NHL.com on Tyler Bertuzzi

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I think I might be the leader of the little Bert fan club right now. I love everything he does on the ice, he's so smart out there.

It is funny seeing everyone else describe him though. Everyone wants to talk about his grit, physical play, and ability to get under your skin. I don't see that at all, and I think that just comes from his name and maybe one year he had in juniors. I see more Zetterberg in him than anyone else, and I hope he keeps to keep playing with him and learning from him

And I feel like I should mention, the last 2 times I was this high on a player after a short stints of good play with the wings were Jakub Kindl and Riley Sheahan...so you might want to jump on this bandwagon while you still can

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I too am high on him. Whenever I'm daydreaming about our future lineup I always have him in the top 6. His style of play is different from everyone else on the team and in my opinion is very refreshing. My level of detail of analysis on him isn't high, but whenever I watch him play I see a witty player who does the small things well. This year he was snake bit a good handful of times, so as he ages and learns to finish a but more I see him as a very good and necessary player toward our winning future.

Bertuzzi-larkin-Mantha

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I like Tyler Bertuzzi. I definitely think he gets way too much praise and love, a Zetterberg comparison to me is extremely lofty. I see him more like Doug Brown or Jake Guentzel. Nonetheless he's a good player to keep around and build up talent with. I like Bertuzzi, Larkin and even Mantha long-term.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
But but I was told on here that I knew nothing about hockey and he would be lucky to ever see the bigs lol. He is going to be a good player for us.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I like Tyler Bertuzzi. I definitely think he gets way too much praise and love, a Zetterberg comparison to me is extremely lofty. I see him more like Doug Brown or Jake Guentzel. Nonetheless he's a good player to keep around and build up talent with. I like Bertuzzi, Larkin and even Mantha long-term.
Who compared him with Z? they play a totally different game. Taking out the cheap shots he reminds Marchand speedy, mean side, nose for the net in the right spots to score.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I think he compliments a line really well with skilled players. He seems to be a guy who can hit 50 points in the right situation. Great in the corners and 1 on 1 battles and that’s an area that the whole team needs to improve on. In his prime I see him being the teams good version of Dan Cleary

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I think I might be the leader of the little Bert fan club right now. I love everything he does on the ice, he's so smart out there.

It is funny seeing everyone else describe him though. Everyone wants to talk about his grit, physical play, and ability to get under your skin. I don't see that at all, and I think that just comes from his name and maybe one year he had in juniors. I see more Zetterberg in him than anyone else, and I hope he keeps to keep playing with him and learning from him

And I feel like I should mention, the last 2 times I was this high on a player after a short stints of good play with the wings were Jakub Kindl and Riley Sheahan...so you might want to jump on this bandwagon while you still can

I'm definitely extremely high on Bert too(z). Ever since his play in a few preseasons ago I knew this guy had potential. Hockey iq thru the roof. And I agree 100% about his playstyle. I think he'll be a staple of our top 6 for quite a while.

He's one of those guys that may never be a star themselves due to lack of elite hands, skating, or whatever, but he has the hockey mind of a star and he should be a great complimentary player to any star player in the league

Who compared him with Z? they play a totally different game. Taking out the cheap shots he reminds Marchand speedy, mean side, nose for the net in the right spots to score.

Literally the first reply to the thread. And I think your comparison is lazy.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But but I was told on here that I knew nothing about hockey and he would be lucky to ever see the bigs lol. He is going to be a good player for us.

I remember Ken Holland being idiot when he traded down from #18 --> #20 for that extra #58 pick we got Bertuzzi.

And then Kenny took a stupid reach for that Bertuzzi-guy who was so low on pre-draft rankings.

Got Mantha and Bertuzzi with one shot.

Holland should just retire because of these terrible mistakes. :)

I could repeat this same message after Filip Hronek pans out and will be a fan-loved defenceman.

Smart men on this board know also then, how Holland was also that stupid old lunatic who denied to draft Chychryn, and got both Cholowski and Hronek instead of him. :)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I remember Ken Holland being idiot when he traded down from #18 --> #20 for that extra #58 pick we got Bertuzzi.

And then Kenny took a stupid reach for that Bertuzzi-guy who was so low on pre-draft rankings.

kind of a bad player to play silly hindsight games with when most of us wanted Pavel Buchnevich

I would....still much rather have him

wow such changes much crow

as for the trading down thing I don't remember much complaining about that

Reactions: 21 Savage

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
kind of a bad player to play silly hindsight games with when most of us wanted Pavel Buchnevich

I would....still much rather have him

Yep. Pure skill-wise that would have been a great pick, but then at 2013 the Russian factor was still on.

Russias invade to Ukraine in 2014 changed everything. The Ruble lost 50% of it's value and many KHL-teams lost they low-tax edge.

And as a not surprise, when the value of currency goes down, russian players were more interested about a "dollar-league" again. Organizations who did gamble with drafting russians, benefited. Like we now see how great picks these Kucherovs, Kuznetsovs and Buchneviches have been.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I see him now as a staple on a good third line. Grit, hard work, some offensive upside. That being said, on a contending team he's not the best for a top 6 position. But would be thrilled if he becomes the next Darren McCarty.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I would tame expectations. Don't forget that at one point over a 365 day period, Nyquist was in the top three in goals scored with Ovechkin and Stamkos.

I think Bertuzzi is more likely to be a Nyquist/Tatar/Hudler/Filppula than a Datsyuk/Zetterberg. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to eat crow, though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would tame expectations. Don't forget that at one point over a 365 day period, Nyquist was in the top three in goals scored with Ovechkin and Stamkos.

I think Bertuzzi is more likely to be a Nyquist/Tatar/Hudler/Filppula than a Datsyuk/Zetterberg. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'd love to eat crow, though.
What he has over all of them is an element of grit. He won’t be pushed around as much.
Don’t see him as the next Dats/Z, but he could become a significantly more useful asset than Nyquist/Tatar.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I really hope Zetterberg sticks around for another year or two. Think he'd be immensely beneficial for the development of Zadina/Rasmussen/Bert.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think he compliments a line really well with skilled players. He seems to be a guy who can hit 50 points in the right situation. Great in the corners and 1 on 1 battles and that’s an area that the whole team needs to improve on. In his prime I see him being the teams good version of Dan Cleary

Good comparison. Bert is going to be the sandpaper, grit and heart that helps win big games.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Don't forget the trouble Bert had with concussions. His career may be short if he plays with too much grit in the big leagues.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I also like the Cleary comparison. Bert seems like a guy who could compliment two skilled forwards on a line in the top 6.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
This is why I get tired of the Armchair GMs deciding if we won or lost a draft based on rankings. From memory, people were wildly upset about Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, Larkin and probably more.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This is why I get tired of the Armchair GMs deciding if we won or lost a draft based on rankings. From memory, people were wildly upset about Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, Larkin and probably more.

leaving aside the fact that i'd still rather have the guys I originally wanted over Bertuzzi and Rasmussen people were also upset about Sheahan,McCollum,and the rest of Detroit's draft last year

how are those looking?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
redwingsnow said:
Embarrassing is way too strong a word.
Confusing -- sure. Disappointing? Perhaps.

But it's way too early.
I don't like the way this draft has gone since Round 2 started...but patience is important.
In a year, we'll have a much better idea of the man behind our drafting was indeed Jim Nill.

FlashyG said:

Agree completely on the first part but I think it will be 4 or 5 years before we know whether the last part is true.​
Bench said:
I look forward to debating with you about it in 2018. :nod:

It's time to revisit!

I also feel relieved not seeing myself in that thread; I must have not been that pissed at the time.

Also, I don't see ANY resemblance between Bertuzzi and Hank. That's crazy. Bertuzzi will never be the playmaker Hank was in the second half of his career of the goalscorer he was in his prime. Zetterberg was arguably the best possession driving player in the league in 2008. A selke calibre player. What an insane comparison.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

I could repeat this same message after Filip Hronek pans out and will be a fan-loved defenceman.

Smart men on this board know also then, how Holland was also that stupid old lunatic who denied to draft Chychryn, and got both Cholowski and Hronek instead of him. :)

On brand.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->