Speculation: NHL 2021 Entry Draft -- "Don't Call It A Rebuild"

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Question for you prospect-followers and hockey players in general, why is it so difficult for players to put on muscle mass and weight? Not "why" on a physiological level, i know it's hard to put on 15+lbs in muscle even if it's your job to do so, especially if you're still 17-19 years old.

There seems to be some sort of reluctance in doing it with players and I've never understood why. If you're a pro-athlete and playing against grown men in peak physical condition wouldn't it behoove you to make yourself as fast and strong as you possibly can? There are quite a few players in the league and i read it every year in prospect discussions about how "If player X can fill out his frame then..." and then 2-3 years into the league these guys are still built like JV soccer players.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Question for you prospect-followers and hockey players in general, why is it so difficult for players to put on muscle mass and weight? Not "why" on a physiological level, i know it's hard to put on 15+lbs in muscle even if it's your job to do so, especially if you're still 17-19 years old.

There seems to be some sort of reluctance in doing it with players and I've never understood why. If you're a pro-athlete and playing against grown men in peak physical condition wouldn't it behoove you to make yourself as fast and strong as you possibly can? There are quite a few players in the league and i read it every year in prospect discussions about how "If player X can fill out his frame then..." and then 2-3 years into the league these guys are still built like JV soccer players.

At their point in physical maturity, it is incredibly hard for many prospects to put on mass when they are training, practicing, and playing as much as they are. Additionally, some prospects hinder their development by immediately focusing on the addition of muscle mass post-draft without consideration for their range of movement and the dynamics of their body that had helped contribute to their prior success. Muscular physique and development typically needs to be a gradual and well planned process. The prospects that are more physically mature are typically extremely lucky with genetics, etc. to enable them to be far more developed at that age. It seems like it is becoming more and more rare.

Not a doctor by any means and not meant to sound like a loserish name-drop but I have many friends that were drafted pro with some making it and many now finding success over in Europe, but this is what their observations have been. Many of them have now gone on to be nutritionists/trainers/etc.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

In addition to what was said above(a really good post), the muscle mass has to be put on in the right places. Lower body and core is where you want most of your strength/weight to be as a hockey player. You want a strong upper body, but not at the expense of being top heavy. Also, at a certain point, the muscle mass becomes counterproductive, as range of motion and flexibility is extremely important. You don't want to be too "ripped". There's a reason most hockey players look like average guys when it comes to their upper body muscle. It's not really a focus at all. Then they have a huge ass, and big thighs.

It's also very difficult to put on weight during the season. Your nutrition is almost entirely maintenance nutrition, since you're burning so many calories. You're not working out a lot, because you don't have the energy and need all the recovery time you can get. During the off-season, you don't want to put on a bunch of weight, because it can mess with your entire game.

Genetics has a lot to do with it. There's a reason most professional hockey players have similar builds. You want wide hips and shoulders for a strong center of gravity, and the frame for a strong core. But a lean, muscular build overall. Ideally you want longer limbs, and a shorter torso. Body type is pretty damn important, unless you're just an athletic freak. Tall, narrow players are at a disadvantage, because they won't have the center of gravity that a guy who is a little shorter and stockier will have. They won't have the frame to put on as much lower body and core muscle mass, which is key for balance and strength on your skates.

There's a reason there are a bunch of clothing lines for hockey players. It's pretty difficult to find pants that fit right. Especially jeans. I didn't really have a comfortable pair of jeans until I discovered Hip Czech jeans. :laugh: I think GongShow makes jeans for hockey players now, as Hip Czech is gone(I have like 8 pairs of them I bought when they were on clearance years ago).

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
At their point in physical maturity, it is incredibly hard for many prospects to put on mass when they are training, practicing, and playing as much as they are. Additionally, some prospects hinder their development by immediately focusing on the addition of muscle mass post-draft without consideration for their range of movement and the dynamics of their body that had helped contribute to their prior success. Muscular physique and development typically needs to be a gradual and well planned process. The prospects that are more physically mature are typically extremely lucky with genetics, etc. to enable them to be far more developed at that age. It seems like it is becoming more and more rare.

Not a doctor by any means and not meant to sound like a loserish name-drop but I have many friends that were drafted pro with some making it and many now finding success over in Europe, but this is what their observations have been. Many of them have now gone on to be nutritionists/trainers/etc.

Good post..also a lot of these players when younger play many different sports (baseball, Basketball, soccer, golf, rugby etc) year round and have high metabolism so hard to keep weight on. Watch a teenager wolf down food at the dinner table and be hungry again in a couple of hours. Sports like football and baseball the players tend to be much older before hitting the pros and have had time to work with real trainers and nutritionalists and more like men than boys. Once a player is a bit older and has made a decision on which sport they are going to focus on then they can build that body towards that specific sport and the body type for that sport rather than all sports.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
i'm not sure of the comparable between BCHL and QMJHL but Jurco did produce well in the Q.

Jurco produced at a fine rate his D-1 and D seasons. Johnson produced at an excellent rate in his D-1 and D seasons. The next closest U18 player to Johnson in the BCHL last year had 51 less points. The next closest player in general had 30 less points.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
First live mock draft result. Picked up a few extra picks at the end as a few lists ran thin.

1st round, 11th overall: LW Brennan Othmann, EHC Olten (SL) [got auto-picked, would have been Wallstedt]
2nd round, 43rd overall: RD Scott Morrow, Shattuck St. Mary's Prep (HS-MN)
2nd round, 63rd overall: C Peter Reynolds, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
4th round, 104th overall: C Dmitri Katelevsky, Bars Kazan (VHL)
4th round, 107th overall: LD Ryker Evans, Regina Pats (WHL)
5th round, 159th overall: C Trevor Wong, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
6th round, 166th overall: C Dmitri Zugan, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)
6th round, 171st overall: G Semyon Vyazovoy, Tolpar Ufa (MHL)
7th round, 198th overall: LW Kalle Väisänen, TPS U20 (U20 SM-sarja)
7th round, 203rd overall: LD Jiri Tichacek, Rytiri Kladno (Czech)
7th round, 221st overall: C Arvid Eljas, Leksands IF J20 (J20 Nationell)

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
First live mock draft result. Picked up a few extra picks at the end as a few lists ran thin.

1st round, 11th overall: LW Brennan Othmann, EHC Olten (SL) [got auto-picked, would have been Wallstedt]

2 Wongs make a Wright, right?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Othmann at 11. That auto pick really screwed you haha.

Wallstedt, Morrow, and Reynolds would be such a haul. I'd throw a parade.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
We can all agree with idea of no defender at #11 ,, right?

If Hawks want a defender the the only reasonable course would be to trade back into 1st round and grab Daniil Chayka

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So with Vegas losing we get the 61st pick in the draft...

11, 43, 61(from Vegas), 104(from Vancouver), 107, 171, 203 and 215(from Florida)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
We can all agree with idea of no defender at #11 ,, right?

If Hawks want a defender the the only reasonable course would be to trade back into 1st round and grab Daniil Chayka
Chayka is not worth a 1st round pick.

If we trade back for a D-man, Kirsanov and Morrow are the only ones I'm interested in.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It will not be Othman at #21

No...either Cossa or Coronato or Chibrikov.

Caufield's performance for MTL in playoffs helping then get to Final boosts tge stock of height deprived offensive forces lije Coronato or Chibrikov.

Most would expect Stan to go USHL American shrimp ahead of Russia shorty...

But consider risk of Corobato doing all 4cHarcardxseasons= long wait till hevpkays for us plus risk he could pull a K Hayes after tge kong wait tgen just go afaer Senior year ..

So I say If we go scoring winger take Chibrikov.ETA probably 2 more years in Russia then comes over =2 years faster ETA than Coronato.

C-ossa.. C-hobrikov...C-oronato ...C-hicago...

As Rosie O'Donnell says:

"It's a sign!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad