NHL COVID player testing updates- JUL 27th Update. No new cases recorded. Total still 45

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
You're right. Hundreds of thousands of people forming tightly packed crowds must have nothing to do with the rise in cases. The virus simply stops spreading whenever social justice is involved.

I'd agree with your last statement, and no doubt it contributed to some cases, but it is quite clear (statistically) which states are hurting and they were the ones with early re-opening and lax rules. Stop pretending otherwise.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don’t get worked up about this either way, reasonable people can disagree over what’s too risky and what’s acceptable, but it seems to me (in my opinion alone) as if the counts are too high now for it to be reasonable to continue.

10% positive strikes me as too high.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yes. Trust the experts. Because they are WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more educated about all of this than us.

Remember how doctors back in the 40's and 50's and 60's used to smoke? I'd wonder why the hell they are smoking, but still trust them to give me advice about high blood pressure or heart stuff or diabetes, over YOU. Because they went to school. They are educated in that stuff. You? Uh.....

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Ok, so then why then are governors not allowing large gathering outsides and closing beaches?
Beaches aren't the problem (IMO). It's what people do (hit bars) after the beach. I believe that most governors are banning all gatherings of over X number of people.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The correlation between cities with protest and the cities with high numbers right now is ZERO. Absolutely zero. NYC, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc... some of the biggest protest cities... have seen zero spike. At most of the protests many were wearing masks and it was outside.

Its the states that opened up bars and restaurants and have not been encouraging mask wearing and have been downplaying the virus (especially Texas, Florida, and Arizona) that have been the problem.

California is a bit of an outlier in that they were a leader in taking it seriously, but the governor gave into the business interests and loud wackos like Elon Musk too early and now the LA area is in trouble.

Most of the rioters/protesters were out of state/not local. Which makes sense. So there shouldn’t necessarily be a link between local numbers and the riots/protests.

The guy was way off base and obviously biased by acting like it’s a mysterious if there’s other factors, but it’s no doubt a contributing factor to some extent. It’s not just this one thing or that one thing. Proximity and masks are two things that can cause or prevent spread. Doesn’t matter if it’s in the context of riots/protests or extremely lax mandates and early re-openings.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The correlation between cities with protest and the cities with high numbers right now is ZERO. Absolutely zero. NYC, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc... some of the biggest protest cities... have seen zero spike. At most of the protests many were wearing masks and it was outside.

Its the states that opened up bars and restaurants and have not been encouraging mask wearing and have been downplaying the virus (especially Texas, Florida, and Arizona) that have been the problem.

California is a bit of an outlier in that they were a leader in taking it seriously, but the governor gave into the business interests and loud wackos like Elon Musk too early and now the LA area is in trouble.

Yep. The epicentres of the protests are not the places seeing the big spikes now. So no, it wasn't the protests. It clearly was re-opening too early. Places like Texas and Florida made a big deal of being able to re-open quickly and safely. Well, a month later and look where they're at.

All the evidence shows that transmission risk is much lower outdoors. The highest risk locations are places like bars, which many dumb politicians have rushed to re-open.

I saw a study that actually found evidence the protests blunted the spread of covid-19. Because some cities/states mandated curfews, there was actually less total mobility. Obviously there were protestors, but the curfews caused a much greater amount of people to reduce their activities.

Reactions: Mordoch

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
There are reports of people having chonic fatigue syndrome months having being cleared of the virus. That would not be good for an athlete.
As a CFS sufferer at just 31 that sucks if it’s true, it’s truly a life changing illness.

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Largely because a not insignificant number of Americans seem to think being asked to wear a mask (to protect others, not themselves) is too much. A violation of their freedoms. An abuse of the Constitution. A sign of weakness. And other similar brain addled reasons.

I love this country, but these days too many fools seem to think they are afforded a birthright of unlimited "freedoms" that excuse them being dumb shits. If the Constitution is so far reaching, how come these idiots aren't allowed to drive down the highway at 150 MPH?
While I 100% am agreeing with you on all your points I’m definitely one of those people that gets very worried when the government starts to get into really iffy territory on our constitutional rights. I just feel like we reap the benefits all the time of that freedom and so it’s kind of like we have to maybe go through some tough times and things to keep the core structure of it the same. Once you give an inch, they take a mile

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
So why are the numbers in the US skyrocketing?
Guess the ridiculous marches and riots are to blame, but are there other factors as well?

You would be wrong. Blame it more on a push to re-open everything than anything else. Not having a solid plan in place to combat it(current wave and any future outbreaks). Not having mask-wearing orders in place. Etc., etc. etc.

Marches and riots had less of an impact on the numbers accelerating than what I mentioned above.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
When 1st set of numbers came out, people were saying thats fine, it's only 5% of all players. Now that we are sitting at ~8.5% and going up, has anything changed in your mind. What happens when league gets to 10%, 15%? There is nothing showing that it wont happen, and everything pointing to odds that numbers will keep climbing.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
And THEN we have this: A few hours ago, TSN's Darren Dreger RT'ed a series of tweets from the Penguins that said 9 players from their training camp roster will be sidelined due to them having potential secondary exposure to someone who tested positive for coronavirus. The team learned of this yesterday and they decided to isolate those players out of caution. They'll be out of action until they are deemed safe per NHL protocol and future test results.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Well there isn’t going to be a cure or vaccine. They said they were making a vaccine for SARS and other pandemics and they just can’t. The flu strain just can’t find one common vaccine that’s going to bring immunity. It won’t happen. People will continue to get sick, some will die.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
When 1st set of numbers came out, people were saying thats fine, it's only 5% of all players. Now that we are sitting at ~8.5% and going up, has anything changed in your mind. What happens when league gets to 10%, 15%? There is nothing showing that it wont happen, and everything pointing to odds that numbers will keep climbing.

Keep in mind that the total numbers should subtract those who are no longer sick. It doesn’t look like it does.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well there isn’t going to be a cure or vaccine. They said they were making a vaccine for SARS and other pandemics and they just can’t. The flu strain just can’t find one common vaccine that’s going to bring immunity. It won’t happen. People will continue to get sick, some will die.

Yep, people live, some will die. Life goes on.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto

The number who actually have it right now is probably still at 5%. The guys from 2 weeks ago (like Matthews) have started recovering.

They need to keep up the testing and physical distancing as much as possible now, during phase 3, so that as many as possible are entering the hubs healthy.

I’d say the numbers are looking pretty good. It’s all on the players now to make sure they are staying as safe as possible before entering the bubble cities.

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
thanks china.

dennis90

Aug 30, 2019
You would be wrong. Blame it more on a push to re-open everything than anything else. Not having a solid plan in place to combat it(current wave and any future outbreaks). Not having mask-wearing orders in place. Etc., etc. etc.

Marches and riots had less of an impact on the numbers accelerating than what I mentioned above.
Nah, i am correct... screaming and yelling will spread this virus like no other way.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
While I 100% am agreeing with you on all your points I’m definitely one of those people that gets very worried when the government starts to get into really iffy territory on our constitutional rights. I just feel like we reap the benefits all the time of that freedom and so it’s kind of like we have to maybe go through some tough times and things to keep the core structure of it the same. Once you give an inch, they take a mile
Yeah. Slippery slope. Same argument was made against seatbelts and vaccines. Wearing a mask isn't a big deal. Honestly you would think it was having fingernails pulled out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad