NHL clears Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing in Beach case

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I haven't had time to watch the pc yet (just got off work in pacific time now watching the game) but to me.. everyone at that meeting and knew about this is guilty for keeping it under wraps. Period. Chevy included. Could be some of the team as well. He can be sorry cool. Only sorry now because its being put in the spotlight and is worried about his own future. Lost all respect for him, and now Chipman for even being at the presser trying to defend him. Sucks I wanted to buy a Dubois jersey but will do only what I can and that is holding onto my money and not supporting who I disagree with.
What should Chevy reported and who to?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I haven't had time to watch the pc yet (just got off work in pacific time now watching the game) but to me.. everyone at that meeting and knew about this is guilty for keeping it under wraps. Period. Chevy included. Could be some of the team as well. He can be sorry cool. Only sorry now because its being put in the spotlight and is worried about his own future. Lost all respect for him, and now Chipman for even being at the presser trying to defend him. Sucks I wanted to buy a Dubois jersey but will do only what I can and that is holding onto my money and not supporting who I disagree with.
3B90C8EF-FE65-4CA8-B2B4-1355340B02F4.jpeg

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Three things have become more and more clear:

1) For many people, literally nothing but Chevy being fired would have satisfied them. Their flitting from one excuse to the next makes it abundantly clear that nothing is good enough. That's their right to an opinion, I will still criticize their duplicity (both to others and themselves).

2) In light of #1, any further effort by Chevy and Bettman and so forth to sway unconvinced people is wasted. As @Ducky10 said, it's time to move on. And that's time to move on with actions. I agree with Sheldon Kennedy on this point -- the key is empowering people to speak up.

3) Some of these media types are like, .. I mean, like I said way back when, they remind me of those who spewed the most ridiculous takes during the "Pay Brianna" debacle. Hoo boy. To paraphrase Howard Cosell, I wonder if these reporters understand that they are constructing an advertisement for the abolition of the very industry that they're a part of.
This post gives me hope for the survival of common sense and objectivity.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What should Chevy reported and who to?

Every single declaration that Chevy didn't do enough at the time, in my mind, is worthless without at minimum telling me what Chevy should have done at that time only knowing what he knew at the time. Retrospect is a hell of a drug, and it allows you to make outrageous (yet reasonable!) assertions that, yeah, it would have been okay to yeet that Hitler baby into the ocean or whatever. And that's one thing I keep wondering as this drags on -- at the time, what more should Chevy have done given that the timeline went from "first meeting" to "he's shitcannned" literally as fast as a multi-multi-million corporation can go.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
the people who advocate chevy receiving some sort of punishment/discipline for his non -action are just as or their opinions/reasons are just as valid as anyone's who is supportive of chevy......and the critiscim of those who are deemed unreasonable in their statements.......well look in the mirror

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
the people who advocate chevy receiving some sort of punishment/discipline for his non -action are just as or their opinions/reasons are just as valid as anyone's who is supportive of chevy......and the critiscim of those who are deemed unreasonable in their statements.......well look in the mirror

I have no problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with me whatsoever. If I haven't made that much clear, then that's a failure of communication on my part. My beef is only for those who are dishonest about it. Saying things like "I'm not satisfied because Bettman's language was too lawyerly" then immediately "I'm not satisfied because Gary asking to talk on a first name basis is an obvious abusive power play and is completely empty". Or that Chevy didn't apologize, then immediately that his apology didn't meet a set of standards that are impossible to meet, &c &c &c.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Watched all of it. Saw the same question rephrased 20 different ways. What did you see ?

I saw Chevy being asked what he would've done if he knew then the extent of what happened to Beach, which is when I said he should just say contact the authorities.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I saw Chevy being asked what he would've done if he knew then the extent of what happened to Beach, which is when I said he should just say contact the authorities.

Kind of silly question though and in way , kind of offensive . How would you feel if you knew someone that showed warning signs and seemed "off" somehow. That person goes on to rape someone. Then a reporter asks you, if you knew that person was going do that crime, would you let that rape to still happen?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Kind of silly question though and in way , kind of offensive . How would you feel if you knew someone that showed warning signs and seemed "off" somehow. That person goes on to rape someone. Then a reporter asks you, if you knew that person was going do that crime, would you let that rape to still happen?

The one way I'd see criticizing Chevy is when Aldrich, in his next job, was exposed as a sexual abuser. At this point, Chevy could easily have held some of his former bosses' feet to the fire, he could have reached out to Kyle and encouraged and supported him to come forth, he could have brought this up to his bosses -- "hey Gary, how come this guy we shitcanned based on credible allegations got his next job in hockey, maybe we should look into how he left the Hawks", etc.?

That, again, fits my criteria of "knowing only what he knew then".

Dirtyclapper

Sep 3, 2021
North Van
I have no problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with me whatsoever. If I haven't made that much clear, then that's a failure of communication on my part. My beef is only for those who are dishonest about it. Saying things like "I'm not satisfied because Bettman's language was too lawyerly" then immediately "I'm not satisfied because Gary asking to talk on a first name basis is an obvious abusive power play and is completely empty". Or that Chevy didn't apologize, then immediately that his apology didn't meet a set of standards that are impossible to meet, &c &c &c.

Well you just tried to attack my opinion with a crappy meme because I disagreed with you so I'm gonna call bs. Also I would appreciate a good meme next time atleast. A proper 20 second Google search.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Whoops my bad. My phone is glitching hard on this site right now. Took me like 10 minutes to even try to respond. The other guy I mean. I think? Who knows. Intermission.. smoke time.

My apologies

Thank you for clearing that up. And yeah I meant it, I don't post my opinions like they're holy rubric. If you think I'm not living up to my own words, I expect to at least be challenged on it. And yeah this site is horrible for mobiles. Like, terribad >.<

Reactions: Dirtyclapper

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Everyone in the room only knew of allegations of inappropriate sexual advances, nothing criminal was known at that time. It was still an HR matter.
Still? It wasn’t an HR matter until 3 weeks later when McDonough finally told them on June 14. That’s like one of the biggest parts of this story.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Still? It wasn’t an HR matter until 3 weeks later when McDonough finally told them on June 14. That’s like one of the biggest parts of this story.
True but I meant that nobody knew of any criminal wrong doing and that it should be an HR matter. The fact that the Hawks delayed the HR investigation for 3 weeks is one of the inactions that led to this tragedy.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

Westhead has done some of the most important investigation and reporting in recent times. Too bad he’s resorting to conspiracy theories here.

Im not sure who the dunce in the media who on most likely the most important question in his life with more ears listening to them then they will ever have comes out stating that Chipman once said he wanted to model his team after the Blackhawks and wants Chipman to explain himself. Like this meeting that Chipman didn’t know about was exactly what he was referring to. This dunce needs to stop wasting limited time and let someone with two brain cells ask questions.

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
The question posed to Chevy was "what would you have done had you known the extent of what happened?", not "what would you have done differently at the time?".

I would've called the police had I been told everything that Aldrich had done. That didn't happen for Chevy so I'm not saying he should've called. I'm saying the answer to the question he was given was easy and he basically said "I don't know".

I'm beginning to wonder if people actually watched the press conference

You say the answer to the question is easy...yet you got it wrong. The correct response imo, is you immediately suspend the coach in question then you meet with the victim. You offer the victim your support, and the full support of your organization should THEY CHOOSE to go to the police. You ensure them that regardless of their choice to pursue charges or not a full investigation will occur. You offer them all the supports (counselling, anonymity, time off if required) and reassure them that if they choose to go to the police the team will fully cooperate with the investigation, and if they choose not to do so that you respect their decision and that if the investigation supports his claims you will fire said employee and you will work hard to make sure this predator never works in hockey again. You offer any help necessary and ask if the victim would prefer the club to go to the police with this, and you respect the decision the victim makes.

It is wholly irresponsible to assume that you should contact the police when informed. That is at the sole discretion of the victim. 99% of sexual assaults go unreported because the victim doesn't want to go through the trauma of the process that comes with it. I respect the victim's rights to not have to do that if they so choose and as an organization would have the realization that many won't and have a suitable alternative to bring forth justice on the matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad