NHL.com on Tyler Bertuzzi

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
That thread cracked me up. Just proves you can tell who actually get paid to scout these players vs. those who sit on their La-Z-Boy and watches random YouTube snippets and/or reads random forum posts of a guy that knows a guy that talked to a guy that watched a kid play 2.5 years ago.

Thanks for the entertainment.

The people who work for CSS and other scouting organizations get paid to scout though?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The people who work for CSS and other scouting organizations get paid to scout though?

So now CSS is considered gospel? Why do NHL teams even employ scouts then? Just use CSS!

They clearly didn't watch Bertuzzi as much as Detroit did. I doubt they called current and former coaches, or talked to Todd and his family directly about Tyler's work ethic. NHL scouts do a lot more homework than CSS ever will, particularly with players drafted in the later rounds.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So now CSS is considered gospel? Why do NHL teams even employ scouts then? Just use CSS!

They clearly didn't watch Bertuzzi as much as Detroit did. I doubt they called current and former coaches, or talked to Todd and his family directly about Tyler's work ethic. NHL scouts do a lot more homework than CSS ever will, particularly with players drafted in the later rounds.

I used them as an example to dispute this notion that people critical of Bertuzzi were just armchair gm's? A lot of people who DO get paid to scout players were critical of Bertuzzi too.

NHL GM's scout players terribly too? How often has a player been reached for that ended up busting anyway? The answer is a lot.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I used them as an example to dispute this notion that people critical of Bertuzzi were just armchair gm's? A lot of people who DO get paid to scout players were critical of Bertuzzi too.

NHL GM's scout players terribly too? How often has a player been reached for that ended up busting anyway? The answer is a lot.

Your point makes little sense. CSS barely touch the tip of the iceberg and do it just for fandom entertainment while pro-team scouts are drafting to better the future of the franchise. I doubt CSS give intense interviews to dozens of kids prior to draft day.

Wings knew Bert wasn't going to be available after their 58th pick and snatched him up. I try to hold out judgment on a kid even tho CSS says he should go 204th and Wings take him 58th. Clearly, Wings pro-scouts had more knowledge than you, I, and everyone in that old BERT thread and CSS scouting staff.... combined.

RAS and Cholo are in the same category for me. I believe they will prove people on this forum (armchair scouts) wrong and threads will soon be bumped for our personal entertainment.

Reactions: Henkka

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Before posters like Claypool get too high and mighty let’s rember we’re only talking about 48 games so far and a lot of it playing on the top line. He wasn’t world burning and he could easily regress with worse linemates or even just fall back to earth.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
kind of a bad player to play silly hindsight games with when most of us wanted Pavel Buchnevich

I would....still much rather have him

wow such changes much crow

as for the trading down thing I don't remember much complaining about that

I do rememeber a lot of people wanting Buchnevich so thats fair but its not like Buchnevich has done anything to be considered better than Bertuzzi really. Theyre considered a similar level of player I think, with Bertuzzi being a more versatile guy. BUT the people who were going insane over the Bert pick should be eating some crow for sure. He was a great pick, and even if you wanted Buchnevich, if you were irate over the Bert pick you should eat some crow.

I would tame expectations. Don't forget that at one point over a 365 day period, Nyquist was in the top three in goals scored with Ovechkin and Stamkos.

I think Bertuzzi is more likely to be a Nyquist/Tatar/Hudler/Filppula than a Datsyuk/Zetterberg. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to eat crow, though.

Yeah Nyquist was really good though. I think he wasted a few of his prime years in the AHL. Speedy forwards dont generally get better after 25 or 26. I think had he not been overripened and just made the NHL right out of college he would have had a few 30 goal seasons. He scored 28 in 58 games and had another almost 30 goal season on some mediocre teams.

I agree though, Bertuzzi is more likely to be a solid top 6 guy, not a star (I dont think anyone thinks hes going to be a star though anyways). Hes a valuable player though. A guy who can be like 26 goal Dan Cleary but plays a little tougher if he needs to.

I wonder if the Wings thought or heard rumblings some other team was gonna take him in that round.

It came out after the draft that more than one team had him graded in the third round so th wings reached a bit when they got the extra pick to make sure they landed him. Ended up being a really good pick

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Before posters like Claypool get too high and mighty let’s rember we’re only talking about 48 games so far and a lot of it playing on the top line. He wasn’t world burning and he could easily regress with worse linemates or even just fall back to earth.

Not sure what games you were watching last year. Bertuzzi was a very impactful player. He's going to be a 40+ point player next year. Sorry to break the news to you.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I've admitted to being way off on lil Bert in the past, I thought he was a Mitch Callahan type guy who might be, at best, a bottom 6 staple guy who fans love but in reality impacts a hockey game on a very small scale. Maybe a Kirk Maltby level player who wears an A and is a reliable PK player.

His skillset is more than that at this point, which is a huge win. Like others have said we may need to delay the parade on him being a top 6 F, we don't know he can hang and produce at that level over the course of an entire season, but having him fill a prime Cleary type role, or if he a slightly better version of what Babcock wanted Abdelkader to be when he was stapled to Datsyuk, that is a really good player to have on the team. He seems like he can play on any line and fit in at this point, which is really nice. He obviously won't drive a first or second line but as a supporting piece he has an impact.

I will be interested to see what he is like away from Zetterberg when the time comes.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Not sure what games you were watching last year. Bertuzzi was a very impactful player. He's going to be a 40+ point player next year. Sorry to break the news to you.
And Cheechoo was going to be a perennial 40 goal player and Sheahan was going to be a 50+ point player and and and and and. I hate to break it to you but 42 games isn’t enough to make these grandiose pronouncements. If he becomes what you say he will that’s great but right now you’re in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to predicting the future.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And Cheechoo was going to be a perennial 40 goal player and Sheahan was going to be a 50+ point player and and and and and. I hate to break it to you but 42 games isn’t enough to make these grandiose pronouncements. If he becomes what you say he will that’s great but right now you’re in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to predicting the future.

It’s the professional NHL analysts saying Bertuzzi is going to be a good player. Go complain to Mike Johnson. Im sure he’ll care what you have to say. You can probably find him on Twitter.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It’s the professional NHL analysts saying Bertuzzi is going to be a good player. Go complain to Mike Johnson. Im sure he’ll care what you have to say. You can probably find him on Twitter.

Yeah, Mike Johnson whose only qualification is being a journeyman NHL player, playing a sport doesn't make one an expert on scouting. Beyond that this wasn't written by him, it was almost certainly written by a bunch of people who made the mistake of studying communications in college who wrote this and he's just parroting it. This is typical mid summer NHL network puff piece. Its would be great if they are right, but don't pretend these are the greatest hockey minds on earth writing this.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I think he compliments a line really well with skilled players. He seems to be a guy who can hit 50 points in the right situation. Great in the corners and 1 on 1 battles and that’s an area that the whole team needs to improve on. In his prime I see him being the teams good version of Dan Cleary

Well if you learn from the master....
CdIeUqBUUAAuMie.jpg

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I remember Ken Holland being idiot when he traded down from #18 --> #20 for that extra #58 pick we got Bertuzzi.

And then Kenny took a stupid reach for that Bertuzzi-guy who was so low on pre-draft rankings.

Got Mantha and Bertuzzi with one shot.

Holland should just retire because of these terrible mistakes. :)

I could repeat this same message after Filip Hronek pans out and will be a fan-loved defenceman.

Smart men on this board know also then, how Holland was also that stupid old lunatic who denied to draft Chychryn, and got both Cholowski and Hronek instead of him. :)
You really wanna play the point out stupid shit people have said game? Because I really don't think you do.

Reactions: mantha39

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You guys do know that we can point out many,many,many more misses than hits Holland had had the past 15 years,right? Right?

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Imagine being so caught up in your own negative narratives you can’t be excited about a prospect doing well... couldn’t be me man

Reactions: SirloinUB

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Are you suggesting that Bertuzzi is going to get a double sports hernia?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Are you suggesting that Bertuzzi is going to get a double sports hernia?

No, its pretty widely accepted that the getting Thornton was what caused Cheechoo to have a boost, and even before his surgery he nearly lost half his ability to score goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad