NHL clears Cheveldayoff of wrongdoing in Beach case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Well I think how they went about project 11 is a good idea for this type of program. I think if mwmory serves it was drafted and then piloted to a few schools and has gradually been refined and rolled out to more and more schools since then.

Might be a bit harder for this program to find its target groups but I think you have to have a way to test its effectiveness and refine as needed and the expand the scope of the program.
Going to read more about Project 11. Sounds interesting

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
Yeah I don't think Westhead has had a great week myself. I greatly appreciate what he has done prior to the past few interviews but imo he is clearly looking for blood at this point and has his knives out with regards to mostly Bettman and I think that has impacted his reporting. I find he hasn't been fair with some of his comments and is taking what he wants from some answers.

Bettman said he'd be open to providing counseling resources to the kid and Westhead went off on it like the answer was a no. Not saying I liked that conference by Bettman but some selective listening going on imo.

I am old(er). But consuming the news used to be way simpler for me. I liked it when newspapers, radio, and TV news made clear the difference between fact that can be proven, and opinion that was couched as "editorial" or "op-ed".

Over the years, particularly over the last couple during the Trump-era, this interweb thing has really blurred or even completely torn apart the line between fact and opinion in the media. The above terms seem to have all but disappeared, and there is no vetting process or authority that requires anyone to state if their online content is indeed fact or opinion.

IMO, Westhead is no longer being objective in his reporting, and he should likely not be considered a "reporter". As such, should these individuals (including some well know locals I will not mention here) even be able to have the ability to ask questions at these "pressers"??

I may just be old, but I often long for simpler times.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am old(er). But consuming the news used to be way simpler for me. I liked it when newspapers, radio, and TV news made clear the difference between fact that can be proven, and opinion that was couched as "editorial" or "op-ed".

Over the years, particularly over the last couple during the Trump-era, this interweb thing has really blurred or even completely torn apart the line between fact and opinion in the media. The above terms seem to have all but disappeared, and there is no vetting process or authority that requires anyone to state if their online content is indeed fact or opinion.

IMO, Westhead is no longer being objective in his reporting, and he should likely not be considered a "reporter". As such, should these individuals (including some well know locals I will not mention here) even be able to have the ability to ask questions at these "pressers"??

I no longer pay attention to the news like I used to. I really don't find much of what is said to be of any value unless it can be backed up with facts. There is just way too much sensationalism out there these days.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
reading the responses to the media articles the chevy/chipmen presser, a lot more people are upset about than just a few. it will an interesting
next several months for tnse.

Reactions: Zippity

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I no longer pay attention to the news like I used to. I really don't find much of what is said to be of any value unless it can be backed up with facts. There is just way too much sensationalism out there these days.
Twitter becoming one of the main go-tos for reporting is both a natural next step following the 24/7 news reporting, and extremely damaging in that they are rushing to report things, largely based on hearsay, and if it turns out something is incorrect they often either don't correct it, stand by their incorrect claim, or quietly delete it. And it doesn't matter, because the boatloads of people who saw the original tweet through shares or likes won't see the retraction even if there is one.

Case in point, the dolt who reported that Chevy sat on his hands as the person in charge of Rockford a few pages back has deleted that tweet. He actually noted that he may have been incorrect, only to turn around and immediately say that the fact that Chevy was in the Blackhawks organization while that happened still makes him culpable, and it's stunning that Chevy is still employed. But either if he had been honest and actually admitted that he made a claim that turned out to be false and that he's an idiot that people shouldn't listen to, do you think the 2100+ (last I saw that tweet, which was a while before he deleted it) people who saw and liked the tweet will find out about that?

There are now MANY people who, based on quickly thrown together tweets, believe that Chevy oversaw Rockford. They aren't going to see anything disproving this, and so they are going to go around believing that Chevy was involved in that. Or they don't care, like that twit who tweeted, because at this point they have decided that it must be so, regardless of evidence.

djc

Jul 12, 2011
I have been thinking about what can we do here at HF Boards. I think hockey players and hockey fans of all ages read this board so could a forum be added that includes a list of links and descriptions of organizations that specialize in wellness issues? The forum would not be open to comments. It would contain clear descriptions of the services available and a means to contact them. I assume it would have to be limited to national programs in US and Canada to start. I have no idea if there are any legal ramifications involved. Just a thought.

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018

Does it/ Will it ever end with this guy? Hamilton that is…

Hamilton does not seem to understand that sometimes a job title doesn't match up with the person's actual role. Many companies and organizations will give a person a meaningless title. Makes them happy. He is banging the drum that Chevy was something that everyone in the organization at the time has already testified to the investigation that he was not.

I mean what is Hamilton getting at? The organization let everyone walk the plank but chose to protect only Chevy, and all the gentlemen who resigned also willingly bit the bullet but would not allow Chevy to do so by conspiring to downplay his role. Honestly Hamilton? You can't be that thick can you?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Went out the other night with my baseball team to go watch the Jets game so I put your theory to the test and asked them all. 12 guys all big Jets fans. 7 thought the NHL got it right. 3 didn't even know anything about it, and the other 2 felt disappointed in Chevy but said they put the logo first and would support the Jets no matter what. I don't think the "outrage" you think there is. is as widespread as you think.

I specifically said that I don't know how widespread it is or how deep it is. I only said that if it is wide and deep, the Jets will have to pay attention to it.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

It's a growing problem, in that there is very little left that represents "mainstream media", so no point of reference for subsequent dialogue and debate. I work with a highly educated group of people but many of those under 40 years of age don't subscribe to anything you would recognize as a trusted news source. Unfortunately, what has not changed is humans' need for bias confirmation, so that is what they seek out.

Re Westhead's objectivity--I agree it is compromised, but that is OK. His experiences have turned him into an advocate for the protection a vulnerable group. Advocacy is an essential part of democratic societies, so I have no problem having his voice be heard in relevant media events. But in the end, fairness, balance and due process have to win the day, and they are more nuanced and complex to adjudicate.

Reactions: Krauser

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
reading the responses to the media articles the chevy/chipmen presser, a lot more people are upset about than just a few. it will an interesting
next several months for tnse.

Meh...that's social media these days. Virtue signalling and exaggerated indignation is rampant. At the end of the day people just like to pile on but are really far less upset about it than you would guess from their reaction. A great number of the people that are so upset right now are just caught up in the flavor of the week news cycle drama and are lashing out at whatever the target is that week because they like to lash out at things. It's human nature and by next week something else will come along and they will do the same and not give this issue or the Jets/Chevy a 2nd thought. Sorry but that is the reality of the mob mentality on social media nowadays. People wait with their pitchforks to skewer whatever comes along...not because they are passionate about it but because they just like to be part of the mob.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hulide

BigHulkingThickV

Jan 13, 2021
Meh...that's social media these days. Virtue signalling and exaggerated indignation is rampant. At the end of the day people just like to pile on but are really far less upset about it than you would guess from their reaction. A great number of the people that are so upset right now are just caught up in the flavor of the week news cycle drama and are lashing out at whatever the target is that week because they like to lash out at things. It's human nature and by next week something else will come along and they will do the same and not give this issue or the Jets/Chevy a 2nd thought. Sorry but that is the reality of the mob mentality on social media nowadays. People wait with their pitchforks to skewer whatever comes along...not because they are passionate about it but because they just like to be part of the mob.

This is true to an extent, but you're kidding yourself if you think there isn't significant outrage out there. Yes, it's less than what might appear on Twitter, no one will argue otherwise. In a way, we are isolated on this forum, it's dedicated to the Jets and I have a sneaking suspicion that the average user is decades older than the average Twitter user.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Kind of silly question though and in way , kind of offensive . How would you feel if you knew someone that showed warning signs and seemed "off" somehow. That person goes on to rape someone. Then a reporter asks you, if you knew that person was going do that crime, would you let that rape to still happen?

We should take care of all the bad guys proactively, before they do anything wrong. Just like in Minority Report.

It's that easy, right?

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
Hamilton does not seem to understand that sometimes a job title doesn't match up with the person's actual role. Many companies and organizations will give a person a meaningless title. Makes them happy. He is banging the drum that Chevy was something that everyone in the organization at the time has already testified to the investigation that he was not.

I mean what is Hamilton getting at? The organization let everyone walk the plank but chose to protect only Chevy, and all the gentlemen who resigned also willingly bit the bullet but would not allow Chevy to do so by conspiring to downplay his role. Honestly Hamilton? You can't be that thick can you?

Okay, now I have a better understanding of why so many people have been critical of Hamilton and warning that he has an axe to grind.

Reactions: JetsNut

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Yep
News isn’t news it’s opinions spun to suit .
That’s for all sides of the spectrum.
Want proof?
Read the comments from any story from any news source and reader comments are sickening

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Twitter becoming one of the main go-tos for reporting is both a natural next step following the 24/7 news reporting, and extremely damaging in that they are rushing to report things, largely based on hearsay, and if it turns out something is incorrect they often either don't correct it, stand by their incorrect claim, or quietly delete it. And it doesn't matter, because the boatloads of people who saw the original tweet through shares or likes won't see the retraction even if there is one.

Case in point, the dolt who reported that Chevy sat on his hands as the person in charge of Rockford a few pages back has deleted that tweet. He actually noted that he may have been incorrect, only to turn around and immediately say that the fact that Chevy was in the Blackhawks organization while that happened still makes him culpable, and it's stunning that Chevy is still employed. But either if he had been honest and actually admitted that he made a claim that turned out to be false and that he's an idiot that people shouldn't listen to, do you think the 2100+ (last I saw that tweet, which was a while before he deleted it) people who saw and liked the tweet will find out about that?

There are now MANY people who, based on quickly thrown together tweets, believe that Chevy oversaw Rockford. They aren't going to see anything disproving this, and so they are going to go around believing that Chevy was involved in that. Or they don't care, like that twit who tweeted, because at this point they have decided that it must be so, regardless of evidence.
Twitter is also a more effective avenue for journalists to get their personal opinion out there.

There are two prominent Jets beat writers that, IMO, have clear agendas that you can see come to light not just in their Tweets (under the guise of it being a “personal” thought and not representative of their employer, but in their writing, too). Admittedly, it’s difficult for media to not have their biases, but some reporters don’t even try, it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad