NHL could split media rights in next deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
OK, so appears deal will be split. NBC weighing out desire to keep NFL Sunday Nights (and pay a king's ransom for the rights, to the point that they might have to step away from other sports, including Olympics); would like to keep live sports. Sounds like partial-deal with NBC and possibly ESPN. Streaming rights (formerly with MLBAM then bought by Disney as DSS; they run NHL.tv) also expire this summer.

So might need to get EPSN+ and/or Peacock+ for streaming.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
OK, so appears deal will be split. NBC weighing out desire to keep NFL Sunday Nights (and pay a king's ransom for the rights, to the point that they might have to step away from other sports, including Olympics); would like to keep live sports. Sounds like partial-deal with NBC and possibly ESPN. Streaming rights (formerly with MLBAM then bought by Disney as DSS; they run NHL.tv) also expire this summer.

So might need to get EPSN+ and/or Peacock+ for streaming.

The only thing I know for certain is the NHL on NBC staffers in Boston last night have no clue about next year.

The elephant in the room is FOX and what do they plan to do in a possible NHL bid.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Have to wonder if CBS is interested as well.

CBS would hurt viewership big time. CBS Network isn't even on a standard package if you have comcast. I have to have the sports and entertainment package just to get that network.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CBS would hurt viewership big time. CBS Network isn't even on a standard package if you have comcast. I have to have the sports and entertainment package just to get that network.

FS1 is in most homes, FS2 not so much but FX and FXX could be used.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FOX no longer owns FX and FXX, those were sold off to Disney in the 21st Century FOX deal.

However - What if Fox and Disney become partners with the NHL?

You have to ask the question on why the Comcast CEO did NOT mention the NHL in his comment yesterday and also said

And but there will be therefore tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued. And that'll be someone else's good fortune, perhaps.

:dunno:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

You have to ask the question on why the Comcast CEO did NOT mention the NHL in his comment yesterday and also said

And but there will be therefore tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued. And that'll be someone else's good fortune, perhaps.

That’s true, but I don’t see FX used as a addition network in that scenario. I think it would be FS2 for FOX and ESPN 2 for Disney. I think NBC is likely out based on what you have theorized and I think SNF is the their main priority and if they have to lose the NHL to keep it they will.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That’s true, but I don’t see FX used as a addition network in that scenario. I think it would be FS2 for FOX and ESPN 2 for Disney. I think NBC is likely out based on what you have theorized and I think SNF is their main priority and if they have to lose the NHL to keep it they will.

In the end, the BoG will go with whatever option brings in the most cash.

*FULL DISCLOSURE*

As a contractor, I signed on with Comcast-owned OLN for the 2005-06 season and that was a bare-bones operation that had its studios in the old Spectrum in South Philly.

Incredibly OLN which became Versus is today NBC Sports.

If Ed Snider was still alive Comcast would continue to be the NHL partner but.............

A friend is a manager of a bar in Cambridge, MA and she called me tonight crying over the disaster they had earlier today trying to show a major EPL game on Peacock between Liverpool and Chelsea. The bar is hanging on by a thread because of COVID and to get Peacock they had to get an Xfinity box because DirecTV doesn't offer Peacock. The problem was all the TVs were out of sync as every TV processes the signal independently.

I had watched the game and was on the phone and I was 3 seconds ahead of him watching............that is the reality of streaming.

I have one fond memory of the NHL on ESPN

The last year of the Boston Garden ESPN2 invited long time Bruins radio voice Bob Wilson to call a game with no warning.

Bob 'retired' when the Bruins radio station laid him off because of the lockout but it took him less than a minute to become the voice Bruins fans beloved. It was the last game he ever called.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
In the end, the BoG will go with whatever option brings in the most cash.

*FULL DISCLOSURE*

As a contractor, I signed on with Comcast-owned OLN for the 2005-06 season and that was a bare-bones operation that had its studios in the old Spectrum in South Philly.

Incredibly OLN which became Versus is today NBC Sports.

If Ed Snider was still alive Comcast would continue to be the NHL partner but.............

A friend is a manager of a bar in Cambridge, MA and she called me tonight crying over the disaster they had earlier today trying to show a major EPL game on Peacock between Liverpool and Chelsea. The bar is hanging on by a thread because of COVID and to get Peacock they had to get an Xfinity box because DirecTV doesn't offer Peacock. The problem was all the TVs were out of sync as every TV processes the signal independently.

I had watched the game and was on the phone and I was 3 seconds ahead of him watching............that is the reality of streaming.

I have one fond memory of the NHL on ESPN

The last year of the Boston Garden ESPN2 invited long time Bruins radio voice Bob Wilson to call a game with no warning.

Bob 'retired' when the Bruins radio station laid him off because of the lockout but it took him less than a minute to become the voice Bruins fans beloved. It was the last game he ever called.

I’m well aware of the BOG history of TV contracts which is why I’m not of the opinion it is a lock NBC sticks on. That was a great clip btw, Milbury actually came off as likable. Boston Garden must have been a great place for broadcaster with the small ice surface and booth in the crowd basically. It’s going to interesting how the TV deal affects how the league is covered and promoted for sure.

Reactions: Fenway

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

I’m not going to read into the comment. Should note the question referenced the Premier League rights coming up for auction. That comment could very well be in reference to that. NBC also has other non-NHL rights up.

I agree the BOG will take the most money. Though this could be a short term mistake because they could end up taking a bidder out of the subsequent round of media right negotiations (see the NHL Espn/Fox late 90’s where the NHL took the big money from ESPN only to find themselves squeezed the next time around when ESPN had virtual monopoly power).

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
FS1/2 are active on Charter Spectrum, no upgrade needed same with CBSSN, which is/was equivalent to the soon to be gone NBCSN

FS1 is in about 80+ million homes (same as NBCSN currently). I believe FS2 in about 50 million homes. CBSSN is in about 50 million homes as well.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
FS1 is in about 80+ million homes (same as NBCSN currently). I believe FS2 in about 50 million homes. CBSSN is in about 50 million homes as well.
all 3 of them are not subscription services, where you have to call to add them...

NBCSN: 52/314;
CBSSN: 315;
FS1: 75/400:
FS2: 401

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
all 3 of them are not subscription services, where you have to call to add them...

NBCSN: 52/314;
CBSSN: 315;
FS1: 75/400:
FS2: 401

not every cable system is the same. Most systems at this point have FS1 and NBCSN on the same bulk tier that doesn’t require an extra subscription to a sports pack or higher tier than the most popular package. That is why you should go by the number of homes to judge reach.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
not every cable system is the same. Most systems at this point have FS1 and NBCSN on the same bulk tier that doesn’t require an extra subscription to a sports pack or higher tier than the most popular package. That is why you should go by the number of homes to judge reach.
doesn't matter how many homes the networks are in, jkr....

the majority here have all 3 or 4, because it also includes VIACOMCBS, NBCU, AND FOX (Sky-F1), which ESPN /Disney simulcasts those in the states....

who doesn't have those networks, not just their cable networks...and then add in other networks that they own (USA)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
CBS now has Paramount Plus with sports content on, so the NHL could slide in there.
no it's not.

CBSSN prides itself as the cable home of VIACOMCBS, and its Sports division, Kirk..... I don't think you'd want March Madness on a streaming service full-time, rather than TruTV or that existing contract that the NCAA has

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019

I agree. It was interesting the CEO of Comcast Corp. did not mention the NHL in the interview. He mentioned other properties and spoke of existing and future media right. I believe not mentioning the NHL was not a mistake and had a purpose behind it. The question is why?' There are a few scenarios that is could be.

1) NBC Universal/Comcast is not happy with how negotiations are going. They are looking for a long term deal and are not feeling any loyalty from the league. It is because of the NBC/NHL partnership that the league can even ask for a large rights fee increase. That is a tough spot for the NHL to be in as they have to listen to everyone. I am hoping all things being equal (the money is about the same) the NHL will factor in loyalty in their decision making.

2) NBC has decided not to match bids from ESPN and Fox. Signaled by saying because of doubling of NFL rights and streaming costs " there will therefore be tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued." That appears to be aimed at the NHL directly. Especially since he did not mention the NHL at all.

3) It is just a negotiation tactic. Letting the NHL know they will not break the bank to re acquire the rights and talks are ongoing.

Two of three options aren't good for the NHL and NBC future together. I may be wrong on the CEO's comments and what they mean. One thing that seems clear at the moment is ESPN is the front runner while Fox and NBC slug it out for the other half. Also, ESPN Plus has the upper hand for a large portion of streaming rights. The NHL owns about 10% of ESPN streaming. Not great for Peacock. Not sure if Amazon or Netflix will figure into this?

Just speculation on my part. Something we do on here. Again, I believe it was not a mistake the CEO excluded the NHL in the interview.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree. It was interesting the CEO of Comcast Corp. did not mention the NHL in the interview. He mentioned other properties and spoke of existing and future media right. I believe not mentioning the NHL was not a mistake and had a purpose behind it. The question is why?' There are a few scenarios that is could be.

1) NBC Universal/Comcast is not happy with how negotiations are going. They are looking for a long term deal and are not feeling any loyalty from the league. It is because of the NBC/NHL partnership that the league can even ask for a large rights fee increase. That is a tough spot for the NHL to be in as they have to listen to everyone. I am hoping all things being equal (the money is about the same) the NHL will factor in loyalty in their decision making.

2) NBC has decided not to match bids from ESPN and Fox. Signaled by saying because of doubling of NFL rights and streaming costs " there will therefore be tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued." That appears to be aimed at the NHL directly. Especially since he did not mention the NHL at all.

3) It is just a negotiation tactic. Letting the NHL know they will not break the bank to re acquire the rights and talks are ongoing.

Two of three options aren't good for the NHL and NBC future together. I may be wrong on the CEO's comments and what they mean. One thing that seems clear at the moment is ESPN is the front runner while Fox and NBC slug it out for the other half. Also, ESPN Plus has the upper hand for a large portion of streaming rights. The NHL owns about 10% of ESPN streaming. Not great for Peacock. Not sure if Amazon or Netflix will figure into this?

Just speculation on my part. Something we do on here. Again, I believe it was not a mistake the CEO excluded the NHL in the interview.

There has been friction between NBC and the NHL for several years. The NHL was miffed by what they perceived to slights to NHL officials and advertisers at Super Bowl XLIX in 2015 and then ESPN getting the US contract for the 2016 World Cup of hockey.

Another sticking point is NBC refusing to show any games in 4K which they do for Notre Dame football, select Premier League games, and other events.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Hmm, interesting. Idk if I buy this necessarily, but it would be disappointing blow to BOG if they can’t at least get 500-550 a year.

Good find this is what I thought all along 500m range many reports even put numbers out last year of around $400m yr, but I honestly feel it'll be between $500-600m yr. But then Fenway got me excited when he had the info from a source that it'd be a $800m yr deal with ESPN and FOX that could balloon to $1bil yr in later years. I was cautiously optimistic, but when you see the way ESPN has played hard ball with more popular leagues like MLB cutting their rights deal by almost 50% and bucking the King NFL in its $4bil dollar per year request from $1.9b to a rumoured much lower $2.6b it was hard to see them paying NHL that much per year.

I think what has become evident is that these sports networks still value being able to acquire sports rights and if leveraged their power to do so is limited when they are expected by leagues to just routinely pay 3-4x time renewal rates. Especially for the biggest of them ESPN. They're picking and choosing what works and trimming bloat, not so much being cheap but just "saying this is what we carry", "this is what is up for renewal of what we carry". If we reup with a league like MLB, and NFL at the historical rates we've been we won't have money for our other lesser but strategic properties we have like Div 1 NCAA Football/Basketball, MLS etc. As well as leagues we might want to bid on like NHL. This has been the big thing, I've noticed more than a few sports media guys on Twitter bewildered as they just assumed a juggernaut network like ESPN would pay whatever cost in the end for the former mentioned. I imagine when NBA rights are up the same will happen. It appears the strategy more so is not to reduce rights and cut out the lower properties but to rein in excess run away spending on the bigger properties. Many in the Sports Media figured it'd be the other way around, But there is more money to be saved for rights retainment and acquisition by cutting spending at the top vice the bottom.

-"MLB we've been giving 75-100% right fee increases sort of out of tradition when the National numbers have been in decline for decades cut it"
-"NFL we pay them the most for a reason but we can't keep paying 2x the renewal rate just to keep them happy we're over paying cut it"

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Would Comcast ever consider selling the Flyers if they loose the NHL contract?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad