NHL clears Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing in Beach case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

NHL chooses not to discipline Jets' Cheveldayoff for role in Blackhawks scandal (sportsnet.ca)

NHL's reasoning

"Cheveldayoff’s role within the Blackhawks’ organization at the time not only left him without authority to make appropriate organizational decisions relating to this matter, but as importantly, he was not thereafter even in a position to have sufficient information to assess whether or not the matter was being adequately addressed by the Blackhawks. In short, Cheveldayoff was not a participant in either the formulation or execution of the Club’s response."

Please behave.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am a bit surprised, probably not going to be a good PR look. I do understand the merits of their argument though, Chevy was not responsible for the action/inaction of the organization, though I do believe he should have done more.

Perhaps this helps move things forward and starts to empower more people to make decisions and speak up.

The old hierarchy models don't work for things like this.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
First off I'd like to wish all you mods good luck today. I hope you slept well last night, ate a healthy breakfast, are well hydrated and are ready for the next few hours.
Amen. Good luck, mods. This place is gonna be bonkers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The league kicked Quinville out so if they thought Chevy was complicient in any major way he would be gone as well.

We are talking about the GM of the smallest market vs. A three time cup winning coach who has one of the NHL's pet markets off to a great start. It's hard to find any reason to doubt the NHL was very thorough here.

Having said that TNSE and Chevy are going to still have to answer some very difficult questions in the coming days. I hope they are prepared.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’ll admit I’m surprised he didn’t get ANYTHING. Not even a fine. However, I don’t know all the details and don’t feel as comfortable feeling in the blanks as some other people are. I hope the NHL made the right call on this because you can’t screw something like this up after it’s already been mishandled this long.

I figured from a PR perspective the NHL would axe him though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Perhaps this helps move things forward and starts to empower more people to make decisions and speak up.

The old hierarchy models don't work for things like this.
Teams need to have actual best practice HR policies in place. Primarily, things like this aren't left in the hands of the hockey people but rather HR professionals that have no connection to the sports side of the operation.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Interesting... and a bit surprising.

But, Chevy was low man in the meeting and the league feels he had nothing to do with the cover up. This is fair.

I am waiting to see what TNSE puts out as a statement, because even if the league feels Chevy wasn't involved in what happened, there is still going to be a percentage of the fan base that will still want him gone. And the fan base is who TNSE ultimately answers to.

Interesting day coming.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I believe that the NHL made the correct decision, and a brave decision based upon the facts presented. When you set speculations aside, there is no straight line to Chevy having done anything wrong.

I previously stated that while I thought that that would be the right decision (not to punish Chevy), I would probably make the chicken shit decision and can him just for having his name in this mess. And that that would ruin someone's career in an undeserving way. Thank goodness that the league has the balls to look at this objectively and make the difficult but correct decision in this instance and NOT ruin Chevy's career in an unwarranted fashion.

That does not mean that the NHL does not have it's own failings wrt to Kyle. I don't think we will ever learn what the league heard or knew, and if anyone there should be held accountable.

What happened here needs to trigger significant reform in the NHL (and pro sports). Kyle is a hero. Thank you for having the strength to speak publicly about your experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad