NHL 17 Information Thread II

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The fact that someone like Tanner Glass was given an 79 last year tells you all you need to know about the ratings.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
One of my favorites is the defensemen having jacked up physical attributes. I shouldn't be able to land massive, crushing hits with Pietrangelo, yet in every game, you are able to.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Top 50 players released and 46 are 90+. That is simple too many.

Especially when Fleury is rated 90.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Having that many 90+ is fine if the top players are 99 like they are in Madden(and probably FIFA, though I don't know that for sure). In Madden a 91 overall player is a great player, but not someone you would consider one of the best players in the league. Like the NHL equivalent of Johnny Gaudreau. Awesome player, but not at the level of Crosby, Kane, Benn etc. When the top player is 95 overall, having so many players between 90 and 95 is an issue. Not every very good player should be rated as a top end player. There should be a clear distinction between Crosby and Pavelski. There should be a clear distinction between Ovi and Tarasenko. Right now they are very similar.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I still play NHL12 and haven't owned any game since.

In that game, poise is the most important multiplier, whatever it actually means inside the game. A guy can for example have 70 poise and 80 overall and then jump to 83 overall by only changing poise to 75 and keeping all other ratings the same.

If EA still uses this template, which wouldn't surprise me at all, the overalls are totally out of wack and will forever be so.

The ratings system needs a complete overall and has for about 10 years.

Yes, they still use this system. The funniest part is that in GM mode, no one's poise rating ever grows, and prospects always start off with hilariously low poise ratings.

So you always get players with 90s in every stat who are 85 rated "top 6 D" because they have 60 poise.

Having that many 90+ is fine if the top players are 99 like they are in Madden(and probably FIFA, though I don't know that for sure).

FIFA's is similar to NHL in that you have a lot of guys who are the same rating, but every single player feels different when you control them, due to height, weight, and basically every single stat in the game is noticeable during gameplay. They give out 90+ rated stats much more sparingly, and are more harsh with player's weaknesses - for example attackers have really low defensive ratings. However, their overall ratings are not affected very much by their defensive stats, since they are offensive players.
It's obviously different in NHL, where every player has to have some defensive ability, but they should really spread out the stats more.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
FIFA's is similar to NHL in that you have a lot of guys who are the same rating, but every single player feels different when you control them, due to height, weight, and basically every single stat in the game is noticeable during gameplay. They give out 90+ rated stats much more sparingly, and are more harsh with player's weaknesses - for example attackers have really low defensive ratings. It's obviously different in NHL, where every player has to have some defensive ability, but they should really spread out the stats more.

I wouldn't say there are too similar though. FIFA may have players with similar overalls, but they aren't loaded with 90+ guys. And they aren't afraid to have top players in the lower 80's if their individual attributes that they specialize in don't make them a high 80, Willian is a good example. He's typically an 83, but he's great to play with in the game.

NHL refuses to have a top player with a lower overall. Kane shouldn't have great defensive ratings, Pietrangelo should have great body checking attributes, Tavares and others shouldn't have great skating abilities. Top players can have poor ratings in certain areas. Physical/skating and mental attributes have been awful for years.

If a top player in FIFA is slow in real life, then they have a speed of 50 to reflect that. NHL would never do that. In FIFA, Kane would have a defensive rating in the range of 20-40. Messi can have ratings like that and still be a ~95 because FIFA has the proper weights on skill and no BS attributes like poise and awareness.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Having that many 90+ is fine if the top players are 99 like they are in Madden(and probably FIFA, though I don't know that for sure). In Madden a 91 overall player is a great player, but not someone you would consider one of the best players in the league. Like the NHL equivalent of Johnny Gaudreau. Awesome player, but not at the level of Crosby, Kane, Benn etc. When the top player is 95 overall, having so many players between 90 and 95 is an issue. Not every very good player should be rated as a top end player. There should be a clear distinction between Crosby and Pavelski. There should be a clear distinction between Ovi and Tarasenko. Right now they are very similar.

There are very few players in FIFA rated above 90, you can count them on your fingers. I like the FIFA ratings much better. The top two players, Ronaldo and Messi, don't go above 94 overall. The legends in the game are in the 90-94 range, the elite players are in the 85-90 range, the good players are between 85-80, the decent players are within the 70-80 range and the minor players are below 70.

You can run circles around an average defender using Ronaldo and Messi in FIFA. You can't run circles around an average defender using Crosby and Kane in NHL 17.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
2nd consecutive year I'm not buying.

It sucks, but EA isn't going to do anythign drastic if they're sitll getting sales. People need to stop buying the damn game if they want to see a change.

I'm sticking to NBA2k and MLB The Show (maybe Madden) for now until EA really steps their **** up

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

It sucks, but EA isn't going to do anythign drastic if they're sitll getting sales. People need to stop buying the damn game if they want to see a change.

I'm sticking to NBA2k and MLB The Show (maybe Madden) for now until EA really steps their **** up

I won't be buying either. There just really isn't any point, tbh. I just started playing The Show last year and started Madden up again after a long break. These games aren't just superior in pretty much every aspect, but they are just more fun to play. Hockey is my favorite sport but playing NHL is just...boring. Too many faults in the game modes I play (GM, online versus/team play).

I just don't understand why they can't figure out/accept that a player like Patty Kane is still a superstar even if his defensive abilities are subpar. There's just not enough difference among players. Tanner Glass can pretty much be as effective as Crosby. I think I saw Letang as having all skating attributes below 90 as well :facepalm: if there were one area he should have jacked up, it's his skating

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

The highest rated player in FIFA is 94

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The highest rated player in FIFA is 94

That's kind of his point though. If NHL wants a bunch of 90's then they need to follow the Madden method. If they want the best being around 95, then they need to follow the FIFA model and nerf quite a few players.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Yes, they still use this system. The funniest part is that in GM mode, no one's poise rating ever grows, and prospects always start off with hilariously low poise ratings.

So you always get players with 90s in every stat who are 85 rated "top 6 D" because they have 60 poise.

Lol, what?? So it's a bug I take it, because they should be improving in Poise right? I took the attribute to mean "experience/leadership" or similar, so you would improve the older you get. Classic EA...

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Lol, what?? So it's a bug I take it, because they should be improving in Poise right? I took the attribute to mean "experience/leadership" or similar, so you would improve the older you get. Classic EA...

It's a bug, they probably don't even know about it. I asked about it on that "ask NHL" thing but of course they didn't answer it.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldn't say there are too similar though. FIFA may have players with similar overalls, but they aren't loaded with 90+ guys. And they aren't afraid to have top players in the lower 80's if their individual attributes that they specialize in don't make them a high 80, Willian is a good example. He's typically an 83, but he's great to play with in the game.

NHL refuses to have a top player with a lower overall. Kane shouldn't have great defensive ratings, Pietrangelo should have great body checking attributes, Tavares and others shouldn't have great skating abilities. Top players can have poor ratings in certain areas. Physical/skating and mental attributes have been awful for years.

If a top player in FIFA is slow in real life, then they have a speed of 50 to reflect that. NHL would never do that. In FIFA, Kane would have a defensive rating in the range of 20-40. Messi can have ratings like that and still be a ~95 because FIFA has the proper weights on skill and no BS attributes like poise and awareness.

Right. I forgot that in FIFA "world class" players are like 83-86 basically, then the superstars are all 87+. It's a much better system. Completely agree with your post.

I also like that FIFA doesn't shy away from harsh downgrades when it's warranted. Hossa had a poor year and is on the decline but is somehow still 88 rated.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I will maybe buy it but not on release day as I have done every year. I don't like basketball but I do find 2k2's career mode to be very addicting and fun.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
2ks career mode actually has interviews and actuall cut scenes which bring life too it. Nhl just has a bunch of menus. Cant ask for trades or meet the coach/gm.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
That's kind of his point though. If NHL wants a bunch of 90's then they need to follow the Madden method. If they want the best being around 95, then they need to follow the FIFA model and nerf quite a few players.

I'd rather have players being lower rated and be better at certain aspects to show a difference between players than have a bunch rated 90+ and not seeing much difference.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd rather have players being lower rated and be better at certain aspects to show a difference between players than have a bunch rated 90+ and not seeing much difference.

As long as the difference between the 2 is significant enough. I much prefer the FIFA method because it shows a greater representation of strengths and weaknesses, but the same still applies in Madden, things are just bumped up, but the difference still exists. The difference between a 99 and 90 in Madden is the same as an 89 and 80 in FIFA. Madden just believes the truly best players in the game should be rated a 99 and FIFA believes that no player can truly be a 99, but both have the difference.

Madden believes the few best players in any year should be a 99, whether they are the GOAT or not. FIFA believes not even Maradona or Pele should be a 99. You still see the same difference between players in both games.

The problem is NHL tries to do both, and they fail horribly because of it.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I won't be buying either. There just really isn't any point, tbh. I just started playing The Show last year and started Madden up again after a long break. These games aren't just superior in pretty much every aspect, but they are just more fun to play. Hockey is my favorite sport but playing NHL is just...boring. Too many faults in the game modes I play (GM, online versus/team play).

I completely agree. I used ot love hockey games, but it's so boring. I don't know if it's different or if I'm just more aware, but skating down the ice and scoring can be almost too easy when you do the same thing everytime. That's why I like madden and nba2k, the AI seems more dynamic (Ie: They adjust to my style), which IMO makes it more realistic.

EA has A LOT of work to do and that's just in regards to gameplay.

I will maybe buy it but not on release day as I have done every year. I don't like basketball but I do find 2k2's career mode to be very addicting and fun.

Agreed.

The career mode last year kind of sucked becuase of the silly storyline in your rookie year, but after that it was fun plus they added proam and MyPark which is just extensions to make it more dynamic.

This franchise mode EA added doesn't even compare with 2k's MyGM mode either. Like the fact that you still don't have dynamic coaching hiring (and subsequent effects on player development like in 2k) is just ridiculous.

We all know EA is going to keep doing the same **** till they get challenged by another competitor. 2k kept getting better because they always had to compete with EA NBA Live (which they won).

I will ahnd it to EA, they do a good job on Madden and it got drastically better last year in comparison to 2015's game and this year seems to have improved even more. So why the hell can't they do that with NHL? It's annoying as hell

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I agree about the game being boring. 2k was way better in that regard. I still dont know what to do in 2k5 until I cross the blue line and start seeing the spaces. In NHL16 I would know which attack Ill do once I reached the red line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad