NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Cool.

I played the last two nights with a spectral thrower using my Marauder's gear and it was by far the easiest to get to Act 3.

Do currency items drop more the higher up you get? I do not see how people have so many of the rarer currency items to make their own gear if they don't drop more. I have logged about 65 or so hours now and have not gotten 1 Exalt, maybe 5 Chaos, 7 or 8 Alchemy, etc.

Remember to check EVERY box/pot/crate, I've found 3 or 4 chaos orbs from boxes/various containers alone.

My level 40 hunter also died yesterday. I had finally found some good gear, a nice bow and a new hood. Oh well.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Remember to check EVERY box/pot/crate, I've found 3 or 4 chaos orbs from boxes/various containers alone.

My level 40 hunter also died yesterday. I had finally found some good gear, a nice bow and a new hood. Oh well.

Yea, I have been doing that. Still not having any luck. Should I just get some +%quantity and rarity gear and go farm previous zones?

Also, and I apologize for all the questions, but what do you keep in your stash? I have a hoarding tendency since I am new...try to keep any rares that either have good sockets/links or good prefixes/suffixes...but I am running out of room and I have already purchased extra slots.

In other words, is it cheaper to roll prefixes/suffixes or to roll number of sockets, then colors, then links? My gut is the former but I have not tried to create any gear...

Thanks!

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yea, I have been doing that. Still not having any luck. Should I just get some +%quantity and rarity gear and go farm previous zones?

Also, and I apologize for all the questions, but what do you keep in your stash? I have a hoarding tendency since I am new...try to keep any rares that either have good sockets/links or good prefixes/suffixes...but I am running out of room and I have already purchased extra slots.

In other words, is it cheaper to roll prefixes/suffixes or to roll number of sockets, then colors, then links? My gut is the former but I have not tried to create any gear...

Thanks!

I don't farm using rarity gear, but it's not a bad plan. My friend uses it and he gets some good loot occasionally.

As for the stash, I tend to save standard gear with 4+ slots (especially if linked) and good rare items. Everything else is just vendor trash.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I don't farm using rarity gear, but it's not a bad plan. My friend uses it and he gets some good loot occasionally.

As for the stash, I tend to save standard gear with 4+ slots (especially if linked) and good rare items. Everything else is just vendor trash.

Ok, thanks!

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Yeah, NHL 14 Be a GM blows hard.

The new potential star system is archaic and not explained at all. I tried to look it up online and it's just a bunch of people whining because they don't know either. So that's nice.

Brodin started the season for me at 78 and I decided to play him in the AHL after I signed the Anton. I figured it would be better for his development. Iowa wins the Calder Cup, Brodin puts up 50 points in the AHL and 20 in the playoffs and coming into the next season his overall dropped to 76. What the ****.

The trade block is hard to read. The menus take up like 1/4th of the screen while the other 3/4 is just...nothing. Drafting is a crap shoot. The players come out of the draft at 55 overall and don't improve at all after a season and a half. I've pretty much already given up on it, which is a shame because it is the only mode I actually put tons of time into.

Maybe this is the year I actually put effort into Be a Pro. :dunno:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Its been a while since I watched a SC2 game. I always prefer to download the demo file and watch at my own pace.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
NHL 14 is a freaking joke when it comes to penalties. I thought I just wasn't used to it yet last night but its totally ****ing ridiculous! I am getting 6-7 penalties every single games for simple poke checks and stick lifts. The ****img comouter can totally be counted on for putting me man down at least once or twice a game too so thats an awesome ****ing bonus.

I don't understand how EA expects someone to play defense. If I try to lay the body they do that new deke **** and jump around me and boom goal. If I poke, penalty. If I lift, penalty! I dont understand how you are supposed to defend in this game.

And the Wilds depth is so underrated on the game. Nobody outside the top line is above ****ing 80 overall. I had to trade for Kris ****ing Versteeg and Sven Baertschi just to get decent depth that can actually put up points.

In what ****ing world is Nino ****ing Niederreiter worse than Zenon ****ing Konopka? Why the **** is Nino 6-****ing-7 OVERALL?!? It doesn't even make sense!

And Brodin is regressing for me with each passing month! He's ****ing 73 Overall!

And the music ****ing blows. This ****ing game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
NHL 14 is a freaking joke when it comes to penalties. I thought I just wasn't used to it yet last night but its totally ****ing ridiculous! I am getting 6-7 penalties every single games for simple poke checks and stick lifts. The ****img comouter can totally be counted on for putting me man down at least once or twice a game too so thats an awesome ****ing bonus.

I don't understand how EA expects someone to play defense. If I try to lay the body they do that new deke **** and jump around me and boom goal. If I poke, penalty. If I lift, penalty! I dont understand how you are supposed to defend in this game.

And the Wilds depth is so underrated on the game. Nobody outside the top line is above ****ing 80 overall. I had to trade for Kris ****ing Versteeg and Sven Baertschi just to get decent depth that can actually put up points.

In what ****ing world is Nino ****ing Niederreiter worse than Zenon ****ing Konopka? Why the **** is Nino 6-****ing-7 OVERALL?!? It doesn't even make sense!

And Brodin is regressing for me with each passing month! He's ****ing 73 Overall!

8/10 Avder Stamp of Rant Approval is awarded.

It sounds like a lot of "the computer is a cheating *******" and "no ****ing way game". Looks those up on TV tropes. And I'm sorry in advance for killing at least 8 hours of your day.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Heatley was an 85 to start the season. They dropped him five points since then.... So not everyone is below an 80! Btw Heater is still pretty good in the game. Which is reason enough for the Wild to keep him around this season.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

I had to manually edit Nino to 75 so I can play him with Granlund and Pominville.

A couple of protips for Be A GM, if you're the Wild:

- Trade Heatley in the 1st season. He has good value and some teams are even in market for him.

- Trade Bäckström. His glove hand WILL be exploited.

- Choose two leagues and scout them for 12 weeks in F and D and 6 weeks in G. I usually scout in OHL and WHL, but it really depends on the prospects. If I want to pick a D-man in the 2nd round, I choose the league with most D-men projected to go in the 2nd round and scout that.

- Brodin's development will take a long time, but he works well with Suter in the 1st pairing. Yes, I would like to have L - R pairings too, but he works there.

- Spurgeon will be around 84-85 overall. Keep him.

- Have AT LEAST 7 million of spending money for the free agency. I usually try and acquire at least one elite player each year. I built a team out of free agents, replaced the Panthers with that team and got Henrik Sedin in the 1st summer. Traded him and some scrubs in the deadline for Matt Duchene to avoid the "sign-and-trade penalty" that happens if I would've done it earlier.

- Acquire Matt Duchene. He is great on the faceoffs, incredibly fast, has smooth hands and hits surprisingly hard. He WILL put up a lot of points for you.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
This is the team I currently have, as of April 2017:

Quebec City Cougars

Hall (88) - Duchene (89) - Coyle (83)
Barkov (81) - Granlund (81) - Williams (85)
Korpikoski (82) - Ott (83) - Weise (78)
Petrell (77) - Chipchura (77) - K. Velleux (77)

Ekman-Larsson (85) - Seabrook (89)
Greene (83) - McBain (85)
Hainsey (83) - Vatanen (82)

Zarowny (86)
Bernier (84)

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Speaking of Niño being underrated, in this week's hot streak update he's a friggin' +11. Looks like EA knows they screwed that one up :laugh:.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
This is the team I currently have, as of April 2017:

Quebec City Cougars

Hall (88) - Duchene (89) - Coyle (83)
Barkov (81) - Granlund (81) - Williams (85)
Korpikoski (82) - Ott (83) - Weise (78)
Petrell (77) - Chipchura (77) - K. Velleux (77)

Ekman-Larsson (85) - Seabrook (89)
Greene (83) - McBain (85)
Hainsey (83) - Vatanen (82)

Zarowny (86)
Bernier (84)

I'm in 2014/2015 and my lines are:

Parise(89) - Koivu (86) - Versteeg (83)
Baertschi (83) - Granlund (79) - Pominville (86)
Zucker (79) - Talbot (81) - Coyle (80)
Sobotka (79) - Brodziak (79) - Cooke (78)

Suter(92) - Ballard (81)
Regehr (84) - Blum (82)
Anton (81) - Scandella (79)/Stoner(79)

Markstrom (82)
Allen (79)

Parise is PPG right now and I have like 6 players at 15 points or more, 20 games in. Doing decent now.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Finally played NHL online. The first game was a damn slideshow. I had to press RT about six to seven times just to get a pass off and when I did it was way off. I had something like 16 icings. That's awesome. He beat me 2-1.

Second game was against the Blackhawks so I wasn't expecting much. Probably a bandwagon fan just choosing a good team because they're good. The guy was such a gimmick player. Rolling through the neutral zone doing dekes with nobody on him, poking my puck every single time I came anywhere near, diving at every opportunity. Ugh. I had nine power plays but could only score on three of them.

Oh, and the guy was on a 5v3 penalty kill and took another penalty. So instead of me getting a 5v3 for another full two minutes, I just finished the penalties I already had and nothing extra. So there is not incentive NOT to take a penalty while defending 5v3? That can't be true, can it?

Lost that game 6-4 with a bunch of stupid gimmick spinning in circles in the faceoff circle, wrap around, or back door shots. Ugh. The guy couldn't set up a play to save his life. Embarrassing that I lost to him.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Second game was against the Blackhawks so I wasn't expecting much. Probably a bandwagon fan just choosing a good team because they're good. The guy was such a gimmick player. Rolling through the neutral zone doing dekes with nobody on him, poking my puck every single time I came anywhere near, diving at every opportunity. Ugh. I had nine power plays but could only score on three of them.

Well to be honest, the bolded way is the only way you can play defense in this game. Just poke poke poke all the way, since if you try to hit you'll be way out of position and most of the time the other person just dekes around you or doesn't fall. Defense is all about distance control, positioning and stick work in this game.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Well to be honest, the bolded way is the only way you can play defense in this game. Just poke poke poke all the way, since if you try to hit you'll be way out of position and most of the time the other person just dekes around you or doesn't fall. Defense is all about distance control, positioning and stick work in this game.

I understand strategically poking at the best opportunities, which I try to do, but he was just spamming RB every time I got the puck. It didn't matter how far away I was or whether he even had the right guy. Just silly.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I've got a 360 and want a new FPS to play drunkenly on weekends.

What should I get? Ghosts? BF4? Other?

I would say either BF4 or Halo 4. Halo has a built in map creator/modifier and fans are building maps every day. Lots and lots of user-created maps are in the playlists so it's rare that you get tired of the maps. It's a pretty competitive game but you can play any role and can take it as seriously or lightly as you want.

If I play Battlefield drunk I do bad and get mad. If I play Halo drunk I do bad but still have a ton of fun. So for me Halo wins that out.

Plus it's a super fun game and I'm on all the time so you can play with me :sarcasm:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Also, I've been playing with HUT quite a bit for the first time since it's been introduced. Really, really fun mode. I have a bunch of NHLers on my practice/training squad that's continuing to get me pucks, but my main team is:

Steen - Fisher - Wheeler
____ - Ennis - Oshie
____ - Couturier - Hemsky
Sobotka - Peverley - Hansen or Brouwer

Stuart - Robidas
MacDonald - Grossman
Mitchell - Martinez

Bishop

I've had a few accidental setbacks. I found Oshie for cheap online so I bought him instantly, but then afterward found out that he had been modified to be a Capitals player. And after I bought Robidas in auction I accidentally switched Grossman to the New York Islanders. I'm still looking for LWs for the 2nd and 3rd line. Ennis/Couts/Pevs are all 82 overall so I'm looking for anyone that could play with them or with Oshie/Hemsky. Almost got Benn for super cheap but got last minute swiped. Lame.

SwimToTheMoon

Wild fan in WPG
Sep 5, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah can't wait for NHL 15....I'm guessing they may actually put some effort into it since it'll be next gen.

One of my biggest complaints with Be a GM is the lack of an IR.

Pominville and Cooke both got hurt long term and it took me forever to find the right combination of players so i could stay under the cap. It even involved putting Blum on waivers and having another team claim him. If there was an IR, I could've freed up Cooke and Pommer's cap hits.

Stupid EA....

And live the life isn't anything exciting either. My team only scores when I'm on the ice/involved. While it's simming, my team never scores. It's getting old already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad