do...

Reactions: Casanova

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I highly doubt the cup will be awarded this year despite all they say. Things are gonna get dirty again soon. Wave 2 probably harsher than wave 1. Just like the Spanish flu.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

Georges Laraque was hospitalized due to COVID-19 and he's a heck of an athlete even today. He was training for a marathon just before, and when it hit him he felt exhausted when he had to walk to the toilet. It's well known at this point that even healthy people can suffer from important complications from this virus. Even athletes could.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Yea just put the players health at risk and not your own. Easy to do behind your device.

One of the better baseball players (Freddie Freeman) just said he didn’t know if he was going to make it after experiencing some bad symptoms and and a fever of 104.5. This affects everyone.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Georges Laraque was hospitalized due to COVID-19 and he's a heck of an athlete even today. He was training for a marathon just before, and when it hit him he felt exhausted when he had to walk to the toilet. It's well known at this point that even healthy people can suffer from important complications from this virus. Even athletes could.

Lacraque went from being hospitalized in a near death state to being fully healthy the next day. He also probably is the only 350 pound vegan on earth.

Poor guy is just in need of attention.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

Wow people are totally ignorant about this pandemic.

There is no immunity. People can get the virus multiple times.

Scientists are finding that those who are "asymptomatic" are also getting brain fog. There is a chance that there may be long term mental effects.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
Lacraque went from being hospitalized in a near death state to being fully healthy the next day. He also probably is the only 350 pound vegan on earth.

Poor guy is just in need of attention.

He was hospitalized for five days....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad