NHL cautiously optimistic about 2021 World Cup.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I will be cautiously optimistic as long as there are no gimmick teams. One significant question would be how long the NHL would break to allow for the tournament.

Reactions: LiveeviL

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Why do people actually want to see Germany and Slovakia in a World Cup? They lack the edge and can't compete with the big six. Having Team Europe was much more fun than having those minnows filling out spots for the sake of it.

What they should do is returning to the old Canada Cup format with six teams in a round-robin and the best four teams advancing.

Reactions: RamboZambo

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You missed a good tournament.

The big problem is the name. It's ridiculous.
But the tournament was great. The Young Guns team was amazing to watch.

You know what would have been even more amazing to watch? Connor McDavid playing with and learning from Crosby/Towes...Matthews/Eichel playing with and learning from players like Kane/Suter.

Maybe that would have been an amazing final. a final worth the title of World Cup.

no regrets not tuning in. and if they come up the same or other gimmicks, I'll tune out again.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if they had stuck to the plan of having it every 4 years I believe McDavid/Eichel etc.. would have still been young enough to play for the Young Guns team again . I think the criteria was 23 or younger as of a certain date

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You know what would have been even more amazing to watch? Connor McDavid playing with and learning from Crosby/Towes...Matthews/Eichel playing with and learning from players like Kane/Suter.

Maybe that would have been an amazing final. a final worth the title of World Cup.

no regrets not tuning in. and if they come up the same or other gimmicks, I'll tune out again.
It was awful watching McDavid play with Matthews.

NP. Your loss.

Reactions: Christien

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
While team N.A was fun to watch I don't want to see the non national teams again, it just doesn't work as an international tournament and makes it some sort of side show not an international tournament. If it is a proper international tournament then great let's get it going.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
A week long mini tournament? If it guarantees Olympic participation a year later, I can pretend to care about it for a week.
As long as there is nothing but national teams then hockey FANS shouldn't have to pretend they care.

Hockey last olympics was far from top class and I rightly did not ascribe the usual value to it that I have since 1998 so I did not care with the usual passion but I still cared. I knew the results did not signify much if anything at all but I still wanted my team to show well and possibly win and I wanted to and did enjoy the games.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Agree, it is a bad idea to have Young guys team or Team Europe.

But timing is interesting. The KHL has offered the NHL many times to break the season in February for Olympics & their World Cup if they wish. Looks like the NHL is doing it step by step, now they want the tournament instead of ASG. Good move, much better would be February. But still better than September.

Last edited:
Reactions: garbageteam

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
As long as there is nothing but national teams then hockey FANS shouldn't have to pretend they care.

Hockey last olympics was far from top class and I rightly did not ascribe the usual value to it that I have since 1998 so I did not care with the usual passion but I still cared. I knew the results did not signify much if anything at all but I still wanted my team to show well and possibly win and I wanted to and did enjoy the games.

A week long tournament implies enough shenanigans already for it to not be a serious tournament, so pretending to care abound.

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
Agree, it is a bad idea to have Young guys team or Team Europe.

But timing is interesting. The KHL has offered the NHL many times to break the season in February for Olympics & their World Cup is they wish. Looks like the NHL is doing it step by step, now they want the tournament instead of ASG. Good move, much better would be February. But still better than September.
I still rather have it in late August early September.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I still rather have it in late August early September.
That is just fine. Everyone has his own opinion.

The game of hockey needs some universal global approach to international schedule. It is not good for anybody if the NHL is not at Olympics. It is not good when IIHF World takes place during NHL playoffs. It is not good for European leagues to finish their season in late April (so before IIHF Worlds).

1) Winter Olympics will not change their dating, still will be in February
2) IOC will never move hockey to Summer Games even if the NHL would wish it
3) NHL would like to organise their World Cup
4) KHL would like to organise intra-leagues games (KHL/Europe clubs vs NHL)
5) KHL would like to finish their season (including playoffs) in May, but it can not due to IIHF Worlds. Other European leagues do not have such a problem, because their playoff is shorter, so they can accommodate their regular-season since September to early March, then playoffs until April. But the KHL needs to finish their regular season in late February because playoffs are longer (like NHL) than other European leagues. The KHL offered to organise IIHF Worlds in February (during Olympcis break) instead of May, so the KHL would break their regular season in February, but the league could play their playoffs until mid/late May.

All need to agree on the global events schedule. The KHL offered the following model

February break for Olympics (Year 1), IIHF Worlds (Year 2), NHL World Cup (Year 3), NHL vs Europe/KHL Challenge Cup (Year 4), then Olympics again. That means IIHF Worlds would not be played every year. That is the best scenario for hockey fans. Even the NHL should be interesting in it because the league would organise their World Cup every four years, fans would use to its timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad