NHL 17 Information Thread II

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it's fair to call the drop-in part of EASHL a disaster due to the forward/defense/goalie pre-set positions working so infrequently to fill out 6-on-6 games if you select forward.

What I've been doing (if I play forward) is backing out immediately if I see 6 or less people in the lobby, because it almost always works out that it's all forwards. It's worth it to keep backing out and going back in to lobbies unless there's 7 or more people in it. It's just not worth it to sit there with 3-on-3 hoping for others to join. Considering I'm doing that, I'd say that portion of the game is broken.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think it's fair to call the drop-in part of EASHL a disaster due to the forward/defense/goalie pre-set positions working so infrequently to fill out 6-on-6 games if you select forward.

What I've been doing (if I play forward) is backing out immediately if I see 6 or less people in the lobby, because it almost always works out that it's all forwards. It's worth it to keep backing out and going back in to lobbies unless there's 7 or more people in it. It's just not worth it to sit there with 3-on-3 hoping for others to join. Considering I'm doing that, I'd say that portion of the game is broken.

Drop-in is unquestionably a disaster. I think the game is at it's best 6 v 6 or at least 5 v 5 with no computer skaters. The AI skaters really don't have any sort of situational awareness at all. There can be 2 seconds left in the period and an AI dman has the puck behind his own net and he'll rip a pass up the center of the ice. Nobody would ever do that in real hockey. Or the one that annoys me the most is when a forward and a Dman are side by side on the rush and the forward does a backhand as if he's going to go across the goalie and then forehand and the goalie bites so hard. There is no chance the guy can get to the other side of the net with the Dman right there. They should be able to recognize that they need to cover the short side post and they're good, but they bite on it every single time. Another example is when you're down late in the third and you pull the goalie to tie it up. The defensive AI does not play any differently than if you were up. They back up and try to defend like normal rather than trying like hell to keep the opponent from shooting. They just let them walk right in and tap it into an empty net without resistance. The AI have absolutely no knowledge of how much time is left in a period/game or what the score is. They play exactly the same all of the time. I don't know programming, but I can't imagine it's too difficult to program that. Have some sort of ability to read the play and understand what's going on at least at a rudimentary level. I feel like that's not too much to ask.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I somewhat disagree but EA did take a step back this year. I still love OTP though.

Imo it's the worst iteration of eashl ever. It's a dream for an offensive player, with all the exploits available and being able to pick a goalie apart from the blueline. A lot of things really bug the **** out of me to be quite frank, like how standing on the goalie is a viable play style as a tendy, and playing angles correctly still results in being sniped from anywhere on the ice. Then there's the guys who figure skate in the corner and there's no damn way to separate them from the puck. Try to hit? They bounce right off and get a great chance most likely. Poke? Tripping central right there. Stick lift? Lol! Good luck.

It's not like I'm bad at the games either, I've been good defenseman since eashl debuted, but this year it's different, it feels like you're at the mercy at the attacking team and there's little you can do to stop any halfway good player at the game. It's a frustrating experience, for me at least.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Imo it's the worst iteration of eashl ever. It's a dream for an offensive player, with all the exploits available and being able to pick a goalie apart from the blueline. A lot of things really bug the **** out of me to be quite frank, like how standing on the goalie is a viable play style as a tendy, and playing angles correctly still results in being sniped from anywhere on the ice. Then there's the guys who figure skate in the corner and there's no damn way to separate them from the puck. Try to hit? They bounce right off and get a great chance most likely. Poke? Tripping central right there. Stick lift? Lol! Good luck.

It's not like I'm bad at the games either, I've been good defenseman since eashl debuted, but this year it's different, it feels like you're at the mercy at the attacking team and there's little you can do to stop any halfway good player at the game. It's a frustrating experience, for me at least.

I agree with you for the most part. If a good player decides to play as a powerforward, there is literally nothing you can do to stop them. If they go sniper or playmaker I can usually knock them off the puck with a hit, but powerforwards just have to hold the puck on their backhand and they're invincible. You can't do anything to them.

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Is there any way to slow down the injuries during simulation? i tried switching the slider to 1, and then 0, but there is still an injury almost every other game. I don't want to turn injuries off, as I still want to keep it somewhat realistic. really annoying having to stop simulation twice a week to edit lines.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I have zero issues defending in this game. Might just be my playstyle though since I almost never hit. Stick lift was completely ****ed when the game came out where it was essentially impossible to use even somewhat effectively, but they patched that. I really don't find much of a difference between this game and previous games for defending. Pokecheck and stick lift still work great for me, and it's great to have the box-out option back in front of the net. That was a massive oversight last year. There's also the added ability to interfere more with players without hitting them or taking a penalty.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Drop-in is unquestionably a disaster. I think the game is at it's best 6 v 6 or at least 5 v 5 with no computer skaters. The AI skaters really don't have any sort of situational awareness at all. There can be 2 seconds left in the period and an AI dman has the puck behind his own net and he'll rip a pass up the center of the ice. Nobody would ever do that in real hockey. Or the one that annoys me the most is when a forward and a Dman are side by side on the rush and the forward does a backhand as if he's going to go across the goalie and then forehand and the goalie bites so hard. There is no chance the guy can get to the other side of the net with the Dman right there. They should be able to recognize that they need to cover the short side post and they're good, but they bite on it every single time. Another example is when you're down late in the third and you pull the goalie to tie it up. The defensive AI does not play any differently than if you were up. They back up and try to defend like normal rather than trying like hell to keep the opponent from shooting. They just let them walk right in and tap it into an empty net without resistance. The AI have absolutely no knowledge of how much time is left in a period/game or what the score is. They play exactly the same all of the time. I don't know programming, but I can't imagine it's too difficult to program that. Have some sort of ability to read the play and understand what's going on at least at a rudimentary level. I feel like that's not too much to ask.

AI is ****ed no matter how you look at it. For me, in any game I play with all human forwards and AI D, it actually goes the opposite way you think it would, and it's a low scoring game.

My main problem is that it's impossible to fool AI D or goalies. I love going against human D because you can do things that go against expectation. If a guy is right on me in the corner, I love curling back legitimately right towards where he is, because they don't see it coming. Or you can bait players into trying to poke and then deke out of the way, or pull off one-on-one moves against them that they wouldn't expect. With AI D, the game becomes so rudimentary where you have to completely change your playstyle to being boring. Human goalies vs. AI goalies goes without saying. It's hard to be creative against an AI goalie.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well seeing how NHL 17 is now in the EA Access Vault I'll have the game. So I'll be looking for a club soon! Haven't had capable Internet to play EASHL in two years but I've played since it came out.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
My main problem is that it's impossible to fool AI D or goalies. I love going against human D because you can do things that go against expectation. If a guy is right on me in the corner, I love curling back legitimately right towards where he is, because they don't see it coming. Or you can bait players into trying to poke and then deke out of the way, or pull off one-on-one moves against them that they wouldn't expect. With AI D, the game becomes so rudimentary where you have to completely change your playstyle to being boring. Human goalies vs. AI goalies goes without saying. It's hard to be creative against an AI goalie.

I thought I would be the only one. I have a really hard time scoring, when a player let the CPU defend.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It is sometimes impossible to get by ai d.

As soon as i cross the blue line, they ****ing instant poke check me and i lose the puck.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Disappointed in this game this year. Won't buy NHL18, will skip a year like I did with FIFA in 16.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Meh I'm happy with it being on EA access, I wouldn't go buy it. But my Internet is meh. If it were better I'd be on EASHL all the time.

Pricey04

Jun 1, 2014
Ohio
I've bought NHL every year it's been out and this year I didn't until yesterday cuz I was bored... I'm gonna start up a Franchise mode but McAvoy and some other guys aren't in the game yet. Will another roster update come? or should I just start it cuz idk when they update the rosters

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

AI not adjusting to play to the score is still an issue?

I haven't played a game regularly since 12 and that was one of the most annoying things then, too. I could be down a goal in the 3rd in the playoffs with offensive aggression turned all the way up for my entire team, and I'd still only be able to have a 1 man forecheck going with my controlled player, everyone else played like it was a tie game at the start of the first

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Holy **** please add a server browser for drop in games.

So tired of jumping into games where there is like 4 seconds left with only 3 to 4 players in the lobby.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I traded for Haydn Fleury who is LOW Elite... so if he has a low chance of becoming elite, what will he end up being if its not elite?

Never really got the new projection system TBH.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Been playing this for about a month now. Started a season with two teams.

The question I have is does the computer controlled teams EVER take penalties? I've probably played a bit over 30 games and have yet to have either of my teams get a power play opportunity.

Tried adjusting the penalty settings but nothing has made a difference. Would be nice to get a power play or two once in awhile.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I am not sure I am blind or not but is there a way to view the CPU lines in Franchise Mode?

It's only in the set-up screen for individual games. When you look at your own lines, you can hit triangle (on ps4) and one of the options is to view opponent's lines.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Been playing this for about a month now. Started a season with two teams.

The question I have is does the computer controlled teams EVER take penalties? I've probably played a bit over 30 games and have yet to have either of my teams get a power play opportunity.

Tried adjusting the penalty settings but nothing has made a difference. Would be nice to get a power play or two once in awhile.

Wouldn't matter anyway. It's not like you can set up a PP it's just rush on rush. If you even tried to pass to the point it'd be picked off or pokechecked instantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad