**NHL 16 Thread** Part III

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
It's annoying but it's pretty easy to stop. Don't chase behind the net and use block pass a lot. I do however get really angry when I'm in perfect position and it still gets by my guy Backdoor. One guy had the nerve to message me after the game that my second goal was lucky, (2-1 game) after I shot a low point shot shooting for the tip when this guy was spamming back door, especially at the end

Agreed, it is easy to stop, but if you loose concentration or like you said, it goes right through your guy and they score, which tends to be atleast a couple goals a game. if they are also a spam stick lifter you may have a tough time scoring on them, so then you lose 2-1 or something like that....

I understand, playing the odds, those styles of play will work 75% of the time. I just dont understand why they bother, yes you win more, but it's boring and not real hockey. I have a .500 record all the time on NHL and I still enjoy playing every game, because i enjoy the game of hockey, the way the pro's play.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am so ****ing tired of playing drop in games where the opponent human goalie quits after letting in either 1 or two goals and then you lose because you still have a human goalie who still lets in goals and the ai computer goalie on the other team stops everything.

Add a quit penalty. If you quit, your banned for the rest of the day.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Here's a good, specific example of the poor mindset when playing randoms in online versus.

You'll see almost everyone do that thing where they enter the zone, they'll either attempt (or waste time circling hoping the AI to sets up) a cross crease one timer. Almost everyone does it. Some people have no idea how hockey is played outside of that one tactic... but hell, even I'll do it from time to time. It's a valid set up.

The one thing you'll almost never see someone attempt (unless they're playing because they actually enjoy the sport of hockey and not just desperate for more meaningless W's) is a give and go on the rush. If that first pass connects, they immediately go for the shot... every... time. Even if the shot isn't reasonably there. In which case, I can only imagine they think "they got robbed" and that I'm "getting lucky" that all of these amazing shots aren't going in.

Why is that? Because the game tends to make the easy answer the best one, and people nowadays are simpletons seeking instant gratification wherever they can find it. It panders to these people, rewarding laziness and punishing creativity. Who wants to play a game, no less invest money in a franchise on a yearly basis, like that (outside of the hopeless addicts like myself)?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Give and go would be nice if players didn't fumble the pass when it's coming from 2 ****ing feet beside them.

People do that because that's how this game is built. You can't cycle (well), you can't use real tactics like setting up for deflections since everything is blocked in front. Everyone relies on the garbage stuff because the game punishes you for doing otherwise. Half the time you can't even control the puck because getting within a couple feet of a player means you lose the puck. Realistic? maybe, but NHL players have a hell of a lot more skill than that, especially the elite players. Fun? Not a chance.

I kind of wish they would just take the engine from 13/14 and port it. It wasn't the most realistic, but it had enough of a mix between real and arcade to be a really fun time.

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
One of the main keys to cycling well is to make the pass before the puck is in the players possession. There is a split second where you can pull the trigger for a pass and the puck will be on the players' stick for less than a second.

It works like a treat when the other team has a really strong forecheck and then creating space in the offensive zone. Especially if you're playing someone online who thinks hitting is the best defense.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This game is so ****ing bad.

Was playing a drop in game. Shot a puck at the goalie and the goalie let out a nice rebound. The net was wide open and was an easy goal. I skate to the puck that was moving very slowly and i just skate over the puck without picking it up. I didn't even push up on the right thumbstick. I just glided through the puck without even picking it up.

I hate this game, but yet i keep on playing it. It is a bad addiction that i need to find a cure for. Someone help me get this piece of ****ing **** worthless garbage game out of my life.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Considering I talked to someone after an online versus match and they admitted to not really liking hockey, or the game, and only just play it because they found a cheap way to try and win... well, I think I've heard worse reasons to not play a game anymore.

TheDarkSideOfThePuck

Aug 27, 2009
Ottawa
How are you supposed to find a club in EASHL? In the old games you could chat with some players in the OTP lobbies and easily find a club. Now if you none of your friends plays the game you're screwed

blueliner18

Oct 18, 2013
NE Ice rinks
I played organized competitive hockey for 22 years of my life. Now I'm a beer leaguer, and avid hockey fan. EA is my only choice when it comes to video game hockey. I feel they have constantly let me and all video game fans down with their effort (or lack of) the past several years. I find it absolutely inexcusable as to why they cannot offer us a better product. MLBTS series as well as the NBA2K series outperforms EA's NHL franchise in just about every way imaginable. The problem I'm a hockey fan looking for a good video game experience EA's game is inept no matter how you look at it. It is not a fun arcade style of hockey, and the AI and gameplay are so atrocious that it is a horrible SIM as well. So that leaves me with nothing to do but whine, cry, and complain which will amount to nothing but my own misery. Unless EA devotes a team equal to the likes of the dev team that works on FIFA or Madden to this game, I'm never purchasing an EA NHL game again. EA is a joke and they have been playing all of us hardcore hockey fans for fools for far too long, well no longer, not this fan at least.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Eashl... Me and my buddies had a team in div.1. Played 100+ games. Didnt log into Eashl for a few months and now EA has deleted the team?
****ing awful piece of ****

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Had a question:

the game is updated but none of the teams who have new third jerseys this year (like ducks, islanders ect) is not showing in my game. Is there something I have to do to get it correctly updated?

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I just got 16 yesterday, is it just me or is it wayyyyyy harder to successfully deke the defensemen in this game than in previous titles? I probably have a 10% success rate in trying to walk through defenders in this game, even with great stickhandling players. Even if I do dangle a guy the puck usually slides off of my stick and into the corner. Frustrating.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
This is an NHL 15 (PS3) question. Does anyone know how to reliably get the cpu defense to use their sticks on defense (poke-check/stick-lift)? I can up aggressiveness, however that doesn't always work and will sometimes cause them to use the body far too often.

Any tips/sliders would be greatly appreciated.

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Does anyone know a way to put underage players like Laine or Puljujarvi onto their respective NHL teams? I know in the previous gen you could put them on a created team and then move them to an NHL team, but that's obviously not an option now. I can create a identical version through create-a-player and move them but it doesn't feel the same lol. Thanks.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'd like to start a new GM mode with updated rosters and prospect pipelines following the '16 draft and free agency. Is there a way to manually draft players to a team (just key first rounders, really), and if so, how?

Also -- and I'm almost certain this isn't possible -- can you edit default player contracts in this game? (I'd like to give recent free agent signees their real contracts.)

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd like to start a new GM mode with updated rosters and prospect pipelines following the '16 draft and free agency. Is there a way to manually draft players to a team (just key first rounders, really), and if so, how?

Also -- and I'm almost certain this isn't possible -- can you edit default player contracts in this game? (I'd like to give recent free agent signees their real contracts.)

Unfortunately, the first one is a no.

The second, just go to general info on player edit and their contract info is there.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Haven't had a nhl game for a couple years but pre-ordered 17. How is 16 for someone who just plays season mode. Thinking about canceling the pre-order now that I can get this past one for $10 and wait for 18 when LV is here.

PensFan12

Apr 12, 2016
I am so ****ing tired of playing drop in games where the opponent human goalie quits after letting in either 1 or two goals and then you lose because you still have a human goalie who still lets in goals and the ai computer goalie on the other team stops everything.

Add a quit penalty. If you quit, your banned for the rest of the day.

I remember reading something about the punishment for a goalie quitting, I forget exactly what they were but I remember feeling somewhat satisfied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad