GDT: NHL All-Star Game: Saturday, February 4: 3 PM | CBC, SN, TVAS

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
I didn't look it up but I have to assume there was also a charitable angle to the event. I only wish that it would have been more visible.

For instance, Suzuki winning a year's worth of free meals at Chipotle, is a ludicrous prize for someone who has no need for it. Couldn't they have awarded a sum to a charitable cause of his choice? Same for the all the other events, these players have no use for any of these corporate prizes.
Didn't Habs legend John Scott win a truck as the ASG MVP? But yeah I agree with you, that price was ridiculous, especially with no Chipotle here despite the CH in the name

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I didn't look it up but I have to assume there was also a charitable angle to the event. I only wish that it would have been more visible.

For instance, Suzuki winning a year's worth of free meals at Chipotle, is a ludicrous prize for someone who has no need for it. Couldn't they have awarded a sum to a charitable cause of his choice? Same for the all the other events, these players have no use for any of these corporate prizes.

I wonder if Suzuki can donate it?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder if Suzuki can donate it?
Why not. It's not that big of a prize, but it would be more meaningful than the current situation.

On the other hand, the people at Chipotle could get creative by opening their first Quebec location -- like a corporate-owned restaurant close to the Bell Center over the next year or they could seek to be added as one of the concessions offering fast food within the Bell Center. And in doing that, they could use Suzuki as their spokesperson.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They should do world vs america or smt like that. The little tournament is boring AF.

They did that before.

It is what it is. You can't manufacture game like intensity in all star games no matter the gimmick.

I know I'm not their target audience for this type of thing, but I don't know any other fans or kids that get hyped by the asg these days either.

Reactions: DavePeak

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Let's see...

Positive:
-Louuuuuuuuuuu
-It kinda made the Thachuks and Marner more likeable in a way (hey that's temporary)
-McDavid on his first attempt in the shooting accuracy challenge
-Kadri beating McDavid in the semifinals while everyone was probably looking at McDavid

Meh:
-PK is really comfortable in front of a camera... but I found him annoying to watch (someone give him a PTO!)

Negative:
-I watched on Sportsnet and the cringe was terrible, that one interviewer who just looked WAY TOO HAPPY to be there... I guess it wasn't better in French with Renaud and Michou
-Now our captain is the best golfer in the NHL
-The challenges themselves weren't that bad, even some of the non-traditional ones, but the pacing, both for the fans in attendance and those watching on TV, was horrible
-Why all this pre-recorded stuff?
-Tendy Tandems... way too long and the rules didn't make sense
-As everybody said, half-assed effort from the players
-The breakaway competition... ugh... ok mini Ovy was cute, but we have already have Caufield for that... they should go back to a regular shootout maybe with minor gimmicks for fun, not this crap

I remember when I was a child (I'm 35), I loved the skills competition, more than the ASG, it was a good showcase of the talent of the NHL legends. Even the game, with no stakes, was still a fun moment to see stars playing together. I know this is a corporate event more than anything, and that I still ended up watching it, but I didn't enjoy it. I think I'd have more fun watching the final 5 minutes of an NBA game dragging on for an hour, an ARI-CBJ game or even the Spengler cup!
I remember Owen Nolan pointing top corner and scoring there a few seconds later… those were decent all star games

This 3-3 garbage we have now… is that even hockey?

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
I never get why they don't use this opportunity to NOT play players on the same team on the same line. Why put McKinnon, Maker and the other guy on the same line? Mix it up and put McKinnon with McDavid, Ovechkin or something.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I never get why they don't use this opportunity to NOT play players on the same team on the same line. Why put McKinnon, Maker and the other guy on the same line? Mix it up and put McKinnon with McDavid, Ovechkin or something.
that's why the best format was North America vs the World

Reactions: MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Either I went blind overnight or those uniforms are fugly

Can barely see the numbers on the dark ones… my god

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
Andy and Renaud can't make one good question up and they had Louis Jean.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
that's why the best format was North America vs the World
My out the box thinking is do it when you were kids is put your sticks in the middle to decide teams that way. Now you would separate the goalie, defenseman and centers separately so everything is equal. You would have to tape over their names on their stick so you wouldn't know who they are picking. It would be something different and just a quirky idea to chose teams. Also go back to 5 on 5 and one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad