News Article: NHL considering two changes to draft lottery

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
So they would have 4 months to form a committee, meet several times, come up with several options, debate those options and adopt? I've never seen the NHL move that quickly on issues like this.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I'd be a fan of the doing it the NBA way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

It's similar, but different. Can still tank, but more a chance of dropping.

Why would anyone want to copy the NBA model? There is literally only 4 teams with a chance to win the championship every year. There is no parity at all. The NHL is the most competitive league out of all the 4 major sports where the worse team in the league can beat the best on any given night. Let's keep it that way. I'd much rather follow the NFL model.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'd much rather go NFL style. Having a lottery doesn't discourage teams from trying to get to the top of the draft unless you take it all the way to the extreme where you just start giving all of the top picks away randomly. And that would be infuriating.

Even the current system just randomly ****s with people by design. Did Chicago deserve Kane more than Florida? Hell no, but you do it and create dynasties while making other teams suffer by luck of the draw. Hate it.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Why would anyone want to copy the NBA model? There is literally only 4 teams with a chance to win the championship every year. There is no parity at all. The NHL is the most competitive league out of all the 4 major sports where the worse team in the league can beat the best on any given night. Let's keep it that way. I'd much rather follow the NFL model.

I'm talking the draft, which doesn't necessarily result in parity. The NBA is less of a team game that the NHL. Depth matters in the NHL, not in the NBA. You can stick with the same 4-5 players on the same team that are great and be great year after year. Its more generational/prone to dynasties.

EDIT: I'm in no way promoting the proposed NHL draft changes.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'd much rather go NFL style. Having a lottery doesn't discourage teams from trying to get to the top of the draft unless you take it all the way to the extreme where you just start giving all of the top picks away randomly. And that would be infuriating.

Even the current system just randomly ****s with people by design. Did Chicago deserve Kane more than Florida? Hell no, but you do it and create dynasties while making other teams suffer by luck of the draw. Hate it.

The NFL style is ok. I believe it works due to the number of positions available. You can get a franchise player with a top 6-10 pick depending on your own and other teams need.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
If they're going to explore outside-of-the-box ideas, at least THIS method gives the worst teams a chance to control their destiny. If they're eliminated early enough, a team would still be able to accrue enough points to get a top pick.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If they're going to explore outside-of-the-box ideas, at least THIS method gives the worst teams a chance to control their destiny. If they're eliminated early enough, a team would still be able to accrue enough points to get a top pick.

This eliminates selling at the trade deadline though. You're going to have bad teams being buyers.

ZeroPT*

This eliminates selling at the trade deadline though. You're going to have bad teams being buyers.

I agree. I really hate these ****ing ridiculous lottery systems.
If the lats place team's GM's mom is blonde they divide the winning percentage by the number of blonde players in the NHL plus the amount of times that team wore it's 3rd jersey thus they have the 19th overall pick.. or something like that

jackie-chan-wtf.png

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Go ahead NHL change the draft lottery, I dare you. :naughty:

All the talk now is about the lottery changing from a 1 year finish to looking at an average of the last 5 years. After reading up and hearing more on this, I think this greatly helps the Oilers and Panthers, not hurts them. The part that hurts them is that the lottery may not just be for the top pick, but a separate drawing for each of the top 5 picks which could move Edmonton out of the top 2 even though they are a solid lock for the top 2 as it stands now. It would stop a team from crashing for just 1 year to land McDavid or Eichel. The Sabres are not as hurt by this as originally thought, but it does bump us back. We really had hope that Florida picks it up next season and that the Isles use their pick this draft. It is also an incentive for the Isles to use the pick this draft and not get into this mess next draft.

Below are the bottom (top) 10 teams from a 4 year average and a 5 year average assuming next season goes exactly as this season. Given that Buffalo is tied with Columbus and Winnipeg, they should both outplay us next year and we could move ahead of them. We also would have the potential to pass Carolina as well and finish in the top 4. Either way, this may or may not favor the Oilers and Panthers. Again. we really need the Isles to use their pick this draft.

Team 4Y AVG

Edmonton 3.00
Florida 6.00
NY Islanders 6.75
Carolina 8.00
Columbus 9.25
Winnipeg 9.25
Buffalo 9.25
Calgary 9.75
Colorado 10.00
Ottawa 11.25

Team 5Y AVG

Edmonton 2.8
Florida 5.4
NY Islanders 6.2
Buffalo 7.6
Carolina 7.8
Calgary 8.8
Winnipeg 9.2
Columbus 10.4
Ottawa 10.6
New Jersey 11.8

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Again, the second proposed change is not team-by-team over those years, so a yearly finish average is off the point. It's not based on our year-to-year results and instead would include a points out sum from previous 30th-ranked teams (in our case) to calculate lottery odds.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So they would have 4 months to form a committee, meet several times, come up with several options, debate those options and adopt? I've never seen the NHL move that quickly on issues like this.

This talk has nothing to do with this year's draft. I suppose your point is that they should have to have the plan in place by the official end of this season/start of the next (off)season. I'd agree with that. Hopefully any changes would start with the 2016 draft. Ditto for expansion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad