***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 8)

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
But losing 1-0 when you have 45 shots and the other team has 5?

..is possible.

Every goalie lets in a bad goal, but this isn't real life.

You're right, it's a program designed by human beings, who are prone to make mistakes or oversights, resulting in unintended consequences.

The AI goalie letting in the same goal as the video you posted would be considered ice tilt because there is usually a 99.9% chance that an NHL caliber goalie should be able to stop simple shots, however the ice tilt in the game is what makes them let it in.

Or it's because their programming is imperfect, has to be put together in under a year, and is prone to resulting in the AI improperly reading the situation? Why exactly does it have to be the developers put in sneaky lines of code to make kind, honest people lose when they don't deserve to?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Im not sure I buy the ice tilt thing. The other day my goalie let in a weak wrister 5-hole from the blue line with no traffic in front of the net, but I'm not so sure that isn't just bad luck

And is far as stats go, I personally play a very low shooting game. I don't shoot unless its a good chance to go in. Some guys I've played are just shooting freaks, whereas others like me are really patient and wait for a good chance. Thats why when people post those stat screens its a little misleading

Even in games where I'm easily outplayed, I might be ahead in TOA because while the other guy can create a chance faster, it takes me a little longer and I need to be a little more deliberate. So some games I am way higher in TOA, but lower in shots despite feeling outplayed.

In part, this. But ice-tilting is real.

I'm 14-0-0 in VS. I score (on average) 3.79GpG and give up 0.64GApG. I'll go through an entire game, dominating possession and only finish with 17-19 shots. It's not about shot quantity, it's about quality. If you suck, you suck. It doesn't matter if you have 45 shots and the other player 5, because you clearly don't know how to score. And you can say the goaltender made ridiculous saves, but at the end of the day, if you're taking 45 shots and you don't have 5-6 goals, you're doing something wrong and it's not the games fault.

This game is, in part, similar to real hockey. If you're coming of the wing, taking bad shots, the CPU goaltender is going to get into a groove. If you come in, make your first few shots high-quality and get the CPU moving and guessing, you'll score goals and you'll make the goaltender look bad. Not to mention, the longer you go on not scoring, the more you force things and that never works. You become incredibly predictable and you take the worst shots, at awful times.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
When 13 came out, what were the contracts in Be A GM mode and GM Connected for Subban/Benn/O'Reilly? I'm wondering what happens if Pietrangelo isn't signed by the release because I don't think there's a signing period at the beginning of either of those modes.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Hi guys. Maybe this was asked before but what regions are there for the vs games?

I play vs on Xbox 360 and although I live in Germany my opponents come 90% of the time from either Finland or Sweden. Sometimes though I have an opponent from Germany, UK or even Russia (last week I checked on every opponent because I was curious and 85% or so were Fins, 10% Swedes and almost no one from othe countries - remember I live in Germany lol). Does that mean there are so few Germans playing NHL videogame? ^^

I don't complain though as I beat Fins almost every time. :) For some reaason they all play extremly cautious.

Regarding you guys crying about not scoring enough. I often have 40+ shots on goal but this has various reasons. Often I just want to keep the puck in the opposing zone to not risk a counter attack and a break away and then I just shoot the puck towards the net or sometimes I try it with a lucky shot from the corners. But most often you score when you are patient and create really goog scoring chances.

You don't have to see it as 45-5 shots or so but as 3-3 major scoring opportunities - maybe opponent had a break away or two - and boom you have a close result. ;)

Avec Fromage*

When 13 came out, what were the contracts in Be A GM mode and GM Connected for Subban/Benn/O'Reilly? I'm wondering what happens if Pietrangelo isn't signed by the release because I don't think there's a signing period at the beginning of either of those modes.

Unsigned RFAs just had another year at the same rate. E.g., Cody Franson had another year at 800K instead of the 1.2M he later signed.

And to the post above me, no, face off ratings very rarely improve. I would suggest editing the face off ratings for prospects, and maybe the players in the game because they are awfully wrong.

Avec Fromage*

Hi guys. Maybe this was asked before but what regions are there for the vs games?

I play vs on Xbox 360 and although I live in Germany my opponents come 90% of the time from either Finland or Sweden. Sometimes though I have an opponent from Germany, UK or even Russia (last week I checked on every opponent because I was curious and 85% or so were Fins, 10% Swedes and almost no one from othe countries - remember I live in Germany lol). Does that mean there are so few Germans playing NHL videogame? ^^

I don't complain though as I beat Fins almost every time. :) For some reaason they all play extremly cautious.

Regarding you guys crying about not scoring enough. I often have 40+ shots on goal but this has various reasons. Often I just want to keep the puck in the opposing zone to not risk a counter attack and a break away and then I just shoot the puck towards the net or sometimes I try it with a lucky shot from the corners. But most often you score when you are patient and create really goog scoring chances.

You don't have to see it as 45-5 shots or so but as 3-3 major scoring opportunities - maybe opponent had a break away or two - and boom you have a close result. ;)

Yes, it probably means there are few German players. The game goes by geographical location, hence why you don't face anyone in North America, even though most of the players are from there.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Hey guys. I'm in Miami for 3 weeks and will be pretty much at the hotel the whole time. I brought my PS3 with me and have FIFA13 only. Do you think it's worth it to buy NHL13? Keep in mind that I won't buy NHL14 as I dont really have time to play when I'm back to Montreal.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Hey guys. I'm in Miami for 3 weeks and will be pretty much at the hotel the whole time. I brought my PS3 with me and have FIFA13 only. Do you think it's worth it to buy NHL13? Keep in mind that I won't buy NHL14 as I dont really have time to play when I'm back to Montreal.

I wouldn't. You won't get anything for trading it back in in 3 weeks because of the NHL14 release, so you'd essentially be renting it for $20/week.

BOS77

Jul 17, 2011
Nova Scotia
Xbox 360 Be A Gm

Question for you guy while playing in be a gm mode during the season it will let me call up guy's with 2 way contracts from the AHL but i can't send them back down with out going through waivers.these guys have 2 way contracts shouldn't they be able to go up and down without going through waivers.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
NHL '13 has (correctly) waiver eligibility separate from contract status (1-way vs 2-way). There's a "Waiver eligible?" column that you should be looking at.

It's not the same as it was in '12 where 1-way vs 2-way contract (incorrectly) determined waiver eligibility. '13 is more authentic to the CBA.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Anyone ever have a goal count that never actually went in?

Not sure how, I wish I recorded it, but this happened offline today. A CPU player did a wraparound and tried to stuff it on my goalie who blocked it, it didn't even come close to going in, but it counted anyways.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Anyone ever have a goal count that never actually went in?

Not sure how, I wish I recorded it, but this happened offline today. A CPU player did a wraparound and tried to stuff it on my goalie who blocked it, it didn't even come close to going in, but it counted anyways.

Yup. The "puck across the line" detection is a bit fuzzy. I've had many "post and out" shots count as goals, both for and against.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
What's a good turnover ratio in EASHL for a playmaking forward (I probably play the wing 2/3 of the time and center 1/3)? I'm trying to put a lot into positioning, clogging passing lanes and stripping players of the puck (the announcers will comment on me mirroring the puck, using my stick to knock the puck loose, etc. multiple times every game). I'm very pass-happy which I get can lead to more turnovers, but I'm still turning it over almost twice as much as I'm taking the puck away. Is it normal to have that bad of a turnover ratio in this game even if you're really focusing on defense?

Recent stats:

Center: 3 GP - 24 Gv, 10 Tk
Right Wing: 10 GP - 64 Gv, 50 Tk
Left Wing: 3 GP - 29 Gv, 9 Tk

Forward: 16 GP - 117 Gv, 69 Tk

Defense stats: 4 GP - 16 Gv, 5 Tk

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
What's a good turnover ratio in EASHL for a playmaking forward (I probably play the wing 2/3 of the time and center 1/3)? I'm trying to put a lot into positioning, clogging passing lanes and stripping players of the puck (the announcers will comment on me mirroring the puck, using my stick to knock the puck loose, etc. multiple times every game). I'm very pass-happy which I get can lead to more turnovers, but I'm still turning it over almost twice as much as I'm taking the puck away. Is it normal to have that bad of a turnover ratio in this game even if you're really focusing on defense?

Recent stats:

Center: 3 GP - 24 Gv, 10 Tk
Right Wing: 10 GP - 64 Gv, 50 Tk
Left Wing: 3 GP - 29 Gv, 9 Tk

Forward: 16 GP - 117 Gv, 69 Tk

Defense stats: 4 GP - 16 Gv, 5 Tk

Can't really answer your question of what a good turnover ratio is, but I have 2,828 turnovers in 259 games as a left wing. I think you're good :P

But I have 432 points, so IDGAF :laugh:

**I haven't played EASHL in months. Also only played 2v2 so the computer would miss my passes a lot.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
So my profile got corrupted and been spending an hour trying to redo everything but I forgot how to make it so when your playing defense the only way you skate backwards is if you hold LT

does anyone know where to disable the auto skatebackwards?

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
Maybe just me but imo TWD are useless, better to have OFD and DFD on your roster. Same holds true for TWF. The latter don't develop at all and have the highest chance of busting.
And I still haven't figured out what makes you build a continuous contender every year in Be a GM. I had stud lineups and didn't even make the playoffs and other years my team was crap and I wanted to fail (for a high draft pick) I went deep into the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the playoffs.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
So my profile got corrupted and been spending an hour trying to redo everything but I forgot how to make it so when your playing defense the only way you skate backwards is if you hold LT

does anyone know where to disable the auto skatebackwards?

Apologies for an old bump, but I've been having issues with this as well.

right now, it seems there is NO BACKSKATE BUTON in NHL 13, only "vision control", whatever the hell that is....maybe the player faces the puck? :help:

auto-backskate is stupid, but the only way to not have my D-men doing figure-skating spins all game :(

KEYoung32

Feb 12, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
OK I've just picked up NHL '13.. don't laugh. It was $20 new in the box, and I had been playing '11: long story, but I'm just now getting back into gaming after a 5 year hiatus. So this is, for me, a huge upgrade.

Is anyone still running a league for this game?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00