NHL and NHLPA Prefer to play some regular season games if they are able to resume playing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bettman said ending a season without crowning a champion is, “not something I’m even contemplating.”

“I believe that if the right time comes, and the right circumstances, based on all of the options that we’re considering and our ability to execute them, we’ll get this season done,” Bettman said. “I don’t want to sound Pollyanna, but canceling is too easy a solution. That means you stop working hard to do all of the things that we’re doing, and I ultimately believe that there will be an opportunity.”

“States are re-opening, cities are re-opening,” Bettman said. “And if we do the right things, I think we’ll be able to finish the season.”

Seems Gary is forgetting there are teams in Canada and with the potential that the Canada / U.S. border could be closed until the end of June ( The Canada-U.S. border is expected to stay closed to non-essential travel until June 21, the Globe and Mail newspaper reported on Wednesday.) ... kind of makes it hard for some players to rejoin their teams to start practicing.

That border could remain closed a lot longer than until June 21.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For the NHL to resume a doctor recommended the following:

- Full face shields, potentially modified to further reduce the spread of droplets
- No fighting
- No scrums after whistles for linesmen to break up
- Coaches to practice social distancing and wear face masks on the bench
- Wingers to maintain two feet of distance on faceoffs instead of the traditional crossing of sticks and leaning into the same space
- No spitting on ice or the bench

Other than full face shields, I can't see the NHL going along with any of these recommendations... but wearing a full face shield would just bring in a natural reduction to some things.

The no spitting rule would be a must. Sorry players, gotta' break that disgusting habit now. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not me. Really, at this point I don't care either way. If the Jets are in the playoffs I won't get to see them live and to me that's what the playoffs are all about. And...With what will ultimately be a shit show no matter how it gets played, it's not a real season nor a real playoffs. Hats off to whatever team does win the Covid Cup.

Although I am not that horny for ice hockey right now I wouldn't dismiss this entirely. At the end of the day NHL teams most likely are going to be competing against each other for the Stanley Cup. It may take on a different format and be played to empty buildings but the competition will be real. It doesn't take long to get the juices flowing even for Canada cups in the summer......Oly's with their tournament format.....world juniors....etc. When the steaks are high I think the players will be going hard. Its definitely not what we are are use to and once the Jets are out I might not watch but as long we are in the mix I might find myself getting sucked into it.

I would be fine if they skipped it but when it comes to hockey I can get my compete on pretty easily even if I am locked out of the building but that might just be me?

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
A few points:

1) My understanding is the the boarder isn't closed to those coming here to work, which NHL players would be, so I don't think that's actually a barrier.
2) for those saying go right to 8 teams, why wouldn't Winnipeg be "in" given that scenario? If we use the last 68 games we played we get in. If we only go to 2 decimal places on winning percentage we get in. We have the ROW tiebreaker with everyone around us, which is the official 1st tiebreaker, and they can't catch our number even if they won the difference in games. We actually won those extra games which I think that has to count for something so if you aren't going to even up the number of games played I think you have to expand the format somehow to have play in games.
3) This year is going to be weird regardless with the big break, so why not alter the format for this year's playoffs to 1) maximize revenue and 2) make it fair to all the teams in the playoff hunt.

The idea around a 24 team playoff makes more sense to me than going with only 16 teams. This isn't amateur sports, it's professional sports so you can't alienate any fanbase by making a decision that changes the rules part way through. There are a handful of teams that are clearly out but the rest had a shot at making the playoffs. Why not give them that shot as part of the playoffs?

4 pools of 6 teams. Team 1 and 2 play a best of 3 for home ice advantage in the Division final if they meet there. Team 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 to get "into" the playoffs and then have your 16 team playoff from there. Consider the play in games part of the playoffs or part of the regular season. To me it is the best idea I've heard and makes the most sense by far of any option. This is pro sports. It's not about figuring out who has the best team, it's about making money.

Just curious. Why would they get to cherry pick the Jet's last 68 games played instead of our first 68 games played (like the other teams who've played only 68)? Time is not on the side of the NHL so 16 teams makes the most sense. Sorry Jets. Sucks but the fairest way is points percentage.

And doesn't a 24-team playoff format benefit those 16 teams that get to play a wildcard round to get into the actual first round of the playoffs (rather than those on a bye)?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Although I am not that horny for ice hockey right now I wouldn't dismiss this entirely. At the end of the day NHL teams most likely are going to be competing against each other for the Stanley Cup. It may take on a different format and be played to empty buildings but the competition will be real. It doesn't take long to get the juices flowing even for Canada cups in the summer......Oly's with their tournament format.....world juniors....etc. When the steaks are high I think the players will be going hard. Its definitely not what we are are use to and once the Jets are out I might not watch but as long we are in the mix I might find myself getting sucked into it.

I would be fine if they skipped it but when it comes to hockey I can get my compete on pretty easily even if I am locked out of the building but that might just be me?

They will also likely cg fans into the stands and simulate crowd noise to make it appear more authentic as well.

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
They will also likely cg fans into the stands and simulate crowd noise to make it appear more authentic as well.
I never thought of that, your probably right because if they didn't all you would hear is players swearing at each other and refs and coaches swearing too , kids wouldn't be allowed to watch. :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just curious. Why would they get to cherry pick the Jet's last 68 games played instead of our first 68 games played (like the other teams who've played only 68)? Time is not on the side of the NHL so 16 teams makes the most sense. Sorry Jets. Sucks but the fairest way is points percentage.

And doesn't a 24-team playoff format benefit those 16 teams that get to play a wildcard round to get into the actual first round of the playoffs (rather than those on a bye)?

His suggestion was to have the other 8 teams play a series for home ice advantage so that they to have their legs under them.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
That border could remain closed a lot longer than until June 21.
The boarder will only be closed to Jimbo who wants to come fishing up in Canada....Or Peggy who wants to drive across the boarder to buy cheap American cheese.... Not to multi billion dollar corporations and their NHL player employees ... Exemptions will be granted IMO

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The boarder will only be closed to Jimbo who wants to come fishing up in Canada....Or Peggy who wants to drive across the boarder to buy cheap American cheese.... Not to multi billion dollar corporations and their NHL player employees ... Exemptions will be granted IMO
Agreed. Private Jets with occupants taking all precautions will be allowed to move back and forth. Travel is a non issue IMO. Pro sports opening up in tightly controlled environments without fans is very far down the list of risk to the wide spread of COVID.

Reactions: ps241

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Maybe I'm missing something here. I understand that border travel will likely be allowed for those who need to cross for "work" purposes. This
would include sports athletes.

The part I'm confused about is the 14 day self isolating when entering Canada. So if for example an American team travels from an U S hub city to a Canadian hub city, wouldn't they then need to isolate for 14 days before being able to play a game? Wouldn't this make back and forth cross country travel to play games impossible because of the 14 day gaps in between games ?

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Simulated crowd noise would not make a game at BMTSP seem more authentic. OK, maybe a smattering of "ref you suck". And when your CG fans do the wave, make sure they're hopelessly out of sync. :sarcasm:

Reactions: surixon

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Simulated crowd noise would not make a game at BMTSP seem more authentic. OK, maybe a smattering of "ref you suck". And when your CG fans do the wave, make sure they're hopelessly out of sync. :sarcasm:

The most authentic thing to do is to put microphones in the players benches and when a team scores, you hear the audio celebration from the scoring team's bench. Maybe also mix in the goal song for the team scoring too.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That and people could always set up socially distanced Fan party live reactions(Time delayed for editing of coarse) like we see already during the playoffs. It’s not as good but if they get creative it could also be entertaining.

Reactions: surixon

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Why wouldn't it be the last 68 games that the teams played? Some teams have only played 68 games so their first 68 and last 68 are the same but those teams had more rest during the year. The most recent 68 games played makes as much sense as anything else. The point is, it's too close to make a decision on points or points percentage alone because how you count changes the outcome.

With a 24 team format there is no bye. Teams 1 & 2 play each other to determine home ice in the "real" playoffs. So they're playing with something meaningful on the line as well, but are still in the playoffs even if they lose that series.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's possible, maybe even probable - but it isn't on the horizon at this time.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We are talking about finishing this season and the next one is still in doubt.
I’m with Sip.... this one is done.
Gear up for next season if and when that happens.
The longer the restrictions the less sense it makes to attempt to finish this one.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Maybe I'm missing something here. I understand that border travel will likely be allowed for those who need to cross for "work" purposes. This
would include sports athletes.

The part I'm confused about is the 14 day self isolating when entering Canada. So if for example an American team travels from an U S hub city to a Canadian hub city, wouldn't they then need to isolate for 14 days before being able to play a game? Wouldn't this make back and forth cross country travel to play games impossible because of the 14 day gaps in between games ?

I'm sure exemptions will be granted for that too with extra testing etc.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Posted by Reuters 2 hours 16 minutes ago
The NHL and its players union have made progress in their return-to-play talks, should the paused season be able to restart, TSN's Pierre LeBrun reported Sunday.
The two sides have moved forward this weekend in their discussions on a possible 24-team playoff, with additional talks between the league and the NHL Players' Association expected to continue over the next few days, LeBrun said.
The NHL Board of Governors is scheduled to hold a conference call at 3 p.m. on Monday.
The league also has looked into returning to play with either a traditional 16-team or 20-team tournament. The NHL halted play on March 12 because of the coronavirus pandemic with teams having between 11 and 14 games left in the regular season.
LeBrun said Thursday on TSN's "Insider Trading" that the two sides had been having trouble deciding how to bring some teams that wouldn't have qualified for the postseason into a playoff.
--Field Level Media

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad