NHL clears Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing in Beach case

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Westhead has done some of the most important investigation and reporting in recent times. Too bad he’s resorting to conspiracy theories here.

Im not sure who the dunce in the media who on most likely the most important question in his life with more ears listening to them then they will ever have comes out stating that Chipman once said he wanted to model his team after the Blackhawks and wants Chipman to explain himself. Like this meeting that Chipman didn’t know about was exactly what he was referring to. This dunce needs to stop wasting limited time and let someone with two brain cells ask questions.
It was McIntyre who asked that question…shocking.

Reactions: Mooche

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Same guy that took it upon himself to deny Andrew Harris his shot at CFL MOP last year. Nothing worse than when the media thinks their personal opinion is more important than their readership's. I cancelled my subscription over Hamilton's actions last year with Harris, and sent a very wordy e-mail along with it to let his employer know I did not appreciate Hamilton's grandstanding.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well I got many of the answers I wanted at that conference. Imo the matter of Chevy is concluded satisfactorily imo, many are free to disagree with that.

What I wanted to hear was about what type of culture is prevalent in the org and I got my answers. It seems the players feel safe and empowered and Chipman expressed he wanted everyone to feel empowered and that he was not removed from everyone due to beuracracy.

Knowing the org when they commit to doing something about an important issue they follow through on that "project 11".

I am also so glad that Chipman made this about much more then hockey, it is a problem in society as a whole and I'm glad they aren't just going to focus on the hockey aspect of it.

In the end it's about how we can move forward and I heard more from this org on that then any other stakeholder the past week.

Last edited:

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
This is so unprofessional. He should be embarrassed to call himself a reporter.

It appears that Westhead did not understand Chevy and Chipman correctly at all. I like how he put that little disclaimer in there. Seems like legalese isn't limited to Batman.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You say the answer to the question is easy...yet you got it wrong. The correct response imo, is you immediately suspend the coach in question then you meet with the victim. You offer the victim your support, and the full support of your organization should THEY CHOOSE to go to the police. You ensure them that regardless of their choice to pursue charges or not a full investigation will occur. You offer them all the supports (counselling, anonymity, time off if required) and reassure them that if they choose to go to the police the team will fully cooperate with the investigation, and if they choose not to do so that you respect their decision and that if the investigation supports his claims you will fire said employee and you will work hard to make sure this predator never works in hockey again. You offer any help necessary and ask if the victim would prefer the club to go to the police with this, and you respect the decision the victim makes.

It is wholly irresponsible to assume that you should contact the police when informed. That is at the sole discretion of the victim. 99% of sexual assaults go unreported because the victim doesn't want to go through the trauma of the process that comes with it. I respect the victim's rights to not have to do that if they so choose and as an organization would have the realization that many won't and have a suitable alternative to bring forth justice on the matter.

This is probably a better response than simply calling the police, you're right.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
one does have to wonder if the nhl/sport does have a problem...now with the lawsuit in pittsville, it is gonna be a long year/season for the league.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
It was McIntyre who asked that question…shocking.

Meh. It's OK. There are enough real reporters asking questions about all of this (Billeck, Hamilton, Murat, Westhead) that it doesn't matter if some questions are taken from the glorified PR people (McIntyre, everyone at CJOB, everyone else at TSN besides Westhead).

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Chevy must have been somewhat important if he was called into the meeting with the other six executives? Not sure how Aldrich made it thru to the celebrations, parade, ring, and bonus with zero follow up.

Didn’t Chevy comment yesterday he barely knew whoAldrich was but Quennville praised him in a report. Would the video coach travel with the team?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy must have been somewhat important if he was called into the meeting with the other six executives? Not sure how Aldrich made it thru to the celebrations, parade, ring, and bonus with zero follow up.

Didn’t Chevy comment yesterday he barely knew whoAldrich was but Quennville praised him in a report. Would the video coach travel with the team?

It seems to me that Chevy primarily handled the Cap and Scouting so his direct reports would have been stats and money people and the scouts. It is becoming more apparent to me that he really shouldn't have even been invited to that meeting as he had nothing to contribute and none of the parties involved fell within the scope of his business portfolio.

I'm having a hard time understanding how Bergevin wasn't included as he was director of player personnel at that time if memory serves me correctly and you would think a matter involving a player would be under his portfolio as a AGM.

Reactions: Zippity

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well I got many of the answers I wanted at that conference. Imo the matter of Chevy is concluded satisfactorily imo, many are free to disagree with that.

What I wanted to hear was about what type of culture is prevalent in the org and I got my answers. It seems the players feel safe and empowered and Chipman expressed he wanted everyone to feel empowered and that he was not removed from everyone due to beuracracy.

Knowing the org when they commit to doing something about an important issue they follow through on that "project 11".

I am also so glad that Chipman made this about much more then hockey, it is a problem in society as a whole and I'm glad they aren't just going to focus on the hockey aspect of it.

In the end it's about how we can move forward and I heard more from this org on that then any other stakeholder the past week.

My take away... What happened in Chicago will never happen in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Jets organization got dragged into this by association, but listening to Chipman gives me the confidence that these kind of issues won't happen in this organization. And I believe that if Chipman thought for one second that Chevy wasn't being truthful, Chevy would be gone.

As far as Chevy... he has answered the questions to my satisfaction. Hindsight is always great, but I truly believe that he wishes he knew more so that he could have done more. But like he said... you can't know if you don't know. Chevy's previous statements that came out were written by lawyers to be specifically vague, but they weren't lies, and I don't believe Chevy lied.

As far as Westhead... he has done an admiral job in bringing this issue to light as it was needed , and the tough questions need to be asked. But it is more than obvious that Westhead doesn't believe Chevy and nothing less than Chevy being fired will suffice.

I'm confident the Jets will do the right thing. I still have doubts the NHL as a whole will ever do the right thing. There is too much drive to win, but that's sports in general.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
On a side note in regards to having Aldrich's name X'ed off the Stanley Cup which I heard they were looking at... do people know that as of today, there are two names on the Stanley Cup of people that actually killed someone. Those names aren't going away and that's why the NHL will never do the right thing. The NHL will do whatever to appease people in the moment they get caught with their pants down, but never more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My take away... What happened in Chicago will never happen in Winnipeg. The Winnipeg Jets organization got dragged into this by association, but listening to Chipman gives me the confidence that these kind of issues won't happen in this organization. And I believe that if Chipman thought for one second that Chevy wasn't being truthful, Chevy would be gone.

As far as Chevy... he has answered the questions to my satisfaction. Hindsight is always great, but I truly believe that he wishes he knew more so that he could have done more. But like he said... you can't know if you don't know. Chevy's previous statements that came out were written by lawyers to be specifically vague, but they weren't lies, and I don't believe Chevy lied.

As far as Westhead... he has done an admiral job in bringing this issue to light as it was needed , and the tough questions need to be asked. But it is more than obvious that Westhead doesn't believe Chevy and nothing less than Chevy being fired will suffice.

I'm confident the Jets will do the right thing. I still have doubts the NHL as a whole will ever do the right thing. There is too much drive to win, but that's sports in general.

Yeah I don't think Westhead has had a great week myself. I greatly appreciate what he has done prior to the past few interviews but imo he is clearly looking for blood at this point and has his knives out with regards to mostly Bettman and I think that has impacted his reporting. I find he hasn't been fair with some of his comments and is taking what he wants from some answers.

Bettman said he'd be open to providing counciling resources to the kid and Westhead went off on it like the answer was a no. Not saying I liked that conference by Bettman but some selective listening going on imo.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah I don't think Westhead has had a great week myself. I greatly appreciate what he has done prior to the past few interviews but imo he is clearly looking for blood at this point and has his knives out with regards to mostly Bettman and I think that has impacted his reporting. I find he hasn't been fair with some of his comments and is taking what he wants from some answers.

Bettman said he'd be open to providing counciling resources to the kid and Westhead went off on it like the answer was a no. Not saying I liked that conference by Bettman but some selective listening going on imo.

Agreed, he started out sincerely and professional but now seems to be more personal thing against all parties and he’s lost credibility in my eyes as a result

None

Feb 22, 2012

To be fair to Westhead, I think Bettman's answer was pretty non-committal to the point of almost sounding dismissive. He wanted to hear more about that case rather than outright committing to it on the spot. It was one of his answers that was way too lawyerly and I personally thought that it was something that a PR person probably would have suggested before Bettman and Daly got in front of the media.

Agreed completely with the sentiment above that point though.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be fair to Westhead, I think Bettman's answer was pretty non-committal to the point of almost sounding dismissive. He wanted to hear more about that case rather than outright committing to it on the spot. It was one of his answers that was way too lawyerly and I personally thought that it was something that a PR person probably would have suggested before Bettman and Daly got in front of the media.

Agreed completely with the sentiment above that point though.

Well Bettman and Daly are lawyers through and through so I guess I wasn't so surprised by how they responded. Maybe I was looking at the responses through a more optimistic lense.

Reactions: None

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll caveat what I'm about to say is that is only my view and stems from my experiences and beliefs. I don't expect everyone to think the same as me. What's great about diversity or diverse thinking is that it can help organization become innovative and create better results. So i welcome others who dont think like me. (to be truthful I didn't always think like this)

First is in the case of Chevy to me there was some culpability but in my opinion punishment or shaming him would not serve to help create a better future. I would argue Chevy's experience with this had an emotional impact on him. I want people in positions like his to have an emotional impact as there is a better chance of true change happening. If we just removed him from his position again in my opinion we would be stepping backward. The others involved getting fired or being removed I'm OK with as their culpability was too much.

Having said that we need to see that there are vulnerable people all around us who still are being abused in one way or another.

My company is majority First Nations owned and operated. 90% of my workforce is indigenous. I've seen the emotional toll this last year has had with the community I work with when it comes to residential schools. A wise Chief said to me recently that true reconciliation can't happen until the Truth is told.

In the case of Kyle Beach the truth is coming out but not all. Parties involved need to speak their truth and not necessarily be condemned for it but challenged. That is where reconciliation starts..........with truth.

During the pandemic my wife and I have had the opportunity to work/volunteer downtown. The homeless have been hit hard and are just one example of how the vulnerable are still being abused.

The path forward again in my opinion should be focused on what's next. If you are passionate use that energy to create change around you. Take time if someone needs help......don't walk by.......please speak up when someone needs help and do be apart of a better path forward.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll caveat what I'm about to say is that is only my view and stems from my experiences and beliefs. I don't expect everyone to think the same as me. What's great about diversity or diverse thinking is that it can help organization become innovative and create better results. So i welcome others who dont think like me. (to be truthful I didn't always think like this)

First is in the case of Chevy to me there was some culpability but in my opinion punishment or shaming him would not serve to help create a better future. I would argue Chevy's experience with this had an emotional impact on him. I want people in positions like his to have an emotional impact as there is a better chance of true change happening. If we just removed him from his position again in my opinion we would be stepping backward. The others involved getting fired or being removed I'm OK with as their culpability was too much.

Having said that we need to see that there are vulnerable people all around us who still are being abused in one way or another.

My company is majority First Nations owned and operated. 90% of my workforce is indigenous. I've seen the emotional toll this last year has had with the community I work with when it comes to residential schools. A wise Chief said to me recently that true reconciliation can't happen until the Truth is told.

In the case of Kyle Beach the truth is coming out but not all. Parties involved need to speak their truth and not necessarily be condemned for it but challenged. That is where reconciliation starts..........with truth.

During the pandemic my wife and I have had the opportunity to work/volunteer downtown. The homeless have been hit hard and are just one example of how the vulnerable are still being abused.

The path forward again in my opinion should be focused on what's next. If you are passionate use that energy to create change around you. Take time if someone needs help......don't walk by.......please speak up when someone needs help and do be apart of a better path forward.

Very nice post, I have been learning more about the indigenous practices you speak of and I see a lot of value in that way of thinking moving forward.

I just find that sometimes in some aspects of society today there is too much focuse punishment and condemnation instead of rehabilitation and learning.

In the end we are all human and we all have faults and all make mistakes, but true growth often comes from learning and a good amount of learning comes through making mistakes.

I'm all for holding the people most responsible accountable and imo that has largely been done here, still waiting for domino's to fall at the PA and league head office.

I think we now need to look forward and put what we have learned unto practice and create better organizations and a better society in general. I am confident Chipman has a very empowered organization and have no doubt he and the org will create something like project 11 to help victims of sexual abuse.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Very nice post, I have been learning more about the indigenous practices you speak of and I see a lot of value in that way of thinking moving forward.

I just find that sometimes in some aspects of society today there is too much focuse punishment and condemnation instead of rehabilitation and learning.

In the end we are all human and we all have faults and all make mistakes, but true growth often comes from learning and a good amount of learning comes through making mistakes.

I'm all for holding the people most responsible accountable and imo that has largely been done here, still waiting for domino's to fall at the PA and league head office.

I think we now need to look forward and put what we have learned unto practice and create better organizations and a better society in general. I am confident Chipman has a very empowered organization and have no doubt he and the org will create something like project 11 to help victims of sexual abuse.

Yeah, I think Chipman needs to follow up his pledge yesterday with some action pretty soon. A Project 11 type of thing would be a great start.

Reactions: Romang67 and None

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I think Chipman needs to follow up his pledge yesterday with some action pretty soon. A Project 11 type of thing would be a great start.

If they are going to do it right, they will need to take there time when drawing the plan up as they will likely need to talk to many different stakeholders and experts.

Reactions: FFHockey

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
If they are going to do it right, they will need to take there time when drawing the plan up as they will likely need to talk to many different stakeholders and experts.
Really like the idea of an independent third party org.

Tough sell honestly to a bunch of very rich people who like control or have been reinforced through having control.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really like the idea of an independent third party org.

Tough sell honestly to a bunch of very rich people who like control or have been reinforced through having control.

Well I think how they went about project 11 is a good idea for this type of program. I think if mwmory serves it was drafted and then piloted to a few schools and has gradually been refined and rolled out to more and more schools since then.

Might be a bit harder for this program to find its target groups but I think you have to have a way to test its effectiveness and refine as needed and the expand the scope of the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad