NHL 22 Discussion

bodi

May 14, 2016
First I thought the penalties was turned off but got penalized in the second game.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Gameplay is 100% better. Ai still has ice tilt and some op characteristics. skating hasn’t changed. puck physics especially with incidental contact and poke checking is 100% better. Animations for blocking passes and shots are 100000% better. You actually block and face the puck carrier

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The “graphical improvements” are greatly over exaggerated. The only thing that I can definitively say they’ve done in the graphical department is the lasting groves in the ice from your skates.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Gameplay is 100% better. Ai still has ice tilt and some op characteristics. skating hasn’t changed. puck physics especially with incidental contact and poke checking is 100% better. Animations for blocking passes and shots are 100000% better. You actually block and face the puck carrier

Since there is so many negativity around here is this post sarcasm or for real ? :)

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Since there is so many negativity around here is this post sarcasm or for real ? :)
I don’t think it’s sarcasm. Pokechecking & shot blocking are wayyy better now. I think the gameplay is pretty good, biggest improvement in many years. The thing I’m mad about is the laziness in how player creation is still identical and doesn’t allow you to customize facial features, you just choose from those same generic premade ones.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I don’t think it’s sarcasm. Pokechecking & shot blocking are wayyy better now. I think the gameplay is pretty good, biggest improvement in many years. The thing I’m mad about is the laziness in how player creation is still identical and doesn’t allow you to customize facial features, you just choose from those same generic premade ones.

Any new leagues or is that locked until full release ?

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I'm fine if they took this year to focus more on gameplay. Definitely the biggest issue this game has faced. Has felt exactly the same for so many years. Cosmetic stuff can come later. Give me a fun game to play over adjusting my guy's nose size every day of the week.

Reactions: OddyOh

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Does anyone know how to get rid of that ****ing vibration?

I turned it off in the settings but once I got into my 1st EASHL game, my controller rumbled the entire damn game.

It's a bug, they know about it. Better be fixed because vibration right now is useless (and bothers too)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I agree, puck and stick physics are much better.
Passing is more difficult and that's good.

When most of the complains are regarding visual stuff it's a good sign. Personally I think while playing the screen is too cluttered with stuff. the x factor, the player marker... too much stuff blocking vision

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
Game crashed twice for me yesterday, once it just froze while trying to join a game. I played a pick up game of EASHL and it was so laggy, not sure if that was on my end or not. Overall I haven't been too impressed, though I will say that I never play CHEL and am terrible at it. I need to get into a real game to see how it feels.

Graphics are neat in between whistles, definite improvement, but in game it isn't noticeable aside from cuts in the ice.

Holding off on my opinion until I can play more in an NHL environment.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Game crashed twice for me yesterday, once it just froze while trying to join a game. I played a pick up game of EASHL and it was so laggy, not sure if that was on my end or not. Overall I haven't been too impressed, though I will say that I never play CHEL and am terrible at it. I need to get into a real game to see how it feels.

Graphics are neat in between whistles, definite improvement, but in game it isn't noticeable aside from cuts in the ice.

Holding off on my opinion until I can play more in an NHL environment.
Regarding the graphics, are you on PS5/Xbox X or last gen?

NZ Hockey

Mar 10, 2021

When most of the complains are regarding visual stuff it's a good sign. Personally I think while playing the screen is too cluttered with stuff. the x factor, the player marker... too much stuff blocking vision
Question - since I can't participate in the beta (I made an international move in June and all my belongings are being held captive on a shipping container for months due to COVID delays)

Are you able to adjust any sliders in the beta? So, when I hear people talk about gameplay improvements, could that be because EA has actually made improvements to the physics or is it that they've adjusted the default sliders out-of-the-box to be less sensitive on things like poke/trip?

I found with '21 that I could adjust poke check power/accuracy and trip calls to find a reasonable sweet spot. Same with pass assist/pass accuracy. But with things like shot block there was no slider in '21. So did EA simply tone down their own sliders on tripping and passing? Or actually improve the way the stick/puck physics behave in game?

I also wonder when people talk about gameplay improvement... we're talking about player physics, right? Because if the beta is only CHEL then how do we know if the AI-gameplay has improved at all?

I wonder the same thing with player skating/speed. '21 out-of-the-box default was WAY too fast and slick - like an arcade game. But I could turn down sliders on speed, turn radius, acceleration and puck handling to make the game feel more paced like an NHL game. But again, one thing I couldn't do was change the AI's decision making when it came to trucking me every time I touch the puck on All-Star or how they only select shots with high chances of scoring (cross crease).

So for me I need to evaluate the game in single-player mode in order to know if the "gameplay" is any better - otherwise it could just be that all EA did was tune their default sliders a bit, and the playmaking AI could still be full of issues.

Thoughts from any beta players?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
How is teammate AI? Are players getting open? Do teammates still skate in front of shot lanes? Do they still follow their pass in the offensive zone?

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Maybe I suck at finding stuff but surprised no one has posted the beta gameplay online any where.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Question - since I can't participate in the beta (I made an international move in June and all my belongings are being held captive on a shipping container for months due to COVID delays)

Are you able to adjust any sliders in the beta? So, when I hear people talk about gameplay improvements, could that be because EA has actually made improvements to the physics or is it that they've adjusted the default sliders out-of-the-box to be less sensitive on things like poke/trip?

I found with '21 that I could adjust poke check power/accuracy and trip calls to find a reasonable sweet spot. Same with pass assist/pass accuracy. But with things like shot block there was no slider in '21. So did EA simply tone down their own sliders on tripping and passing? Or actually improve the way the stick/puck physics behave in game?

I also wonder when people talk about gameplay improvement... we're talking about player physics, right? Because if the beta is only CHEL then how do we know if the AI-gameplay has improved at all?

I wonder the same thing with player skating/speed. '21 out-of-the-box default was WAY too fast and slick - like an arcade game. But I could turn down sliders on speed, turn radius, acceleration and puck handling to make the game feel more paced like an NHL game. But again, one thing I couldn't do was change the AI's decision making when it came to trucking me every time I touch the puck on All-Star or how they only select shots with high chances of scoring (cross crease).

So for me I need to evaluate the game in single-player mode in order to know if the "gameplay" is any better - otherwise it could just be that all EA did was tune their default sliders a bit, and the playmaking AI could still be full of issues.

Thoughts from any beta players?

I've found AI to be awful in this beta.
Again, the reason why I've never come back to single play after playing 6v6 EASHL.

Yeah, all the gameplay improvement comments are regarding physics of puck/sticks, no sliders.
Speed of the game doesn't feel arcade at all, feels right to me.

Raekwon

Nov 28, 2011
I've found AI to be awful in this beta.
Again, the reason why I've never come back to single play after playing 6v6 EASHL.

Yeah, all the gameplay improvement comments are regarding physics of puck/sticks, no sliders.
Speed of the game doesn't feel arcade at all, feels right to me.
Fully agreed on game speed, definitely feels more realistic

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden

Do you think there will be an option to turn X factors indicators off when they realese the game?this feels like the old days when players had a hammer or a stick that indicated their skills and really feels odd in a modern ice hockey game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I’m on a 17 year streak buying these games, but that streak might end. can’t even play cross gen, smdh

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Do you think there will be an option to turn X factors indicators off when they realese the game?this feels like the old days when players had a hammer or a stick that indicated their skills and really feels odd in a modern ice hockey game.

The option is there already in the menus. Just doesn't work lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad