NHL cautiously optimistic about 2021 World Cup.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They got what they wanted. And my understanding was that it generated a ton of revenue.

To me its clearly an extension of the winter classic/all star game etc. They can and should do whatever they want. Generating passion is the name of the game and regional teams would be a great way of doing so.

Alternative ideas that I can think of are adding in the Hartford Whalers and the Quebec Nordiques.

Select players from New England/New York for one, and people from the Q league for the other.

Or create a Wisconsin team and select players from Minnesota/Illinois/Michigan.

That tournament generated about half the revenue that was expected, if I recall correctly, and even the NHL has admitted that it probably won't repeat the stupidity of the North America team again. Even if the opposite were true it still would have been an incredibly stupid idea.

I do prefer World Cup in 2016 way over a World Championship. World Championship is much more of a "bad joke".

Good for you. The IIHF world championship has its own problems, but at least it's actually an international tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Good for you. The IIHF world championship has its own problems, but at least it's actually an international tournament.
The World Cup is an international tournament too and all the best players are taking part. That is the main thing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The World Cup is an international tournament too and all the best players are taking part. That is the main thing.

It's not an international tournament when all the teams are not representing nations. It certainly had better players than the world championship ever had, and that is an issue for the IIHF's tournament.

Reactions: mattihp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's not an international tournament when all the teams are not representing nations. It certainly had better players than the world championship ever had, and that is an issue for the IIHF's tournament.

People just don't like change.

The last world cup was actually very interesting and adding teams like Germany and Switzerland isn't going to increase the best on best value although it will make it more international I guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The last world cup was actually very interesting and adding teams like Germany and Switzerland isn't going to increase the best on best value although it will make it more international I guess.

Stupid change? No, reasonable people don't like stupid change for the most part. Even the NHL seems to have figured out that the young gunz team was a bad idea, hopefully it figures out to remove all the gimmick teams going forward.

Reactions: mattihp

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
North America / Russia was one of the best hockey games of the year and I don't care what anyone says.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Only a tournament organised by international governing body (IIHF or IOC or FIFA or FIBA etc) can be recognised as the international tournament for a sport (hockey, soccer, basketball etc).

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Let's modify the Stanley Cup Playoffs to fit the World Cup format.

1. Lower seeds are eliminated. Only teams with a reasonable chance of winning are included.
2. Two teams are added to the playoffs
-Team Young Guns: All the best u-23 players are prohibited from playing for their respective clubs and must play for this team.
-Team Leftovers: The best players from non-playoff teams play on this team.

This would be the best tournament ever!!! All the best players are taking part. That is the main thing, right?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Let's modify the Stanley Cup Playoffs to fit the World Cup format.

1. Lower seeds are eliminated. Only teams with a reasonable chance of winning are included.
2. Two teams are added to the playoffs
-Team Young Guns: All the best u-23 players are prohibited from playing for their respective clubs and must play for this team.
-Team Leftovers: The best players from non-playoff teams play on this team.

This would be the best tournament ever!!! All the best players are taking part. That is the main thing, right?

No, that is not the main thing. Hockey is a team sport. Your "Young Guns" idea is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on HF.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

So interesting that even less people worldwide cared about it. Also made far less money than expected.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So interesting that even less people worldwide cared about it. Also made far less money than expected.

Well the world cup drew an average attendance per game of 16593 while the World hockey championships that year drew 6,522 fans per game.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Interesting and popular aren't synonyms, though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Interesting and popular aren't synonyms, though.

You are right they aren't but many people here had closed minds about the tournament before it even began so there is literally no way to even get an honest answer about the quality of play in the tournament from them.

Instead they are stuck arguing what it wasn't instead of what it actually was.

That's fine as they will have a market if they choose to hold one again as people want to see the best players in the world play.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A bit smaller arenas. :laugh: Slovakian federation probably made much more money from that than from the World Cup.

It doesn't matter where the WHC are held it simply isnt that big of a draw.

Other years and it's the same result.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It doesn't matter where the WHC are held it simply isnt that big of a draw.

Other years and it's the same result.

Except it is. The World Championship don't have to sell out every game to be a success, especially financially. Finnish hockey association made combined profit of 10,5 million euros from co-hosting the 2012 and 2013 tournaments. You're not going to sell out every game in a tournament with 16 countries cause the minnows simply don't have enough fans who care to make the trip. A lot depends on the host country as well.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think I wouldn't mind all three tournaments. More international hockey!

WHC every year, but most teams not being A level strength. 14 or so teams.

World Cup every 4-8 years with A level strength teams but only 8 or so teams and less history.

Olympic Hockey every 4 years, either not A level teams or A level teams and the pinnacle of international hockey (depending on which years NHL players play.)

I even enjoy the idea of a Hockey Ryder Cup every 4-8 years. North America vs. Europe in a best of five/seven series sounds epic, the two teams would be the most stacked the world could muster.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

World Cup every 4-8 years with A level strength teams but only 8 or so teams and less history.

Olympic Hockey every 4 years, either not A level teams or A level teams and the pinnacle of international hockey (depending on which years NHL players play.)

I even enjoy the idea of a Hockey Ryder Cup every 4-8 years. North America vs. Europe in a best of five/seven series sounds epic, the two teams would be the most stacked the world could muster.

Nope, that thing is dead. Zero interest for that. What works in golf (with decades of history) doesn't work in team sports.

Last edited:

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Stupid change? No, reasonable people don't like stupid change for the most part. Even the NHL seems to have figured out that the young gunz team was a bad idea, hopefully it figures out to remove all the gimmick teams going forward.
Its hockey a game where 6 countries have the vast majority of the talent.

The NHL often has more immigrants than nationals on its civic based teams.

Why on Earth must the league trap itself into an either or category.

The young gunz team didn't work because it was a new and novel idea with no history behind it.

If team North America had a long and enduring history in the world cup it'd just be accepted as a asset to the brand.

Most people want to see competitive hockey outside of the traditional NHL brand.

This WC is a great excuse for that.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013

Honestly I think people are way too caught up on the term "World Cup".

The NHL wants to have its own tournament outside of the regular game to me this is awesome.

It'll take time to develop a legacy with non national teams but at the end of the day it'll totally work.

The problem with a young guns is limited to the fact that you'll have few repeat appearances. The McDavid's will play on the team once and then move onto their national team as they age out.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Its hockey a game where 6 countries have the vast majority of the talent.

The NHL often has more immigrants than nationals on its civic based teams.

Why on Earth must the league trap itself into an either or category.

The young gunz team didn't work because it was a new and novel idea with no history behind it.

If team North America had a long and enduring history in the world cup it'd just be accepted as a asset to the brand.

Most people want to see competitive hockey outside of the traditional NHL brand.

This WC is a great excuse for that.

The World Cup is presented as and supposed to be an international tournament. In addition to being implicit given the name and history of the tournament, Daly and Bettman explicitly call it an international tournament. When you have non-national teams, the tournament ceases to be an international tournament. The tournament had excellent players, there is no question there, but the format was idiotic. You had some national teams competing against some partial national teams competing against some partial continental teams. The young gunz team can exist for the next hundred years and it will remain just as stupid if it remains a mashup of players under a certain age limit from two countries in what is an otherwise international tournament.

Reactions: vorky

ingenting

Aug 26, 2019
Any international tournament arranged by the NHL is ignored by me no matter the teams and format. The world championship helps developing hockey by distributing money to worse hockey federations. The World Cup only helps developing the owner's bank accounts, and if it would start competing with IIHF it would be detrimental to international hockey.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Honestly I think people are way too caught up on the term "World Cup".

The NHL wants to have its own tournament outside of the regular game to me this is awesome.

It'll take time to develop a legacy with non national teams but at the end of the day it'll totally work.

The problem with a young guns is limited to the fact that you'll have few repeat appearances. The McDavid's will play on the team once and then move onto their national team as they age out.

I kinda agree with you, and still think Quebec idea isn't good. This discussion clearly shows, why, btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad