News Article: NHL at the 2022 Olympics

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Sounds like more arguments from the camp that thinks game 56 of the regular season is the same as game 7 of a playoff series or a single game elimination in the Olympics. I'll take the guys who have had success in the playoffs or have their name on the Cup.[/QUOTE]

Um, Leafs fan?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Trying to recall, how did Marner fair when playing at the WJHC?

4 goals and 2 assists in 5 games.

Canada lost in the quarterfinals in a crazy game to the Finns. Goaltending was a bit of an issue for the team that year:

Reactions: ACC1224

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
In addition to Marner, McDavid and Mackinnons teams have had absolute playoff flops, especially compared with expectations and never close to having their names on the Cup.

Should we leave them off the team?

I could rattle off a few more guys as well but you get the point.

Crosby has failed in the first round twice in a row now to the other opponents goaltending being elite. He's still an absolute lock in my eyes.

Bergeron/Crosby/Marchand is going to be this teams 2nd line.

The only question we face with Marner is whether or not he's going to be on Point's wing or on McDavids.....and where Stone fits in there, despite Stone's 0 points in 6 games against the Habs and red hot Carey Price......he's still a lock.

Want to see Mitch absolutely go on a tear? Get him away from the teams top shutdown line. Put him on Point's wing and watch him feast. Put him on McDavid's wing and watch the puck go over the glass.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leaf fans - the only fans in the world actively rooting against their players to male team canada.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Sadly that’s how much he has become disliked. It’s actually to bad for a local guy to destroy his relationship with the fans so quickly.
It all started with his father coming out and complaining how he was supposedly treated by Lou and Babs then continued with his greedy negotiations in the public resulting in a gross overpayment and culminating with three years of poor playoff performance and 2 years of petulant post season press conference.
I don’t agree with personal attacks but as a hockey player and a Leaf he deserves all the anger directed at him.
He has a lot of work ahead of him if ever he can win back the fans.
I hope the extra contract money was worth it.
He could have been an extremely wealthy loved Leaf player but his greed was simply to strong

Im almost positive he had little impact on his negotiations.

Not trying to be mean to hm but when he was drafted, I watched video of him in interviews and doing silly things with teammates and he's not the brightest bulb in the room (like many hockey players out there).

Pure rink rat that pushed everything off to his handlers/parents/agent and didnt really think about money or even PR stuff himself. I'm sure he wanted a great contract but the impression that he is some sort of conniving money grubbing guy is a little harsh. Probably a little shocked by the negative press over it and Covid really did him (and the Leafs really) in as contracts, no matter how ridiculous they look right now, would have been even higher taking the pressure of him really.

Hamilton would have gotten 10+ million easily and so would Nurse....maybe even close to 11 each. The overall cap and its future is always taken into account when creating these deals.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Long way to go, plenty could change, but at the moment I’d go with something like this for team Canada:

Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Huberdeau - Point - Marner
ROR - Scheifele - Stone
(Tavares, Coots)

Nurse - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Ekblad
(Hamilton)

Fleury
Price
(Kuemper)

The goaltending situation is scary, Fleury and Price getting old and there’s basically no good young Canadian goalies. But otherwise we look pretty great.

I’d say none of Marner/Tavares/Rielly are a lock, but all have a shot. Marner is quite likely to make it, Tavares and Rielly both very borderline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zybalto

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The goaltending situation is scary, Fleury and Price getting old and there’s basically no good young Canadian goalies. But otherwise we look pretty great.

Team Canada always looks pretty great, but I do miss the good old days when we seemed to always have elite goaltending.

I’d say none of Marner/Tavares/Rielly are a lock, but all have a shot. Marner is quite likely to make it, Tavares and Rielly both very borderline.

This is exactly how I see it. None of the three are a lock but if just one gets picked, it's probably Marner.

Having said that, not sure I'll be watching any of it and I'm really hoping to see at least one player (preferably Canadian) who gets picked, boycott the games instead of going.

Reactions: ponder

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Having said that, not sure I'll be watching any of it and I'm really hoping to see at least one player (preferably Canadian) who gets picked, boycott the games instead of going.

There is no chance that happens. These are hockey players that generally do not rock the boat. Players fought hard for the Olympics and have waited a long time for this moment, they're not going to throw that away for a political statement.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is no chance that happens. These are hockey players that generally do not rock the boat. Players fought hard for the Olympics and have waited a long time for this moment, they're not going to throw that away for a political statement.

You're probably right. One can always hope though. Old saying - hope is always the last to die.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Long way to go, plenty could change, but at the moment I’d go with something like this for team Canada:

Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Huberdeau - Point - Marner
ROR - Scheifele - Stone
(Tavares, Coots)

Nurse - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Rielly - Ekblad
(Hamilton)

Fleury
Price
(Kuemper)

Really like your takes on the lines, not too far off of what I've been penciling in but Marner is as much a sure thing to make the team as any player out there.

Not criticizing exactly you directly here really but Marner is the reigning first team NHL all star at right wing. He has more primary assists in the NHL over the last 3 years than anyone not named McDavid. He's also a high motor defensive stud that finished 10th in Selke voting and has underlying numbers pointing to him being one of the best PKers in the NHL. Only having 4 points in 7 games against the best goalie in last years playoffs doesn't seem a strong reason to be cutting him from the team IMO (This seems to be the argument most folks are using along with talking about $ for some reason) and his underlying playoff possession/shot/scoring differentials over the last two playoffs are the best of any right winger in the league.

The only question with Marner is if he will be used on the top line with McDavid/Mack or if he will be reunited with Point from the world juniors line.

With the best line of any team from 2016 still intact and productive (Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron), I think the lines will probably go more like this:

MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner
Barzal - Point - Stone
Stamkos - O'Reilly - Tavares
(Huberdeau, Couturier )

Insane scoring lines that include 5 of the top ten Selke vote finalists this year make this a nightmare for any team. I'm not sure how any team could contain the pure level of production and creativity that top line has. The only issue there would be chemistry so lets see how it pans out. The second line is a lock on literally everyone's list The third line could be many others teams go to first lines and will feast on favorable matchups. I would especially like to see Barzal unshackled from a more rigid system on the Isle to see what he can do. I think Marner/Stone can be swapped freely here to balance chemistry just right. I was going to leave certain players off if it were big ice but the highly effective Stamkos/Tavares combo from 2016 comes back with O'Reilly replacing Getzlaf down the middle, albeit in a reduced role compared with being a stud 2nd line back then. They will grind other teams depth lines into the ground and can really put the puck in the net too.

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Rielly - Ekblad
(Hamilton)

Not too far off of many folks list but I really think Chabot needs a look in at a major role this year as he has been an absolute beast on a putrid team since he entered the league and stood out whenever he put on a team Canada jersey. I'm fine with Nurse being granted a role here like you but I'm not completely sold of him quite yet.

Price
Fleury
(Kuemper)

I think the fact Price was the best goalie from the playoffs completely solves the problem of who starts in net TBH. Price is the reigning BoB gold medal goalie so he gets the net as he looks in good form. How the season goes can change that a bit but I dont see him not starting. I share your concern about the future though after the implosion of Carter Hart last season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah i don't know if Theodore actually deserves the shoo-in status he's getting.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's been a bubble guy for quite a while and never got a look in. How would your D pairings look?

I'm warming up to Chabot. Makar is obviously in - and gets the bulk of the PP duty. Pietro probably a lock.

I think I'd want to get Weegar in there. Maybe Pelech too.

In all honesty given all around play, and no need for more PP guys, I'd think Muzzin would be a good fit.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm warming up to Chabot. Makar is obviously in - and gets the bulk of the PP duty. Pietro probably a lock.

In all honesty given all around play, and no need for more PP guys, I'd think Muzzin would be a good fit.

Yea, its a tough call down there. I'd take Chabot too. Hamilton is another wildcard with his size and 58% CF/xGF/GF over the last 3 years. Shouldnt he get a look in?

Just gotta have faith in a system that has been delivering the last 20 years or so minus that one blip. Just take the best was the lesson from that though.

Muzzin is up there but doesnt get the credit he deserves, although his absense from the Leafs lineup in the playoffs should make it apparent to anyone around here just how valuable a big game guy he is. The Leafs stats with and without him is pretty crazy in both the playoffs and regular season. Dont think they will go with him but who knows.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Is Muzzin not even considered to be a dark horse? Even on an NHL rink?

I mean he made the team last time - and that was a better canada dcorps than this one, and I'd say muzzin's play is at least as good if not better than it was 5yrs ago.

And I love rielly but let's be honest Muzz has been better than him the past 2yrs. Even outscored rielly at even strength. If rielly is in contention so should muzz be.

Reactions: Menzinger

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yea, its a tough call down there. I'd take Chabot too. Hamilton is another wildcard with his size and 58% CF/xGF/GF over the last 3 years. Shouldnt he get a look in?

Just gotta have faith in a system that has been delivering the last 20 years or so minus that one blip. Just take the best was the lesson from that though.

Muzzin is up there but doesnt get the credit he deserves, although his absense from the Leafs lineup in the playoffs should make it apparent to anyone around here just how valuable a big game guy he is. The Leafs stats with and without him is pretty crazy in both the playoffs and regular season. Dont think they will go with him but who knows.

Yeah dougie makes sense too....but are his even strength stats better than makar or weegar's? And are we not going to take Pietro then?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah dougie makes sense too....but are his even strength stats better than makar or weegar's? And are we not going to take Pietro then?

Its tough to say really after such a bizarre contained season. What I like about Hamilton is that hes 58% across the board including this season for the last 3 years. Crazy consistent. I think play heading into the Olympic break will matter a ton with so many viable candidates.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Leaf fans - the only fans in the world actively rooting against their players to male team canada.
Nope. They are Leafs fans looking at the rosters as a Team Canada fan and not being a homer.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

I didn't even see your post right above mine. No disrespect to any of the names out there, but this is not even close to the level of dominant defenceman that we've seen at previous tournaments - not to mention the fact that he's a very good player.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
yeah i don't know if Theodore actually deserves the shoo-in status he's getting.

I think that the thinking behind that is to have a D pair with familiarity. As he and Pietrangelo are partners I believe? Worked well with Keith and Seabrook granted those 2 were something special.

I wouldn't even be shocked if the lines to start were something like

Crosby - Mcdavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Bergeron - Huberdeau
Stone - Point - Stamkos
Barzal - Tavares - Marner

Ex ROR, Scheflie, Couturier

People say the goaltending is getting bad but Price is still good. Hopefully in 4 years Carter Hart can be our next Price. He had an awful year but defensively Philly was terrible, not 1 of their 3 goalies posted a 90% SV

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad