NHL could split media rights in next deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Lately ABC has started to show more sports than before like with the MLB Wild Card series, a couple of MNF simulcasts, some men's CBB and now the women's NCAA tournament: Women’s NCAA Tournament games scheduled for ABC. So I think that even thought ESPN is a really bad network for sports in general getting games on ABC and ESPN+ is fine for a media deal.

Last edited:

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
the ACC/Longhorn (which is Texas, basically,) and the SEC Network all follow the ESPN Branding, Spydey, 2 of the those 3 are on most cable providers now (in fact SEC Network was given 2 channel slots by Charter Spectrum, 1 is the main, the other the alternate.

as for ESPN 3..... WHAT u posted is produced by the NCAA.... in terms of hockey, that's why you see no ads or generic ads in terms of the Regionals or Frozen Fours. Manchester's SNHU Arena has had that generic branding for the NCAA East Regional. that's why the changes from a pro arena that normally is solely hockey to one that's not.... the Bradley Center had to modify its surface from where the Admirals play to turn it into the Frozen Four, when that building hosted it.

some RSN's already do games that would be on ESPN 3, Depends on that conference agreement. in New England it's called NESN University. only Hockey East has a separate contract as a stand alone conference contract.

Not quite...

"ESPN3 is a digital network that streams thousands of live events annually, in addition to providing on-demand replays of recent ESPN events. The network can be viewed on the ESPN app and via the "Watch" tab on ESPN.com."

What is ESPN3?

ESPN+ picks up feeds from other leagues and networks (especially for NHL and MLB). ESPN 3 is 100% ESPN produced and branded.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Lately ABC has started to show more sports than before like with the MLB Wild Card series, a couple of MNF simulcasts, some men's CBB and now the women's NCAA tournament: Women’s NCAA Tournament games scheduled for ABC. So I think that even thought ESPN is a really bad network for sports in general getting games on ABC and ESPN+ is fine for a media deal.

ABC could very well be a full-fledged NFL broadcast partner again. I'm proposing they have the following (without any of this being simulcast on ESPN):

International Series games outside the Americas (those in the Americas would be on ESPN and MNF), which would mainly be broadcast on Sunday morning US time from Europe and Africa, and early Saturday morning US time from Asia and Australia

Half of the Thursday Night Football package (split with Fox; the simulcasts on NFL Network and Amazon Prime would feature separate announcing crews and halftime shows)

A wild card game and divisional playoff game from the NFC in even-numbered seasons, and from the AFC in odd-numbered seasons (split with NBC); wild card game on Saturday night, divisional game on late Saturday afternoon

Pro Bowl

The Super Bowl once every four years

Reactions: Spydey629

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
ABC could very well be a full-fledged NFL broadcast partner again. I'm proposing they have the following (without any of this being simulcast on ESPN):

International Series games outside the Americas (those in the Americas would be on ESPN and MNF), which would mainly be broadcast on Sunday morning US time from Europe and Africa, and early Saturday morning US time from Asia and Australia

Half of the Thursday Night Football package (split with Fox; the simulcasts on NFL Network and Amazon Prime would feature separate announcing crews and halftime shows)

A wild card game and divisional playoff game from the NFC in even-numbered seasons, and from the AFC in odd-numbered seasons (split with NBC); wild card game on Saturday night, divisional game on late Saturday afternoon

Pro Bowl

The Super Bowl once every four years

We'll see aparently there is a 1 billion difference between the NFL and ESPN

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
ESPN3 - Not 100% ESPN produced. CFL for example isn't ESPN
Not quite...

"ESPN3 is a digital network that streams thousands of live events annually, in addition to providing on-demand replays of recent ESPN events. The network can be viewed on the ESPN app and via the "Watch" tab on ESPN.com."

What is ESPN3?

ESPN+ picks up feeds from other leagues and networks (especially for NHL and MLB). ESPN 3 is 100% ESPN produced and branded.
produced.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019

I think this tweet says a lot about how ESPN can carry the NHL. We are comparing an outdoor, rivalry game, from 2 traditional hockey markets, on a Sunday night in 2020, to a game played in 2002.

NBC did a great job with the outdoor game, but ESPN would carry the league in making it relevant. Who cares if they don’t have a talk show dedicated to hockey on ESPN, or don’t show many highlights on sports center. It’s not like NBC has any supporting programs either. Besides Wednesday and Sundays, there is ZERO regular season hockey on NBC.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

I think this tweet says a lot about how ESPN can carry the NHL. We are comparing an outdoor, rivalry game, from 2 traditional hockey markets, on a Sunday night in 2020, to a game played in 2002.

NBC did a great job with the outdoor game, but ESPN would carry the league in making it relevant. Who cares if they don’t have a talk show dedicated to hockey on ESPN, or don’t show many highlights on sports center. It’s not like NBC has any supporting programs either. Besides Wednesday and Sundays, there is ZERO regular season hockey on NBC.

Well, 2002 has a huge advantage. Everyone had cable, streaming didn't exist. The further back you go, the better the ratings are as options were more limited.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
We'll see what happens with the NFL media deals with their free agency period about to begin they're getting close to ink the new rights and there's a chance ESPN won't get back MNF so they would have like 2 billion or more to spend on live sports to patch the lost of the NFL. In a couple of weeks we're going to get some clarification on this the NHL needs to wait to the NFL and then struck their media deals. Key word media because ESPN+ and Peacock should be included.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
We'll see what happens with the NFL media deals with their free agency period about to begin they're getting close to ink the new rights and there's a chance ESPN won't get back MNF so they would have like 2 billion or more to spend on live sports to patch the lost of the NFL. In a couple of weeks we're going to get some clarification on this the NHL needs to wait to the NFL and then struck their media deals. Key word media because ESPN+ and Peacock should be included.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah I was about to post that lol. So they're not gaoing to have 2 billion to spend.

I would assume they probably had a ceiling for the NFL rights that they likely came in under with this renewal. That doesn’t mean that money would automatically go to new acquisitions, but I feel like ESPN will get a better NHL package than many anticipated. I wouldn’t be stunned if they even did some type of even split with NBC, where the two alternate the SCF on a yearly basis (with the finals airing on ABC)

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I would assume they probably had a ceiling for the NFL rights that they likely came in under with this renewal. That doesn’t mean that money would automatically go to new acquisitions, but I feel like ESPN will get a better NHL package than many anticipated. I wouldn’t be stunned if they even did some type of even split with NBC, where the two alternate the SCF on a yearly basis (with the finals airing on ABC)

The NFL wanted 3 billion from ESPN and they're already paying 2 so ESPN said no and they struck a deal at 2.5 or close to that so it's not much for ESPN and the NFL makes up for it with the rest CBS, FOX, NBC and now Amazon on TNF.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
So.... if this was the first shoe we all expected, what’s everyone’s over/under? The news of the NHL’s deal comes by... May?

I anticipate that we will hear something in early April, between the start of the new NFL league year beginning and the NFL Draft.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
So.... if this was the first shoe we all expected, what’s everyone’s over/under? The news of the NHL’s deal comes by... May?

I think the new deals will be in the 500 to 700 million per year range. I have NBC/Peacock and ESPN/ESPN+ for the rights. It maybe be a lot but today it matters more the content than the ratings itself.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Pardon the Interruption one of the higher rated shows on ESPN devoted time to cover the Leafs on their March 2nd broadcast. This is not earth shattering but it does show ESPN personalities are willing to cover the NHL if so inclined. ESPN is a lot like CNN in that it is played in many public spaces as the default. Getting more eyes in front of even just highlights helps the game. The money will increase on the next deal for the NHL but the bigger change needed is how the sport is covered in the United States and the production around it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
There are rumours that NXT is moving from Wednesday to Tuesday nights on USA. Could have something to do with losing to AEW or maybe they’re freeing up the Wednesday time slot for hockey? I guess there’s a good chance NHL is staying with NBC.

Reactions: oknazevad

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
There are rumours that NXT is moving from Wednesday to Tuesday nights on USA. Could have something to do with losing to AEW or maybe they’re freeing up the Wednesday time slot for hockey? I guess there’s a good chance NHL is staying with NBC.
Yeah, the chatter had really picked up in the last few days. Seems that it is likely that NBC will be keeping at least some NHL games including a Wednesday night game now on USA.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
These comments from Comcast Corporation (CMCSA) CEO Brian Roberts yesterday give us another hint - Notably, he did not mention the NHL at all.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...presents-morgan-stanley-2021-technology-media

BenSwinburne

That's great. I want to broaden out your comment on NBC and Sky and focus in on sports because I think that that's been a huge part of the success at NBC and in particular Sky, over time. There's obviously a lot of focus on the NFL right now. I think there'll be a Premier League auction, I presume this year. But cord cutting is a reality, especially, here in the U.S. So how does Jeff, how do you and Jeff and the team, think about balancing these costs and these long-term bets you're making with the realities around the ecosystem?

Brian Roberts

Well, I think you start with realism. And just as you're saying, you've got to take an honest look at where the value is and try to be honest with yourself on how you can pay for it and not - and you're going to have to make hard decisions. So it's no different than the entertainment side and try to, we made some hard decisions during pandemic, and we restructured all of our Cable nets, and we're merging NBC Sports Network into USA Network. So we have a stronger one channel instead of two channels, and we'll have sports as part of the channel, but not exclusively on the channel.

And so we're very excited about, hopefully, a relationship continuing with the NFL. And we've, that's a big priority. And but there will be therefore tough decisions where we have relationships that maybe won't be continued. And that'll be someone else's good fortune, perhaps. But we're going to be disciplined in trying to find the balance so that it allows us to redirect assets to the conversation we're just having about streaming or other technologies that might have emerged over the next few years that allow you to say, well, this is the right bet for us and historically, it was that and tomorrow it is this.

So we're looking at every sports relationship we're doing to have streaming aspect to it, not just a linear television aspect. And we're using it as we did with Peacock. If you look at Premier League, I mentioned that it's a great relationship. Golf, WWE, all of those events are also on Peacock as certainly we have with the Olympics. Let me just take a second on Olympics, one of the things we did way back in the day, was have all rights to all technology for the period up to 2032. And so as streaming has come along, we're very excited for this summer, to bring a lot of the Olympics, not just to broadcast, not just to Cable, as we've historically done to have Xfinity as a partner, Comcast as a partner of the Olympic movement, but also Peacock. And I think you'll see some great innovation around that.

And then, if I might, I think about the moment in time we're at and where you started, from a year ago, and I think about potentially how emotional and exciting and important the Olympics could be this July, for the world. If you take yesterday's announcement on exciting progress on vaccines, and you look on a global basis, the chance to - for us to be the company to bring to the U.S., the emotion of the world coming back together. And hopefully, celebrating sport and our global society, you can get the Paralympics Game, right on the heels.
It's a pretty exciting opportunity for our company's soul and heart and what we bring to our customers and to our employees. So we're really high on what can happen with sports, there's nothing like sports. And if you look in the U.S., with the Olympics and the NFL, and in UK with the Premier League, we're very relevant company but we're going to have to make some choices. And they'll be choices we make with shareholders in mind and long-term value as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad