Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think a limit on how many times you can win is a good idea. Don't need anymore Edmonton situations.

And not being able to jump more than 10 spots is also a good idea. Bubble teams shouldn't be jumping to 1st overall.

I'd still like for the lotto to be for picks 1, 2, 3, but overall indifferent towards them making it 1 and 2.
I think the only years that the worst team didn't pick 4th was in 2015 and 2016(Buffalo picked 2nd and Toronto 1st) So they don't want that to be a common occurrence, which is why they want to guarantee the worst team at least the 3rd pick most years. Even if the 13th team in the lotto jumps to 3, the worst team will still pick 2nd at worst. I wonder if they're going to keep the weights the same?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think a limit on how many times you can win is a good idea. Don't need anymore Edmonton situations.

And not being able to jump more than 10 spots is also a good idea. Bubble teams shouldn't be jumping to 1st overall.

I'd still like for the lotto to be for picks 1, 2, 3, but overall indifferent towards them making it 1 and 2.

maybe they could make it something like the current rules but if a team wins back to back they have to swap their pick with the worst record out of the top 3...still remain a lottery winner but cannot draft 1st again

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Apparently this won't start until 2022 so NJ and NYR have a chance to win the lottery again. :rolleyes:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This draft has a huge cluster of guys that are just interchangeable.

Will be interesting to see how they separate themselves in a few years, because right now they're all very equal.

I wonder how teams will draft. Hypothetically if I'm a GM picking at, say 20, there's probably 15 players you could convince me to take.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The Hawks drafting at 17 last year, the only players you could have convinced me to take were Khusnutdinov, Mercer, Gunler, Perreault, Wallinder, Bordeleau, Reichel, and Heineman.

This year at 17, Kirsanov is my obvious front runner. But Sillinger, Morrow, Stankoven, Svozil, Robertsson, Lambos, Svechkov, Reynolds, Olausson, Bourgault, Rosen, McTavish, Chibrikov, Dean, Othmann, Lucius, and Pinelli could all be available and I'd listen to arguments for them all. Even Hinds, Nause, Bolduc, L'Hereux, Chayka, Coronato, Martino, or Korczack, if you could make a compelling enough argument, then I'd probably just trade down.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
What I like about this draft is that no matter where Chicago picks it'll be one higher because of that joke of a franchise in Arizona...no first rounder for them this year! What would be cool is if the league actually includes them in the draft lottery, then it wins the lottery, whether it be 1, 2 or 3 that pick is Central Scouting Selected and the player chosen is a UFA able to sign anywhere but Arizona!!!

But seriously how bad was Arizona's management department? They get caught protesting 2020 draft prospects ahead of NHL draft combines...have already traded away their 1st and 3rd from that draft so the league takes away their 2nd and next years 1st...so they finally get to pick in the 4th round, 111th overall and select Michell Miller!!! Yes, Mitchell Miller who it has been reported told every NHL team about his being a bully to a special needs highschool colleague...a player who ALL 30 OTHER NHL TEAMS passed on, our own Blackhawks chose 5 others players before him...really? So a team illegally tests players ahead of time, you would think at the very least they would be 'more knowledgeable' of prospects, and they drop the ball? What a joke franchise! Never have I been more proud of my Blackhawks then when I found out of our scouting/management team then when I saw the Hawks actually drafted a defenceman(same position as Miller) with the very next puck before...Michael Krutil...

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015

So basically the lottery goes from 15 teams down to 12. No reason for teams 13, 14, 15 to have ping pong balls. Or am I missing something? I mean, if team 15 wins the lottery do they only jump to pick 5?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
So basically the lottery goes from 15 teams down to 12. No reason for teams 13, 14, 15 to have ping pong balls. Or am I missing something? I mean, if team 15 wins the lottery do they only jump to pick 5?
That's the way I would understand it. 15th place can move to #5, 11th and 12th teams can move to pick #1 0r#2 with only two potential moves up allowing the worst team to pick no lower than the #3 spot.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
That's the way I would understand it. 15th place can move to #5, 11th and 12th teams can move to pick #1 0r#2 with only two potential moves up allowing the worst team to pick no lower than the #3 spot.
This sounds more fair to me. It means teams who just missed the playoffs aren't getting the top picks. Like honestly, I can see how the bottom teams aren't thrilled about how things worked out for the Rangers. Meanwhile Ottawa's pick hasn't been higher than fourth.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
This sounds more fair to me. It means teams who just missed the playoffs aren't getting the top picks. Like honestly, I can see how the bottom teams aren't thrilled about how things worked out for the Rangers. Meanwhile Ottawa's pick hasn't been higher than fourth.
Yeah Rangers getting Kappo and Alexis, New Jersey with Hischier and Hughes and LA with Byfield and Turcotte is a little bit much if ya ask me! That's some good luck ..
Even though Ottawa didn't get a top pick they still got Stutzle and Sanderson which is a pretty good haul for future contending!

Reactions: Brightwing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah Rangers getting Kappo and Alexis, New Jersey with Hischier and Hughes and LA with Byfield and Turcotte is a little bit much if ya ask me! That's some good luck ..
Even though Ottawa didn't get a top pick they still got Stutzle and Sanderson which is a pretty good haul for future contending!
Stutzle was picked 3rd but it was actually San Jose's pick. Without that, they would have picked fourth. Colorado also picked fourth with Ottawa's pick the prior year (Byram) and the year prior they dropped from second to fourth where they picked Tkachuk. Svechnikov went second.

Reactions: crazyhawk

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Just hashing out some numbers and I would think a lottery that only saw the bottom 10 teams take part with a percentage to win the 1OA per position as follows ... for the bottom 10 teams from worst to 10th worst : 25% 20% 15% 8% 8% 6% 6% 4% 4% 4%
This would weight the better draft positions towards the worst teams and remove bubble teams altogether.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Just hashing out some numbers and I would think a lottery that only saw the bottom 10 teams take part with a percentage to win the 1OA per position as follows ... for the bottom 10 teams from worst to 10th worst : 25% 20% 15% 8% 8% 6% 6% 4% 4% 4%
This would weight the better draft positions towards the worst teams and remove bubble teams altogether.
I wonder if you would see less teams content with being a bubble team. Like if you'd see a lot more blowing it up or going for it.

Reactions: crazyhawk

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I wonder if you would see less teams content with being a bubble team. Like if you'd see a lot more blowing it up or going for it.
I think you might. to some degree. Could add a little more drama to the end of the season.
The main thing though would be the worst teams consistently getting the higher picks.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I actually liked the way it was, as there is a metric shit ton of tanking in baseball where the draft is strictly on record with no lottery. Houston, Minnesota, Kansas City, the Cubs and the Sox have all built strong teams by blowing things to smithereens. Tanking works in baseball. I'm not sure I want that coming to the NHL.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Mock draft simulator for those that want to play with it: FC Hockey
Me when I get to the Hawks 1st round selection:

tumblr_lzm3adm6Fs1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like the lottery as it is. Teams have no real incentive to tank on purpose - going into the season with this mindset. Some are expected to be bad, but the FO of those teams will not actively tank starting the season.
I think this makes for a better product.
I have no problem having another EDM situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad