NHL 17 Franchise Mode

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
One of the main things I miss from old gen GM mode was the scouting screen because you could see the players all listed from that area right in the same screen as selecting how long to scout for. It just made everything easier.
I don't think the scouting map has any significance. I would like to see them drop that and bring back something like the old screen.

I am liking the owner mode, but the rewards for meeting goals needs to be higher. I know you have to make a profit, but it is almost impossible to to all the maintenance and upgrades on the owner's budget.
I am using the Blackhawks, so my owner is willing to spend all the money and it is still hard.

If fan happiness is a requirement for a goal don't do maintenance. Upgrade everything you can and do maintenance after. There is no down side to having that **** fall apart. Also once everything is upgraded to the max you don't have to worry about that anymore and can do it just fine.

Also don't spend any more on advertising. Put it all towards that and promo nights if selling out games is a thing. Also if the owners goal is to sell out games sell the tickets at a lower price. You don't get negatives for having no profits unless its an owners goal to have them. Its kinda annoying but also kinda realistic. Not every team is going to make money hand over fist every year. If you do upgrades and **** you are 100% going to lose money that year so it is kinda like that.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Been hearing that players don't change their potential anymore? Can anyone confirm this? One of my favourite things from NHL 16 was drafting late round gems.

Not as often but still happens. I drafted a 3rd round goalie that was 62 Low starter and is now an 88 low elite 15 years in. He couldn't have come at a better time because i needed the goalie bad!

How many season Franchise mode lasts ? 20, 25, 30 ?

25 max

hijeffinition

Feb 26, 2009
NJ
If fan happiness is a requirement for a goal don't do maintenance. Upgrade everything you can and do maintenance after. There is no down side to having that **** fall apart. Also once everything is upgraded to the max you don't have to worry about that anymore and can do it just fine.

Also don't spend any more on advertising. Put it all towards that and promo nights if selling out games is a thing. Also if the owners goal is to sell out games sell the tickets at a lower price. You don't get negatives for having no profits unless its an owners goal to have them. Its kinda annoying but also kinda realistic. Not every team is going to make money hand over fist every year. If you do upgrades and **** you are 100% going to lose money that year so it is kinda like that.

Yeah, whenever you have "insufficient funds" you can always reallocate the budget and take some funds from promotions/advertising and put it into arena operations (or whatever it's called). It's annoying when you've given an owner goal at the start of the season that can only be implemented during the off-season (huh?).

Has anyone ever gotten fired as GM? I wonder what happens at that point. Can you sign with another team? It doesn't look like "GM contracts" are part of the game any more, so I'm assuming the franchise mode just ends?

hijeffinition

Feb 26, 2009
NJ
The rules i play with are

1. Can only trade players over the age of 26 if the other team WANTS them. Like has them in green. No forcing the removal of bad contracts.

2. In negations No using the 85% trick for UFA players. UFA players get the length and dollar amount they want or they get to walk. I give myself 2 chances to sign them. If i plan on keeping the player i have to just sign them as is however last year they decided some players will say your team isn't going to win and i want to win. maybe more money. So then i get a 2nd chance to offer them more money however if they turn that down then they get to walk to FA where i can try and sign them again.

3. No trading for draft picks at the draft if a team doesn't want to trade that pick.

4. No stock piling draft picks. On rebuild years no collecting more then 3 or 4 1st round picks. Its very easy to get 10 first round picks in the same year in this game. No exploiting that.

Those are the rules i play with. I also add some depending on the team. Like if i was to do Montreal this season Webber has to retire on the team. No trading him at the end of the season to avoid the stupid length of his contract. Same for the Wild. No trading to get out of Sutter or Parise.

If you just do whatever in the game then franchise/gm mode is beyond simple and stupid. I try to keep it somewhat realistic.

I like these rules. I try to adhere to these as well, except I will unload a bad contract only if I have to eat a lot of salary AND the team wants them (Toronto wants David Clarkson back? Uh, OK then, I think we can swing a deal...). I sometimes offer 90% or so to free agents, but unless I'm completely strapped I usually give them what they ask for.

I'm going to start a new Franchise after the roster update with trading difficulty on "hard". Is it that much different?

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
Made the Nordiques and then the Owner fired me at the end of the year. I never got to play them :^) rip.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Did a fantasy draft. Doughty went first overall lol. Stamkos went second which is a joke. Crosby went 6th.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I like these rules. I try to adhere to these as well, except I will unload a bad contract only if I have to eat a lot of salary AND the team wants them (Toronto wants David Clarkson back? Uh, OK then, I think we can swing a deal...). I sometimes offer 90% or so to free agents, but unless I'm completely strapped I usually give them what they ask for.

I'm going to start a new Franchise after the roster update with trading difficulty on "hard". Is it that much different?

If the team wants a player with a bad contract thats tottally different story! That's completely fine. However if no team wants the player i am stuck with them. Maybe try and put them through waivers. But no trading for like a 7th for some ****. Like last year tanner glass was white for every team. No one wanted him but if you asked for a 7th you could trade him and not retain a dime. To me that was cheap. So i only do it if the team is asking for them.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah, whenever you have "insufficient funds" you can always reallocate the budget and take some funds from promotions/advertising and put it into arena operations (or whatever it's called). It's annoying when you've given an owner goal at the start of the season that can only be implemented during the off-season (huh?).

Has anyone ever gotten fired as GM? I wonder what happens at that point. Can you sign with another team? It doesn't look like "GM contracts" are part of the game any more, so I'm assuming the franchise mode just ends?

Off season goals can be done before the draft but after you get that little pop up for the stanley cup and memorial cup winners. Those goals are rough because they don't tell you how much money you need to do the upgrade so you have to do other things and hope you save enough.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Did a fantasy draft. Doughty went first overall lol. Stamkos went second which is a joke. Crosby went 6th.

I was thinking of doing a fantasy draft but in 16 and 15 it was stupid easy. I would just draft all the players that are on ELC with high potential. Then first year i tank get a top 5 pick and in 2-3 years i have a monester team with 4-6 90 over all players.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford

Interesting. Thanks for the input! I am still trying to figure all of this out :laugh:

Ryan_Habs_16

Jul 18, 2004
Are you able to relocate several teams at once in franchise mode before the season starts? If I were to able to relocate and make the Nordiques, North Stars, and Whalers all at the same time, that would be great! Can you control mutiple teams in franchise mode or can only re-locate "your" team?

James Boss

Jan 21, 2016

If other teams are interested I always offer about .700 to 1M more than asking because it should be a bidding war on players like Oshie and Marchand when they come out first year.

I love the rules in place and I typically play to those as well. I would also add that if you are not a contender, you can not sign more than 2 top tier free agents. I.e if you want to have success in year 2, you have to pick 2 players out of Bishop, Oshie, Marchand etc,.

1 More rule I typically go by also is no trading for a franchise player unless they want to trade them, or you are willing to part with a Franchise player (Weber for Subban...even if that trade makes no sense to fans, both franchises shook hands on it)

James Boss

Jan 21, 2016
Are you able to relocate several teams at once in franchise mode before the season starts? If I were to able to relocate and make the Nordiques, North Stars, and Whalers all at the same time, that would be great! Can you control mutiple teams in franchise mode or can only re-locate "your" team?

If you sign with another team after year 3, you can relocate the second team you sign with and I believe the previous team you relocated remains in the league as well. Might try that next and do Carolina then try to sign with Arizona and move them as well.

James Boss

Jan 21, 2016
I was thinking of doing a fantasy draft but in 16 and 15 it was stupid easy. I would just draft all the players that are on ELC with high potential. Then first year i tank get a top 5 pick and in 2-3 years i have a monester team with 4-6 90 over all players.

It's probably a different game same monster kind of thing for this year. They created a system where potential was a factor but overall is still more prominent.

They should embed 4-5 different strategies of draft based on position where a team decides if they would contend or not the first year, get potential or not the first year, ride the cap or get cheaper players, net out or offensively minded and so on. Would make fantasy draft a little more characteristic and different every time. Its basically the same draft every time with 2 or 3 misplacement

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
It's probably a different game same monster kind of thing for this year. They created a system where potential was a factor but overall is still more prominent.

They should embed 4-5 different strategies of draft based on position where a team decides if they would contend or not the first year, get potential or not the first year, ride the cap or get cheaper players, net out or offensively minded and so on. Would make fantasy draft a little more characteristic and different every time. Its basically the same draft every time with 2 or 3 misplacement

I hate to keep comparing this to 2K sports but they are so much better at it. When trading with teams, teams in different spots will value different players. I have an older vet that is a 90 over all a team rebuilding has less interest in him then a team in a win now mode. as if i have a rookie with high potenial but isnt ready to play yet a team trying to win has little interest then a team rebuilding.

It just works. Its wild. They also have it if you offer them a trade they want but not at the right cost they will counter you. A lot of times with a counter offer that makes sense too.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I have found gold with the line of
R. Hartman - Debrincat - Panik

They're all listed as 3rd liners but they have been my most consistent line (2019-20 season)
I had to move them all up to the second line in the playoffs. Team wasn't good enough to win the cup, but they were great

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Yes, and you can substitute the regular NHL teams back into the league to replace whomever so you can realign the divisions accordingly. I've replaced up to three teams, but it would appear you can do many more.

This is when you are starting a franchise mode, at the select team screen, there is an option to swap teams.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just switched off owner mode

the rewards for doing things are so useless and half the teams have stupid goals to start the season like acquiring a first round pick. Like, we don't know if we are going to have a competitive season or not...

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just switched off owner mode

the rewards for doing things are so useless and half the teams have stupid goals to start the season like acquiring a first round pick. Like, we don't know if we are going to have a competitive season or not...

Why not just switch off owner goals or GM firing?

Speaking of owner goals, has anyone gotten the fan concession happiness goal? I think it's broken. My happiness was a 100 for the entire season and I still failed. This happened twice during my franchise.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
It might take a while, but what I might do is I'll make 30 teams and replace all of the teams in franchise mode, then do a fantasy draft.

I'll probably go with major European cities as well to make it a bit different.

that's actually a great idea.. but man I created 1 team yesterday.. and it took me a few hours :laugh: just the arena stuff alone.. haha

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

Speaking of owner goals, has anyone gotten the fan concession happiness goal? I think it's broken. My happiness was a 100 for the entire season and I still failed. This happened twice during my franchise.

I got it twice with two different teams and passed it both times. Was the maintenance of the stand low? Mine was at 100% and the prices were below recommended so fans loved that. The only reason i can think of is the stand needed to be repaired. I waited until the week before it was due to make my repairs on it. Just a thought.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

thats what i did

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
A+ EA.
Early round playoff exits while Keith, Hjalmarsson, Crawford are on the roster.

Toews is now down to an 86, those guys retired, I have an 81 OVR goalie. Fully expecting to tank the season.

The team sweeps 2 consecutive rounds and goes on to win the cup. hooooooooookay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad