NHL could split media rights in next deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
The NHL is considering splitting its media rights among multiple partners, and ESPN and Fox Sports have shown preliminary interest in acquiring a package, Sports Business Journal reported Monday. Currently, the league’s U.S. TV rights are held exclusively by NBC Sports in a deal that expires two years from now.

According to the report, Turner Sports had also expressed interest in an NHL package, but that was when it was under the stewardship of David Levy, who departed earlier this year. There is no word on whether that has changed now that Jeff Zucker is in charge. [SBJ 5.27]
Idle notes: NHL media rights; Sports Illustrated; “The Jump”

Reactions: snovalleyhockeyfan

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
That's big I wonder if they're preparing to leave NBC? NBC like exclusivity.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
This is good to hear. I've said before, but I think FOX/FS1 would be the best fit their lack of live sporting events after the fall and before baseball season.

Reactions: Devonator

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I think NBC does a great job, but it would be great to get more exposure on ESPN as well. A split like the NBA does with TNT/ESPN/ABC for ESPN/NBCSN/NBC would be ideal.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I like NBC's commitment to the league a lot, they do a very good job with the broadcasts, but their on-air personalities are garbage. At best they're totally unremarkable (Keith Jones, Anson Carter) and at their worst they're absolutely terrible at their jobs (Mike Milbury, Jeremy Roenick).

And that might be a hockey thing, but it might also be an NBC thing: It's a company afraid to commit to anything other than the most milquetoast, inoffensive people (see: a million years of Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon, their never-ending recycling of mediocre SNL personalities).

So, I wouldn't mind them moving over to ESPN or some other outlet capable of finding and developing engaging talent. I know, some of their morning blowhards are completely insufferable, but for every Steven A. Smith there's a Rachel Nichols.

On a larger level, the NHL is the only one of the big four with an exclusive deal. I gotta think that stymies its growth somewhat. Getting it on more platforms is a good thing from an exposure standpoint, you don't have to pay to advertise the playoffs on other networks if that network is also broadcasting it. You'll get the cross-promo ads in-game during other sporting events, all that...just more exposure.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I like NBC's commitment to the league a lot, they do a very good job with the broadcasts, but their on-air personalities are garbage. At best they're totally unremarkable (Keith Jones, Anson Carter) and at their worst they're absolutely terrible at their jobs (Mike Milbury, Jeremy Roenick).

And that might be a hockey thing, but it might also be an NBC thing: It's a company afraid to commit to anything other than the most milquetoast, inoffensive people (see: a million years of Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon, their never-ending recycling of mediocre SNL personalities).

So, I wouldn't mind them moving over to ESPN or some other outlet capable of finding and developing engaging talent. I know, some of their morning blowhards are completely insufferable, but for every Steven A. Smith there's a Rachel Nichols.

On a larger level, the NHL is the only one of the big four with an exclusive deal. I gotta think that stymies its growth somewhat. Getting it on more platforms is a good thing from an exposure standpoint, you don't have to pay to advertise the playoffs on other networks if that network is also broadcasting it. You'll get the cross-promo ads in-game during other sporting events, all that...just more exposure.
Except not airing all the Finals games on NBC.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Not surprising news there, I expect NBC to begrudgingly accept that they will lose exclusivity to stay on as a TV partner. I think FOX/FS1 will be the favorite over ESPN just due to the fact they will definitely push hard to promote and hype the NHL like they did in the 90s. Also helps Stanley Cup Playoffs as they won’t be games on CNBC or Golf Channel anymore. I expect NBC and FOX would alternate Conference Final they were yearly and alternate years airing SCF.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Not surprising news there, I expect NBC to begrudgingly accept that they will lose exclusivity to stay on as a TV partner. I think FOX/FS1 will be the favorite over ESPN just due to the fact they will definitely push hard to promote and hype the NHL like they did in the 90s. Also helps Stanley Cup Playoffs as they won’t be games on CNBC or Golf Channel anymore. I expect NBC and FOX would alternate Conference Final they were yearly and alternate years airing SCF.
I would be fairly surprised if 2 over the air partners are involved. I agree that they'll alternate conference finals, but it will either be 1 on NBC/NBCSN and 1 on FS1 with the Final on NBC/NBCSN, or 1 on FOX/FS1 and 1 on NBCSN with FOX/FS1 getting the final.

And I think you still may see 1st round games on CNBC, as NBC will want to keep exclusive windows. Let's remember that the NBA has 1st round games on NBA.TV and MLB puts a few on MLB Network, which have far less distribution than CNBC, so it's really not that bad.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I’d like to see ESPN get exclusive rights. Getting coverage on SportsCenter is the first step to making hockey cool again. Not to mention ESPN+ is the next big thing and the NHL should be all in with ESPN.

Since when is hockey NOT cool? And IMO ESPN blows. They are more into the NBA and their personalities then they are about sports. I would stay away from ESPN.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Could care less about ESPN. Don't know why this is such a quest for some fans....
ESPN is just the biggest sports brand. The NHL thought being exclusive to NBC would bring them higher prestige, better mainstream coverage and premium focus without having to fight for air time on ESPN but NBC has largely not delivered, although nor has the NHL.

Losing the NHL would take a serious, serious hit to NBCSN though. There's not much else they have and would lead them to bring a fringe network much like CBS Sports is. On the other hand, while ESPN is largely a sensationalist network, they have made attractions and buzz. The NHL is going to go through Sidney Crosby's whole career without him ever being a serious mainstream attraction.

Reactions: William Moneylander

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

I do, too. Fox/FS1 can clear more air slots for the league than ESPN ever will, and frankly, they also have FS2. Let's not forget this. So Fox could actually try for, and get, an exclusive deal and it would probably work. FS1 could be the home for Wednesday games, you might do a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday on FS2 and Fox would handle weekend games, and they could even do the Wednesday night game in primetime. Kenny Albert would probably be the main national announcer for Fox if they get the games.

Frankly, Fox at this point would probably be a far better fit for the league than NBC, and that's with NBC giving the league as much as they've given them over the years.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I would be fairly surprised if 2 over the air partners are involved. I agree that they'll alternate conference finals, but it will either be 1 on NBC/NBCSN and 1 on FS1 with the Final on NBC/NBCSN, or 1 on FOX/FS1 and 1 on NBCSN with FOX/FS1 getting the final.

And I think you still may see 1st round games on CNBC, as NBC will want to keep exclusive windows. Let's remember that the NBA has 1st round games on NBA.TV and MLB puts a few on MLB Network, which have far less distribution than CNBC, so it's really not that bad.

I can’t see NHL accepting a split package without OTA rights if another network (FOX, ESPN/ABC, Turner/CBS) is in the deal with NBC. Like I outlined, having big NHL events split between networks will allow them to charge a big fee to have those years on a cycle basis. FOX is rebranding post 21st Century FOX with sports and live events as the main headliner. Having the Cup Final every other year, All-Star Games, Outdoor Games, and Conference Final would be content FOX would want on their air and NHL would be happy to have another strong TV partner in addition to NBC. Every sport, even MLS has multiple partners, NHL needs to do the same.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
FS2 is in less than 51 million homes! That's worse than CBSSN.

It'd be Versus all over again.
Yes, but it would be a good vehicle for Fox to get it into more homes and those games wouldn't be the main weekly games anyway. Your Wednesday and weekend games would be Fox or FS1. It'd be sort of similar to ESPN when they launched ESPN2 with loads of NHL games. ESPN2 didn't launch to too many homes at that time either and did the league care? Not really, did they?

To add to my point, here's what a Fox exclusive (again if they got everything as opposed to splitting it with NBC) could look like:

-Monday and Thursday or Friday single games on FS2 with all games co-existing with the participating teams' RSN broadcasts so as to counter the issues with lack of national distribution of the network.

-Wednesday and weekend games on Fox and/or FS1 with those being full national exclusives.

Last edited:

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Yes, but only the NFL has multiple OTA partners. NBC and FOX aren't going to want to alternate having the Cup Final.

I agree if NBC and ESPN or Turner are the partners. I don’t see SCF ever airing on ABC or ESPN due to their TV deal with the NBA or Turner at all. I say alternate NBC and FOX or even CBS is because I just can’t either network bidding on NHL without having any SCF games on their broadcast network at any point. I can’t see the disastrous 90s situation with FOX and ESPN having alternate SCF games either. So either NBC keeps their exclusive deal or there is very fair, but difficult split between NBC and another partner imo.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Since when is hockey NOT cool? And IMO ESPN blows. They are more into the NBA and their personalities then they are about sports. I would stay away from ESPN.
ESPN does blow, but it is still the most watched sports channel for casual fans. Having a “game of the week” for hockey would be good for exposure to casual fans on ESPN.

I don’t think the product on NBC is anything special, but I do like that they at least value the sport as a sport.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
ESPN is just the biggest sports brand. The NHL thought being exclusive to NBC would bring them higher prestige, better mainstream coverage and premium focus without having to fight for air time on ESPN but NBC has largely not delivered, although nor has the NHL.

Losing the NHL would take a serious, serious hit to NBCSN though. There's not much else they have and would lead them to bring a fringe network much like CBS Sports is. On the other hand, while ESPN is largely a sensationalist network, they have made attractions and buzz. The NHL is going to go through Sidney Crosby's whole career without him ever being a serious mainstream attraction.

ESPN is the most overrated brand & is getting hammered in ratings as well as operating losses. The NHL has been doing fine without it. Crosby was never going to be a serious mainstream attraction because that is how hockey has always operated....at least in the US. And using your logic, how does moving from being the #1 property at NBCSN to tied to whatever in a crowded field at ESPN help the NHL's position? It would fall behind college football, basketball, etc. The NHL is not on the verge of insolvency either. More & more people are cutting the cable cord, so if those trends continue, ESPN might not even be a factor going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad