News Article: NHL at the 2022 Olympics

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I mean he made the team last time - and that was a better canada dcorps than this one, and I'd say muzzin's play is at least as good if not better than it was 5yrs ago.

And I love rielly but let's be honest Muzz has been better than him the past 2yrs. Even outscored rielly at even strength. If rielly is in contention so should muzz be.

Didn't he make Olympics because of Doughtey? because they were already a pair in LA

I can't see him making this team, I don't think he even gets considered

So many young guns have come into the league since with Chabot, Makar, Girard and even Ekblad looks decent

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Didn't he make Olympics because of Doughtey? because they were already a pair in LA

Why would Doughty need a chemistry pairing back then?

[QUPTE]I can't see him making this team, I don't think he even gets considered

So many young guns have come into the league since with Chabot, Makar, Girard and even Ekblad looks decent[/QUOTE]

A less impressive group than last time, and Muzz' level of play is on par with most any of those guys, and arguably is more complete than any of them.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Really like your takes on the lines, not too far off of what I've been penciling in but Marner is as much a sure thing to make the team as any player out there.

Not criticizing exactly you directly here really but Marner is the reigning first team NHL all star at right wing. He has more primary assists in the NHL over the last 3 years than anyone not named McDavid. He's also a high motor defensive stud that finished 10th in Selke voting and has underlying numbers pointing to him being one of the best PKers in the NHL. Only having 4 points in 7 games against the best goalie in last years playoffs doesn't seem a strong reason to be cutting him from the team IMO (This seems to be the argument most folks are using along with talking about $ for some reason) and his underlying playoff possession/shot/scoring differentials over the last two playoffs are the best of any right winger in the league.

The only question with Marner is if he will be used on the top line with McDavid/Mack or if he will be reunited with Point from the world juniors line.

With the best line of any team from 2016 still intact and productive (Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron), I think the lines will probably go more like this:

MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Barzal - Point - Stone
Stamkos - O'Reilly - Tavares
(Huberdeau, Couturier )

Insane scoring lines that include 5 of the top ten Selke vote finalists this year make this a nightmare for any team. I'm not sure how any team could contain the pure level of production and creativity that top line has. The only issue there would be chemistry so lets see how it pans out. The second line is a lock on literally everyone's list The third line could be many others teams go to first lines and will feast on favorable matchups. I would especially like to see Barzal unshackled from a more rigid system on the Isle to see what he can do. I think Marner/Stone can be swapped freely here to balance chemistry just right. I was going to leave certain players off if it were big ice but the highly effective Stamkos/Tavares combo from 2016 comes back with O'Reilly replacing Getzlaf down the middle, albeit in a reduced role compared with being a stud 2nd line back then. They will grind other teams depth lines into the ground and can really put the puck in the net too.

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Rielly - Ekblad
(Hamilton)

Not too far off of many folks list but I really think Chabot needs a look in at a major role this year as he has been an absolute beast on a putrid team since he entered the league and stood out whenever he put on a team Canada jersey. I'm fine with Nurse being granted a role here like you but I'm not completely sold of him quite yet.

Price
Fleury
(Kuemper)

I think the fact Price was the best goalie from the playoffs completely solves the problem of who starts in net TBH. Price is the reigning BoB gold medal goalie so he gets the net as he looks in good form. How the season goes can change that a bit but I dont see him not starting. I share your concern about the future though after the implosion of Carter Hart last season.

I thought Vasilevsky was the best goalie in the playoffs last year, though he did have the best team in front of him.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
A less impressive group than last time, and Muzz' level of play is on par with most any of those guys, and arguably is more complete than any of them.

I dont think any group of D in history was as impressive as the mid 2010s Team Canada D, especially that 2014 team. Finding the right combinations could have just as impressive a result though as the sheer size of the talent pool is just crazy.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I thought Vasilevsky was the best goalie in the playoffs last year, though he did have the best team in front of him.

Vasy and Price were 1/2 in the playoffs yea but I thought the Habs were only the better team beyond Price just once in a playoff series (against the Jets) so I would consider his feats a step above. Without Price playing 30 points above his regular season save%, I dont think the Habs make it outta the first round. I think Tampa could go on a run with their backup if they had to.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Shannon "The Hockey Guy" weighs in:

Man, that list of players (especially the D list) gonna make it a tough selection process.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Vasy and Price were 1/2 in the playoffs yea but I thought the Habs were only the better team beyond Price just once in a playoff series (against the Jets) so I would consider his feats a step above. Without Price playing 30 points above his regular season save%, I dont think the Habs make it outta the first round. I think Tampa could go on a run with their backup if they had to.

I get where you’re coming from and can see the argument for Price. I feel that when he did fall back to earth though, it happened at the worst possible time (SCF).

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I dont think any group of D in history was as impressive as the mid 2010s Team Canada D, especially that 2014 team. Finding the right combinations could have just as impressive a result though as the sheer size of the talent pool is just crazy.
Is it nostalgia when I think that the 1998 group was much more impressive?
Raymond Bourque
Al MacInnis
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Stevens
Adam Foote
Eric Desjardins

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Raymond Bourque
Al MacInnis
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Stevens
Adam Foote
Eric Desjardins

This was a probably the best in terms of talent. But lack chemistry as did the entire team. That D core also lacked some serious foot speed

Hence why panels look for existing pairs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Raymond Bourque
Al MacInnis
Chris Pronger
Rob Blake
Scott Stevens
Adam Foote
Eric Desjardins

I agree, that was definitely the more talented group. But I'd also say that it's not nostalgia when I say that the best D Team Canada ever had was in 1976. Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard and Lapointe. I can't remember who the 6th guy was but I don't think it matters, that's a ridiculous bunch of talent right there.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I agree, that was definitely the more talented group. But I'd also say that it's not nostalgia when I say that the best D Team Canada ever had was in 1976. Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard and Lapointe. I can't remember who the 6th guy was but I don't think it matters, that's a ridiculous bunch of talent right there.
Jimmy Watson played two games, and they went with five-D for the rest. Carol Vadnais was also on the roster but did not play.

Yeah, it didn't matter.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad