NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Basicly CoD:MW2 = CoD:MW3 = CoD Ghost same can be said of BF3 and BF4. Treyarch games have evolved a little from CoD:WaW to BO2 but no "big" changes were implemented. Considering BF2 to BF3 the jump was huge but there was a lot of BF spinoff games in that timeframe.

Billy Mays Here*

PSN down for maintenance today for 7 hours until about 7 p.m.

Oh well, I've got a paper due Friday and since it's x2 exp weekend starting tomorrow morning, it would be perfect to get this paper done before I go to work and then not have to worry about it tonight or especially tomorrow.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
If I get a next-gen console, I am leaning more and more to the Xbox One. Not sure though.

I probably won't be getting one this year anyway, possibly on Black Friday if there are any deals for consoles.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Well, it's one of the starting gems for Scions, so not very rare. Of course, you have to complete the game first before unlocking Scion.

I guess you could get one from the trade market at a reasonable price.

Hmmm, I kind of want to make one (did complete the game with a Marauder). But, with how popular they are right now, you think the Spectral Throw will be nerfed?

Really like my Ranger but just completed Act 1 and I have 0 equipment to move forward with. Cannot seem to find/make a decent DPS/speed bow.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
If I get a next-gen console, I am leaning more and more to the Xbox One. Not sure though.

I probably won't be getting one this year anyway, possibly on Black Friday if there are any deals for consoles.

Most factors for me lean toward the PS4, but I'm somewhat irrational in my love of Halo so I absolutely cannot see me not getting an X1. And since I know I will get an X1 I might as well get it first. Even so, I'm waiting until TitanFall comes out. By choice and necessity(money :laugh: ). But hopefully there is some type of bundle for a ~cheap price. That would be awesome. For me, Microsoft might not have that many exlusives but a lot of them are awesome. Halo and Forza are at the top of their respective classes. TitanFall looks amazing. Sunset Overdrive looks intriguing. Dead Rising 3 is pretty bossy. Black Tusk apparently has a great game in the works. All signs are pointing to a pretty good run of games this generation, and I love the platform itself.

A big thing for me too is that most of the PS4 exclusives just don't interest me much. Like Resistance looks like a clunky mess. Killzone looks like an uninspired cross between Call of Duty and Halo not as good as either. I played the first one and while I realize that the series has evolved a ton since then, from an outside perspective not actually playing the games it just doesn't look fun. Uncharted looks fun but I've never been a huge platformer guy. I'm more than willing to try it, but it's not a system seller. Same with The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, and Infamous. None of them are system sellers. The PS4 looks cool, has a good price(especially compared to the X1), and probably has better value when it comes to +/Live. But the games just aren't there for me :dunno:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Hmmm, I kind of want to make one (did complete the game with a Marauder). But, with how popular they are right now, you think the Spectral Throw will be nerfed?

Really like my Ranger but just completed Act 1 and I have 0 equipment to move forward with. Cannot seem to find/make a decent DPS/speed bow.

You know what? Add me and Sharppi as friends. I have a couple of good leveling bows.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Most factors for me lean toward the PS4, but I'm somewhat irrational in my love of Halo so I absolutely cannot see me not getting an X1. And since I know I will get an X1 I might as well get it first. Even so, I'm waiting until TitanFall comes out. By choice and necessity(money :laugh: ). But hopefully there is some type of bundle for a ~cheap price. That would be awesome. For me, Microsoft might not have that many exlusives but a lot of them are awesome. Halo and Forza are at the top of their respective classes. TitanFall looks amazing. Sunset Overdrive looks intriguing. Dead Rising 3 is pretty bossy. Black Tusk apparently has a great game in the works. All signs are pointing to a pretty good run of games this generation, and I love the platform itself.

A big thing for me too is that most of the PS4 exclusives just don't interest me much. Like Resistance looks like a clunky mess. Killzone looks like an uninspired cross between Call of Duty and Halo not as good as either. I played the first one and while I realize that the series has evolved a ton since then, from an outside perspective not actually playing the games it just doesn't look fun. Uncharted looks fun but I've never been a huge platformer guy. I'm more than willing to try it, but it's not a system seller. Same with The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, and Infamous. None of them are system sellers. The PS4 looks cool, has a good price(especially compared to the X1), and probably has better value when it comes to +/Live. But the games just aren't there for me :dunno:

Same. Many things interest me more on the Xbox One. Xbox Live, Controller, Games. I think Xbox Live is far superior to PSN. We seem to be really similar when it comes to Halo, I absolutely love those games. Every single one of them.

I am really excited for Destiny. Created by Bungie, and it seems really interesting. Also for the next Halo of course. I have to stress this again - XBOX LIVE. I don't know if it's just me, I just love the service overall. Also have to keep in mind both PSN and Live will now cost money. I think that puts Live ahead of PSN seeing as how polished it really is and how many people already use it. I know PSN will be improved, but I still don't think it will be as good as Live.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Same. Many things interest me more on the Xbox One. Xbox Live, Controller, Games. I think Xbox Live is far superior to PSN. We seem to be really similar when it comes to Halo, I absolutely love those games. Every single one of them.

I am really excited for Destiny. Created by Bungie, and it seems really interesting. Also for the next Halo of course. I have to stress this again - XBOX LIVE. I don't know if it's just me, I just love the service overall. Also have to keep in mind both PSN and Live will now cost money. I think that puts Live ahead of PSN seeing as how polished it really is and how many people already use it. I know PSN will be improved, but I still don't think it will be as good as Live.

Literally the only thing PSN has over XBL, in my mind, is the free games. That is a huge benefit to PSN+, but otherwise the unification of features in XBL is a major thing for me. Cross game invites, cross game chat, downloading in the background and while the console is off, accessibility, security, reliability, everything else. Outside of the famous MW2 3 week debacle, XBL has chugged along for years without issue. They go down for maintenance every once in a while, sure, but every system has that.

I have no issue with it, at least, and see no real reason to switch. Destiny is available on plenty of platforms and while I love what Bungie did with Halo, they certainly did not impress me with Halo Reach and Destiny looks good but not great. I'll pick it up the day it comes out but it's not a huge deal for me.

The controller is also massive for me in the Xbox camp. I can't stand the Playstation controllers going way back to PS1. While it looks improved for the PS4(by a lot), I still can't see it being better than the X1 controllers.

A lot of this comes down to personal opinion but it's all true for me. I'm more interested in the PS4 now than I ever was for the PS3 and I can't see myself not picking it up eventually, but for now it's X1 above PS4 and it's really not that close.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Both systems have their pros and cons, I always tell someone to buy which one they think the games better their style of play ... and what your friends own. Its fun playing against your friends.

I am an xbox guy but I really wish MLB the show wasn't an exclusive. IMO the only reason why anyone would consider PS3 over xbox for games.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Literally the only thing PSN has over XBL, in my mind, is the free games. That is a huge benefit to PSN+, but otherwise the unification of features in XBL is a major thing for me. Cross game invites, cross game chat, downloading in the background and while the console is off, accessibility, security, reliability, everything else. Outside of the famous MW2 3 week debacle, XBL has chugged along for years without issue. They go down for maintenance every once in a while, sure, but every system has that.

I have no issue with it, at least, and see no real reason to switch. Destiny is available on plenty of platforms and while I love what Bungie did with Halo, they certainly did not impress me with Halo Reach and Destiny looks good but not great. I'll pick it up the day it comes out but it's not a huge deal for me.

The controller is also massive for me in the Xbox camp. I can't stand the Playstation controllers going way back to PS1. While it looks improved for the PS4(by a lot), I still can't see it being better than the X1 controllers.

A lot of this comes down to personal opinion but it's all true for me. I'm more interested in the PS4 now than I ever was for the PS3 and I can't see myself not picking it up eventually, but for now it's X1 above PS4 and it's really not that close.

Agreed. Also, Xbox is getting free games now :D. Pretty awesome, I believe Halo 3 was the last free game they did. It was for most of last month. Gotta love competition.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Agreed. Also, Xbox is getting free games now :D. Pretty awesome, I believe Halo 3 was the last free game they did. It was for most of last month. Gotta love competition.

Yup, free game a month. Just a bummer they turned their servers off once Reach came out. Halo 3 is easily the best Halo multiplier!!!

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Yup, free game a month. Just a bummer they turned their servers off once Reach came out. Halo 3 is easily the best Halo multiplier!!!

Halo 3 multiplayer is still going strong? The Halo 2 servers were shut down at some point during Reach's reign, but Halo 3 is definitely still playable. I actually just had a custom games night with some buddies a few weeks ago. We played Halo 3 infection, CTF, Slayer online for quite a while. Fun stuff.

Also, Prop Hunt is my new favorite Halo 4 game mode. I played it with some friends the other night and it was a blast. It's a modded Infection gametype, where one person is the zombie. Everyone else is either invisible, a rock, or a pillar. The point of the game is for everyone not infected to hide and do their best to blend in with their surroundings. Then, the infected person goes around and tries to find them. The best hide and go seek gametype I have ever seen. Here is a somewhat crappy video, but you'll get the idea. So darn fun.

So the other night we had cross-team chat on, so I could hear them talking and they could hear me. The best part the other night was when I was infected and I start walking up this ramp. I look left, look right, and then straight ahead I see a gigantic boulder just resting atop a pillar. As soon as I see it, I say out loud "What the ****?" and the rock guy just jumps up(a rock straight into the air), and then sprints off the ledge and away. I didn't even try chasing him. I was laughing way too hard. It was so absurd I could not believe it. So good.

Pinchy11

Nov 2, 2011
Found this, it's a pretty good deal for a few pc games. Games are through steam. Pay whatever you want(money is for a charity) and get Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. 3 Lord of the Rings: war in the north. If you pay more than the average($4.65 at this time) you also get Batman Arkham city GOTY, and Scribblenauts unlimited.

Pay what you want charity bundle

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Found this, it's a pretty good deal for a few pc games. Games are through steam. Pay whatever you want(money is for a charity) and get Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, F.E.A.R. 2, F.E.A.R. 3 Lord of the Rings: war in the north. If you pay more than the average($4.65 at this time) you also get Batman Arkham city GOTY, and Scribblenauts unlimited.

Pay what you want charity bundle

Dang that's a great deal. Humblebumble really does have some great deals sometimes. I already have Arkham City on Xbox and FEAR 2 on Steam. And my computer blows so I can't really play it very well. Hope others enjoy it though.

Oh, and HDZ, I'm going to get NHL 14 today after work so we can play that tonight/tomorrow if you want. Accepted your friend request on XBL.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I'm going to wait to see what I want out of the next gen consoles. If I had known I would have gotten the red ring of death an eye popping 6 times, I definitely would have gone with the PS3. I'm going to wait it out and see how everything flows.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I'm going to wait to see what I want out of the next gen consoles. If I had known I would have gotten the red ring of death an eye popping 6 times, I definitely would have gone with the PS3. I'm going to wait it out and see how everything flows.

Jeez six times? I would have given up before that.

I had it twice but really only count it as once. I got the 3RLOD once, sent my Xbox in, got it back, and the first time I turned it on it had 3RLOD. So I sent it back in, they gave me an additional one month of XBL along with the two months I got for the separate Xbox's sent in. Since then I haven't had any problems.

I'm not really worried about the X1 heat wise thanks to how they've expanded the size and put in such a big fan, but there were some rumors about the PS4 overheating(that were quickly squashed) that give me doubts. Either way, I'm happy with my choice of waiting a while to buy one just in case.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I didn't get the 360 until 2009 and the PS3 until 2011 :laugh:

Games I still have to play/finish on PS3:

- Skyrim
- Read Dead Revolver
- Infamous 2
- Ico
- Shadow of Colossus
- FF 7,8,9
- Dead Island
- Probably a lot more
- Uncharted 1,2,3

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Jeez six times? I would have given up before that.

I had it twice but really only count it as once. I got the 3RLOD once, sent my Xbox in, got it back, and the first time I turned it on it had 3RLOD. So I sent it back in, they gave me an additional one month of XBL along with the two months I got for the separate Xbox's sent in. Since then I haven't had any problems.

I'm not really worried about the X1 heat wise thanks to how they've expanded the size and put in such a big fan, but there were some rumors about the PS4 overheating(that were quickly squashed) that give me doubts. Either way, I'm happy with my choice of waiting a while to buy one just in case.

Even 2 is far too many times. However, I am happy to say that I've only ever had to pay for 1 year of XBL out of the however many years its been out. Since I don't have much time to game anyways, I'm happy waiting. Plus, I don't know if I can get used to that PS4 controller.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I didn't get the 360 until 2009 and the PS3 until 2011 :laugh:

Games I still have to play/finish on PS3:

- Skyrim
- Read Dead Revolver
- Infamous 2
- Ico
- Shadow of Colossus
- FF 7,8,9
- Dead Island
- Probably a lot more
- Uncharted 1,2,3

Red Dead Revolver or Red Dead Redemption? From what I'm remembering, Rovolver wasn't that great. Redemption on the other hand, is still my game of the generation.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
What classes do you guys play?

I am still just getting used to it...have a marauder who just finished first difficulty, a templar, and have been playing a ranger last two evenings. Ranger is pretty easy thus far since it is fast character and can cover so much area. But, I assume they become glass cannons later on.

Also, is it even worth farming items for alts? Been trying to do that but do not get much currency or rare/unique items.

I've got a ~60 marauder and ~40 scion on the softcore ladder. Still have my 51 marauder hardcore from the beta as well. Was used to the ground slam/heavy strike build from beta so that's why I stuck with marauder, very effective build with mediocre gear. Started building a spectral thrower and yeah it does seem overpowered and potentially nerfed in future patches, then again I've used most of my mara's hand-me-downs along with some uniques so gears been strong for the areas as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about farming items for other classes aside from weapons for the early levels, as links are more important than actual stats in many cases, and its not worth rolling for the right socket combo on lower level gear. In softcore at least, because it doesn't matter if you die.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Played NHL 14 for a while last night. Started a GM mode with the salary cap off and at the draft with current rosters. Right off the bat Washington offered me a 2013 1st and 2014 1st for Backstrom + 2nd. Heck yes. Got into the first round in that draft and took a defender. Then I traded Heatley for St Louis' Allen + Sobotka. Sobotka is a fantastic 3rd liner in this game, plus Allen has potential so good trade.

Signed the Anton + Maxime Talbot to strengthen my fourth line. Penalties are super super dumb in this game. I can't even stick lift without getting a penalty, and every time I hit someone they fall to the ice and I can't get around them to grab the puck, so then they end up having the puck again. Super frustrating.

Ended up getting pissed off when I was leading Winnipeg in shots 13-3 but they had three goals and I had none. Quit that game and ended up simming for most of the season. I'm at a 24-25-2 record and my leading scorer has 30 points. Embarrassing. Especially since I played the first ~5 games of the season and the leading scorer at that point was Granlund + Spurgeon tied at 10 points each.

Fun game, though. The music, outside of like 3-4 good songs, is horrendous. It's usually not this bad so I just don't get it.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I've got a ~60 marauder and ~40 scion on the softcore ladder. Still have my 51 marauder hardcore from the beta as well. Was used to the ground slam/heavy strike build from beta so that's why I stuck with marauder, very effective build with mediocre gear. Started building a spectral thrower and yeah it does seem overpowered and potentially nerfed in future patches, then again I've used most of my mara's hand-me-downs along with some uniques so gears been strong for the areas as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about farming items for other classes aside from weapons for the early levels, as links are more important than actual stats in many cases, and its not worth rolling for the right socket combo on lower level gear. In softcore at least, because it doesn't matter if you die.

Cool.

I played the last two nights with a spectral thrower using my Marauder's gear and it was by far the easiest to get to Act 3.

Do currency items drop more the higher up you get? I do not see how people have so many of the rarer currency items to make their own gear if they don't drop more. I have logged about 65 or so hours now and have not gotten 1 Exalt, maybe 5 Chaos, 7 or 8 Alchemy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad