NHL 17 Franchise Mode

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Any tips for drafting? The CPU seems to be able to find top 9f/top 6d guys in rounds 6 and 7...to me it all seems like a crapshoot

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Any tips for drafting? The CPU seems to be able to find top 9f/top 6d guys in rounds 6 and 7...to me it all seems like a crapshoot

Outside the top 45 picks don't ever draft a sniper or play maker. They wont ever really get above an 80 and wont help your NHL team as you can draft grinders and two way players or any defensive player that can make it to the NHL and serve as a cheap alternatives for depth players. As far as finding gems its all about luck. The computer does it because they have 29 chances each draft each round to do it. Its not like one team always finds top 6 players in the late rounds.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I got it twice with two different teams and passed it both times. Was the maintenance of the stand low? Mine was at 100% and the prices were below recommended so fans loved that. The only reason i can think of is the stand needed to be repaired. I waited until the week before it was due to make my repairs on it. Just a thought.

Got the quest again and tried to keep my maintenance at over 80%. It still didn't work for some reason. I really don't understand how it's calculated.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
For drafting in 6-7 round look for 'high' league interest. Usually have higher potential than you have them scouted for. After that sort by potential highest to lowest, and draft mediums. Easier to get a higher potential than with the 'high' accuracy ones, that means they are closer to the listed potential.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
A poster mentioned doing this earlier.. and I've actually started doing it myself..

I am creating 30 original new teams and will replace all the teams in the NHL for a Fantasy draft franchise mode.

I have 24 of 30 teams created so far. When I am done creating them, I'll post the screenshots of all of the teams.

It's taking me forever! ha.

ThatNavyGuy

Mar 6, 2012
A poster mentioned doing this earlier.. and I've actually started doing it myself..

I am creating 30 original new teams and will replace all the teams in the NHL for a Fantasy draft franchise mode.

I have 24 of 30 teams created so far. When I am done creating them, I'll post the screenshots of all of the teams.

It's taking me forever! ha.

I did that in NHL12(I think). It took forever and I can only imagine with the wealth of options 17 offers it would take even longer

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I did that in NHL12(I think). It took forever and I can only imagine with the wealth of options 17 offers it would take even longer

I'm almost done, but it's getting to be slim pickings for logos now. The rest of the custom logo's are awful.. and I don't want to use any of the current NHL logos.. I used some of the "NHL Vintage" logos but not the current ones.

Also I'm sure some of the jerseys seem repetitive.. theres only so many templates you can use! But I guess thats the same as the NHL anyway. :laugh:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Does anyone else wish that they'd change the way player roles work back to old gen? I liked it better when 88's were pretty much the cut off for top 2 defenseman as opposed to like 92

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Am I the only one who can't seem to win no matter what I do? I literally signed the Art Ross winner from last season and he put up 50 points and I ended up with a top 10 pick.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Am I the only one who can't seem to win no matter what I do? I literally signed the Art Ross winner from last season and he put up 50 points and I ended up with a top 10 pick.

I was an agging bubble team at the trade deadline and got rid of all my pending UFA's for picks and went on to win the cup. I went on a 10 game winning streak to end the season and swept the the first round. went to 7 for every series after but simmed everything.

So winning is definitely not an issue for me but i will agree the points are way way low for whatever team i am the gm of. I don't think i have had a play go above 80 on a team I am gming.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
GM Connected??

No

i am not bummed its gone. I liked the idea more than the execution. The trades people offered were stupid. People won't play in sim only leagues and would use glitch goals like crazy. If their was a better quality of player involved i am sure it could be cool. I just never enjoyed it.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
i am not bummed its gone. I liked the idea more than the execution. The trades people offered were stupid. People won't play in sim only leagues and would use glitch goals like crazy. If their was a better quality of player involved i am sure it could be cool. I just never enjoyed it.

I never even tried it. It seems like relying on that many people just spells out disaster

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hmm. got NHL 17 with the PS4 Slim last week... not impressed with Franchise mode for development, progression and prediction/forecasting of overall personal in the draft and beyond. Probably will just be going back to Franchise on NHL Legacy...crazy that its so much older but has a superior franchise mode smh.

oh well. lesson learned ha....should of went with the Uncharted bundle.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I never even tried it. It seems like relying on that many people just spells out disaster

Meh, we had a league going over on the leafs board with a lot of active players and it went pretty smooth. You'd have a few days before each simulation to play your games against the other players. And if one person wasnt active for his games between simulations you would just play his computer for whatever games you had to play against him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They need to tone down development a little bit.

Not as bad as old gen obviously, but just slow it down a tad. I shouldn't have 77 guys becoming 2nd liners by Christmas

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Meh, we had a league going over on the leafs board with a lot of active players and it went pretty smooth. You'd have a few days before each simulation to play your games against the other players. And if one person wasnt active for his games between simulations you would just play his computer for whatever games you had to play against him.

See that's the problem. Even on the hardest difficulty i can win 10-0 without trying extra hard. They only way this mode would be fair is if it was sim only.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

I have played in both sim and play oriented GM connected leagues.

How sim ones work is that there are usually 1/3rds of people who are really hardcore, on every single day. 2/3rds of people who seem to sign in for TDL/playoffs/off season and then infrequently otherwise, and then 1/3rds of people who are basically placeholders because they barely doing anything. Mostly, it works fine but you need a really dedicated person to run the league to chase down less active people and try to find new guys to replace those who have gone MIA.

I've been in 30 person play leagues that work pretty well. Usually the leagues are extremely active from Sept until maybe June when people stop caring as much. In my experience, 9/10 players would get their games done within the first 2-3 days after an advance and then sit around waiting for the few people who were too busy or didn't care enough to arrange a time to play. Then those people would turn on their CPU at the last minute after guys wasted time trying to arrange games with them.Guys would also lose interest in playing once they realized they were out of the playoffs at the end of the season.

In my experience, it works alright. But two things that would be a huge improvement would be the ability to change the length of the regular season to something more realistic like 24 or 48 games like in past NHL modes. Also, the ability to make custom leagues with custom amounts of teams. If I have 5 other players I am tight with, we should be able to make a 6 team league without CPUs so that we can play together and not have to do 6 humans/24 CPUs. If they included the ability to "expand" by inviting a new team into the league, that'd be perfect.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
They need to tone down development a little bit.

Not as bad as old gen obviously, but just slow it down a tad. I shouldn't have 77 guys becoming 2nd liners by Christmas

I love the way that player development works in this game

See that's the problem. Even on the hardest difficulty i can win 10-0 without trying extra hard. They only way this mode would be fair is if it was sim only.

Agreed. Even if every game was player vs player you'd still have varying skill levels that could make the GM aspect not matter at all

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Another thing that needs to change is something that has gone on forever. 85+ guys should never be retiring at like 34 or 35 years old

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The problem I have with the game is it seems so random or scripted. Most games are tight and whenever the CPU needs a goal, they win every battle, the get every loose puck and their passing becomes laser focused.

I can't put my finger on it, but the games seems very hokey when playing against the CPU.

Sometimes passing works, other times it will pass to the opposite side of the ice you are aiming. Also, you will go from period to period with the game functioning differently. One period, the game is seamless. The next period, nearly every good shot misses the net, passes is an albatross and the CPU is in GOD mode. Weird, weird game. To be honest, I wish I hadn't purchased it. Here's hoping for a patch to fix, not holding breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00