News Article: NHL considering two changes to draft lottery

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Last season, the league opened up winning the No. 1 pick to all 14 non-playoff teams. Previously, only the five-worst teams had a shot. But no one feared moving down more than one position, meaning the 30th-place club could select no lower than second. That protection is in peril.

As we head towards a 2015 draft with two talents that have scouts drooling -- Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid -- the NHL is considering a system that could see the lottery going beyond just the No. 1 overall choice.

There are discussions about having the top three picks, or even the top five, selected this way. Although odds would continue to favour those teams with the fewest points, a decision to go in this direction would mean the worst team could potentially pick fourth -- or sixth.

Currently, the last-place squad gets a 25 per cent chance of snaring the top choice, with the best non-playoff finisher at 0.5 per cent. That may be different, too.

What we're looking at here is a system where the odds would be weighted by how positions 17 through 30 in the NHL standings finish over a five-year period relative to the final playoff qualifier. The exact formula is not yet determined. But one of the potential scenarios is something like this:

If you go back over the last five seasons (2008-09 to 2012-13), you can easily check how close those teams ranked 17-30 came to making the playoffs. The 30th-place finishers (Edmonton Oilers twice, Columbus Blue Jackets, Florida Panthers, New York Islanders) were a combined 131 points out. Overall, the 70 non-playoff teams totalled 693 points behind during that span.

I assume the NHL would want to use the current season to make each year's lottery as relevant as possible. So if this were the league's method of choice, it can only be used as a comparison to the 2013 odds. Anyway, 131 is 18.9 per cent of 693. That would give the 30th-place team an 18.9 per cent shot at the top selection, down from the current 25 per cent.

It would be a "rolling" five-year period. As you moved into the next season, the oldest would be dropped. However, there is one pothole.

In 2011, the Dallas Stars and Calgary Flames, who missed the playoffs, finished ahead of the New York Rangers, who made it. In 2010, the St. Louis Blues, Flames and Anaheim Ducks were above the Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadiens. And in 2009, the Florida Panthers beat out St. Louis, Columbus and Anaheim. Therefore, the teams who finished 17th overall were actually four points better than the last playoff team. That would have to be addressed.

It's interesting stuff. No one wanted to use the word "tanking." But there is concern about how competitive things will be with McDavid and Eichel available next summer. If you're an owner or a general manager, would the adoption of this policy change the way you approach the 2014-15 season?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...ughts-changing-odds-in-nhl-draft-lottery.html

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If we get jobbed out of Eichel, we should throw **** through the windows of the NHL offices.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
20+ years as an NHL fan and all I can say is that hockey is only slightly above the WWF when it comes to front office decisions. They literally make up the rules as they go so I wouldn't worry about it until the draft lottery happens

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Can someone explain to me the logic behind the 5-year rolling average proposal? Without doing the math, I'm fairly certain that would give Edmonton the best odds at #1. Isn't that type of outcome precisely what the league is trying to avoid?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Can someone explain to me the logic behind the 5-year rolling average proposal? Without doing the math, I'm fairly certain that would give Edmonton the best odds at #1. Isn't that type of outcome precisely what the league is trying to avoid?

I think you're right, but I don't think this is exactly what the league is trying to avoid. Edmonton isn't being bad on purpose anymore. They just suck by nature. The League is trying to disincentivize the teams that go all in to suck for 1-2 years intentionally, which is basically what we're doing. The NHL doesn't like our kind.

And let's be real, if the goal is parity, who do you think needs more help over the long run, Buffalo or Edmonton? I like our future more than theirs at the moment.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
Won't change the size of the nets for tradition but they have no problem taking a dump on the last place teams draft hopes.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
If we finish 30th next year but wind up picking 6th...

I won't even know what to say.

NHL management is such a clownshow sometimes.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I can understand the NHL's concern in trying to minimize the moral hazard of teams actively sacrificing wins to Shiva the Hindu god of destruction, but I don't think opening up the lottery is enough of an inducement to get more teams to compete.

I think the fear of tanking, or getting many teams to tank, is probably more of a fear of teams in stronger markets where a team has a strong fan base. If Toronto or Montreal were to tank, that would have negligible impact on their revenues because the demand for tickets is so high. However, if a team like Florida or Phoenix were to tank, that may erode their fan base, which even with an Eichel or a McDavid, will take time for it to recover. So, basically, I think teams with a stronger fan base have the luxury of pursuing a tank whereas weaker or fair-weather fan base teams probably can not, they need to remain somewhat competitive.

I don't know, but I see these proposed changes as a way to shield poor market teams from taking the very large risk of tanking to get better. The thing is, that a poor market team or one with a dwindling fan base may be so because the team just can't build a winner to save its life, like the sad sack Islanders under the stewardship of Wang and Snow. Even with a Tavares, Snow is just not good enough or Wang is too cheap to assemble a team that would make having someone like John Tavares worthwhile. Because if you have a franchise player like a Tavares and you're not even trying to be competitive, then what's the point of even having him in the first place?

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That might make the NYI 2015 1st pretty valuable!

:naughty:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yay! Let's make an already stupid idea even worse. I really do hate the NHL sometimes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yay! Let's make an already stupid idea even worse. I really do hate the NHL sometimes.

The only part that sucks is that the Sabres are bottoming out now and they might change things right before the McDavid draft.

If they did this as a part of the last lockout or the one before, it wouldn't bother me at all.

I just think that it stinks that the Sabres had bad luck in the Crosby lottery and then they are talking about making it harder on Buffalo in the McDavid lottery.

But, we shall see how this goes.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I just think that it stinks that the Sabres had bad luck in the Crosby lottery and then they are talking about making it harder on Buffalo in the McDavid lottery.

Yes. We had "bad luck" in the Crosby lottery.

The Penguins - who had equal odds to the Sabres, but were in the midst of an ownership crisis, playing in the worst building in the league, with long-running and to that point futile efforts to get a new arena deal, with relocation rumors swirling and Jim Balsillie hovering around - conversely had "good luck." "Luck" so good that it helped resolve all of their (and the NHL's) problems in that market in pretty short order.

Crazy how that "luck" works out sometimes.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

The Penguins - who had equal odds to the Sabres, but were in the midst of an ownership crisis, playing in the worst building in the league, with long-running and to that point futile efforts to get a new arena deal, with relocation rumors swirling and Jim Balsillie hovering around - conversely had "good luck." "Luck" so good that it helped resolve all of their (and the NHL's) problems in that market in pretty short order.

I shouldn't complain too much about the Crosby draft though.

Pittsburgh may have won the lottery and drafted Crosby and turned their franchise around and gone on to win the Cup, but we got to draft Marek Zagrapan at #13.

So it's tough to say which team came out better on that one.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

To be fair Regier said in 2004 he wanted to make the Sabres a bigger, tougher team to play against and we ended up drafting Zagrapan a year later who was the softest player in the entire draft with a high bust potential. Our 2005 and 2006 drafts are why the franchise is now rebuilding because we didn't have enough talent coming in to support a core that was albeit very flawed as well. Basically even if we got screwed over on the 2005 lottery we also didn't do ourselves any favors.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Yeah, the NHL committed major malfeasance simply so they could say "screw you" to the Buffalo Sabres. This holds a lot of water and isn't, on its face, complete nonsense.

People can go on all day about the NHL "rigging" the 2005 lottery for the Penguins, but the Penguins were one of the teams with the greatest chance to get that pick anyway. Are conspiracy theories really necessary to explain this? Either provide something substantial to support this viewpoint or you're going to end up sounding like Alex Jones or David Icke

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
People can go on all day about the NHL "rigging" the 2005 lottery for the Penguins, but the Penguins were one of the teams with the greatest chance to get that pick anyway. Are conspiracy theories really necessary to explain this? Either provide something substantial to support this viewpoint or you're going to end up sounding like Alex Jones or David Icke

I didn't accuse the NHL of anything.

All I said was that it was awfully convenient that one of their storied yet troubled franchises, whose arena and ownership problems were a major headache for the league, got exactly the help they needed at the exact moment when they needed it, in the most important draft of at least the past decade.

I just wish the Sabres could have some of that kind of "good luck" themselves someday. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The Penguins drafting first and the Sabres drafting 13th, when they both had the same odds, are two different things.

Although, the 2005 Draft was pretty weak after Sid.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I didn't accuse the NHL of anything.

All I said was that it was awfully convenient that one of their storied yet troubled franchises, whose arena and ownership problems were a major headache for the league, got exactly the help they needed at the exact moment when they needed it, in the most important draft of at least the past decade.

I just wish the Sabres could have some of that kind of "good luck" themselves someday. But I'm not holding my breath.

I believe the answer you're looking for would be "Gilbert Perreault" when the Sabres won the wheel spin.

Also, I can't imagine anybody has ever thought of the Penguins as a "storied" franchise outside of being horrible until they dumped the entire season to get to draft Lemieux, who sat in the stands and cried when it happened because he didn't want to go to such a terrible franchise. Suggesting the league did anything for them with Crosby is far fetched at best.

The whole Tank Nation thing is exactly why the NHL and other leagues continue to try to make it so tanking isn't such a clear "best idea" when you're stuck in mediocrity. Don't get me wrong, I think the Sabres are doing exactly what they should be doing, but to pretend like it's "good" in any way for the franchise/sport/NHL/whatever as a whole is kind of silly. If doing the right thing leaves a really bad taste in your mouth, maybe something needs to be changed.

I personally like the idea of a fixed rotating draft order for all the picks in the league no matter how you finish, obviously you'd need a seriously long lead up time to start that, but it would be the most 'fair' and non-manipulative way. Something like http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...g-good-bye-to-the-lottery-hello-to-the-wheel/ always seemed interesting.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
The only part that sucks is that the Sabres are bottoming out now and they might change things right before the McDavid draft.

If they did this as a part of the last lockout or the one before, it wouldn't bother me at all.

But, we shall see how this goes.

I'd still think it was stupid. The whole lottery idea is dumb to begin with, this just makes it even worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad