GDT: NHL Awards Show -- Sid Wins Hart Trophy and Ted Lindsay Award

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Now that Crosby has 3 trophys, when taking a picture of him with them he should put 2 fingers at his mouth with his tongue sticking out in between the 2 fingers.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Sid is now officially locked for HHOF. Now we just follow how far he can go..

Yeah Forsberg got in on his first year and Crosby's career accomplishments easily trump his. A couple more awards and he will have the 2nd best trophy case in Penguins history.

Owtahear

Jun 4, 2014
Only the 4th player in the history to achieve that for more than once. The other three before him? Gretzky, Lemieux and Lafleur. :yo:

I have to bring this up, and I cannot believe this is not discussed more.....but the biggest Hart injustice I ever saw was Gretzky over Lemieux in 1989. Just criminally insane.

Gretzky beat Mario, and it wasn't close.

99's Stats that season: 54 Goals 114 assists and 168 points. He was a +15
66's Stats that season: 85 Goals, 114 assists and 199 points. He was a +41

Gretzky played with fellow HOFer Jari Kurri, and either HOFer Mark Messier or Glenn Anderson (who was an All Star). Mario played with Robbie Brown and Bob Errey.

Most egregious injustice ever. Gretzky got 40 1st place votes to Mario's 18. How was this possible. The Pens even had a better regular season, as Mario led the Pens to their 1st playoff appearance in like 8 years, and they had more points than the Oilers. That is how biased the media was then towards Wayne Gretzky.

Owtahear

Jun 4, 2014
You betcha! Sid now has 7 major individual NHL awards, and another shared one thrown in to boot.

Geno is a lock as well with 6.

All but 3 Hart Trophy winners who are eligible are in the Hall of Fame.

Eric Lindros, Al Rollins and Tommy Anderson.

Lindros would have been a shoe in if injuries didn't cut his career short and still likely will get in. The other two, I never heard of.

Active players who have won a Hart but aren't HOF shoe ins are: Corey Perry, Martin St Louis and Jose Theodore. Perry still has a lot of career left, St Louis playing in NYC will raise his profile. No way Theodore gets in.

So Hart Trophy winners are likely locks. Multiple Hart winners are 1st ballot shoe ins.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Sid making it into the HHOF wasn't really a question after his 2nd year. It is nice to see him finally get some more awards to recognise the fact that he's been the best player in the league for 6-7 years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
And this is why I hate personal awards more than anything. I would rather Sid never win another award the rest of his life and we win two more Cups :laugh:

... but i digress.

Yeah, And Sid's winning doesn't change my opinion that these awards are meaningless because of the morons who vote for them. I am talking Hart that the writers vote on.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure everyone - including Sid - would trade his awards for another Cup. But I don't see why him winning, and us celebrating him and his awards, is a bad thing.

Like it or not, NHL legacies are built/defined by awards. That Crosby has been robbed of his fair share certainly delegitimizes the award/legacy process in many people's eyes (including my own), but that's not Sid's fault. He had a great (regular season). He was healthy for the first time in forever. We got to watch the best player in the world do great things.

That's cause for celebration. I'm happy for him. Congrats.

Now, go win a Cup, you loser.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure everyone - including Sid - would trade his awards for another Cup. But I don't see why him winning, and us celebrating him and his awards, is a bad thing.

Like it or not, NHL legacies are built/defined by awards. That Crosby has been robbed of his fair share certainly delegitimizes the award/legacy process in many people's eyes (including my own), but that's not Sid's fault. He had a great (regular season). He was healthy for the first time in forever. We got to watch the best player in the world do great things.

That's cause for celebration. I'm happy for him. Congrats.

Now, go win a Cup, you loser.

This

Hopefully now after his first full season in what seems like forever, Crosby can have another full season and a long playoff.

Hopefully this quote from Crosby comes true. It will make next season exciting.

"There's still a level I can get to," Crosby said. "Before I got hurt was probably the best I felt and I'd like to get back to that point. I don't feel like I got to that point this year. I feel like I was consistent and that was a product of our team and the guys around me, but I still feel like I can improve and learn a lot more. That's exciting."

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I have to bring this up, and I cannot believe this is not discussed more.....but the biggest Hart injustice I ever saw was Gretzky over Lemieux in 1989. Just criminally insane.

Gretzky played with fellow HOFer Jari Kurri, and either HOFer Mark Messier or Glenn Anderson (who was an All Star). Mario played with Robbie Brown and Bob Errey.

Most egregious injustice ever. Gretzky got 40 1st place votes to Mario's 18. How was this possible. The Pens even had a better regular season, as Mario led the Pens to their 1st playoff appearance in like 8 years, and they had more points than the Oilers. That is how biased the media was then towards Wayne Gretzky.

it has been talked about here on HFB ad nauseam...

on-topic: congrats to Sid, but I'd like some more playoff success instead of the regular season accolades...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You're getting a lot of your facts wrong above. First off, Gretzky won the year he was traded to Los Angeles. So he didn't have Kurri, Messier, or Anderson on his club. Second, the Kings finished second in the conference to Calgary, and had more points than the Pens.

Note: I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your overall point. I was surprised Lemieux didn't win. But if you're going to go on a rant, you should probably be accurate with the details in your rant.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
Yeah Forsberg got in on his first year and Crosby's career accomplishments easily trump his. A couple more awards and he will have the 2nd best trophy case in Penguins history.

I still think it is going to be hard for Sid to trump Jagr's trophy case.

Jagr's accolades as a Penguin:

2x Stanley Cup
5x Art Ross
3x Lester B Pearson
1x Hart (and 3x Hart Runner Up)
6x All-Star Fist Team
1x AllStar Second Team

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

2x Stanley Cup
5x Art Ross
3x Lester B Pearson
6x All-Star Fist Team
1x AllStar Second Team

Well Crosby has surpassed him in Harts and tied him in Lindsays. Jagr has won 9 major trophies, Crosby has won 8.

Owtahear

Jun 4, 2014
You're getting a lot of your facts wrong above. First off, Gretzky won the year he was traded to Los Angeles. So he didn't have Kurri, Messier, or Anderson on his club. Second, the Kings finished second in the conference to Calgary, and had more points than the Pens.

Note: I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your overall point. I was surprised Lemieux didn't win. But if you're going to go on a rant, you should probably be accurate with the details in your rant.

Sorry, my mistake, I thought it was the year after he was traded to LA. Still.......the numbers were overwhelming in favor of Lemieux.

I am using this to try and dispel the supposed Sid bias like this is something new. #99 was by far, the most hyped and pedestaled hockey player, whether he earned it or not.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
And jagr only won 2 Lindsay's with the penguins.

True, I didn't even think about that, so they both have 8 individual awards as Penguins. Crosby is 310 points as a Penguins behind Jagr in 256 fewer games (1.21ppg to tie). So I could easily see Crosby being regarded as the 2nd most accomplished Penguin in a few years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

2x Stanley Cup
5x Art Ross
3x Lester B Pearson
6x All-Star Fist Team
1x AllStar Second Team

Jagr's only got him in Art Ross trophies. And as long as Sid stays healthy, I think he could equal or surpass Jagr by the time he's 30 or 31.

With regards to the all-star teams, IMO, and this is no slight on Jagr's ability, it's a lot easier to get named to an all-star team at wing than at center. I mean, Chris Kunitz got named as a first team all-star last year at wing. When has a player of Kunitz' caliber ever been named to first team all star center?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

2x Stanley Cup
5x Art Ross
3x Lester B Pearson
6x All-Star Fist Team
1x AllStar Second Team

All-Star stuff doesn't count for squat. Especially these days the way the players are picked (and ommitted). It's not even worth bringing up. The first four definitely are. He should get a Lady Byng too for not punching anyone in the nuts this past season. Frickin haters.

Actually I saw ROR had 2PIM. That was pretty crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad