***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Anyone have the problem in the demo HUT of player contracts running out? I'll have like Lucic, Perry, and Keith or some combination run out of time and I dont have enough players to replace them with so I can't play. I have to start over with a brand new team which is very frustrating, and it has happened a few times so far after it seems the 6th game played. I've looked for a place to renew the contracts with no avail.

Other than that I like the feel of this so far. The momentum skating feels much better here and definitely raises the skill cap further separating the strategists from the bozos. AI is also more intelligent in that they often take away the pass around the boards when I go to pick up the puck on their dump in behind the net, for example, and the stretch pass out is riskier unless I dump pass it or angle it on the boards. They seem to be in better position, their side and mine for the most part. You can't just skate in front of AI defenseman and expect not to be opposed in some way, and that's very nice. If you get anywhere near the arm span of the back skating defenseman they'll certainly oppose you, but it does seem easy to use momentum skating to your advantage to put them out of position.

Scoring in general is more difficult, what with goalies making dynamic saves that do look great. Many times (not all) on defense I'll make a stupid pass to have it intercepted or not cover a guy and have my goalie bail me out with a surprising save. It's just the same on offense. I also have trouble winning in the shootout... I must need more practice with it this way. As I am a fan of continuous overtime in real hockey, I am for it here as well. Poke checking is more effective but it seems harder to use the stick lift and be in position to pick up the puck before them. It's probably still as good to stick lift to force a missed pass, but I haven't done that often enough. The improved "poke check to whack at a loose puck" is neat as well.

Passing is more realistic in that few players can receive hard passes so cleanly, as well as the pass being intercepted more often. This increases the value of the saucer pass, though its still less accurate and more difficult to control itself it does get through. No look back passes are less accurate in general but it depends on whether its a pass from good awareness player or not of course. Slap shot passes seem the same. I don't quite like the board play, yet. There's some invisible bubble that wasn't there in 12. The presentation is better at the least with the apparent shades of lighting and such. Some of the player faces have also been done really well. Take a look at Dainus Zubrus! The announcing has gotten very old, though. Would be nice to put someone different in there, with preferably more genuine emotion especially for the playoffs. A fan of Doc or not, he has that. Don't need to remove Thorne, just need to give us another option.

I find in the demo that on default when going against the AHL team it's as hard to score against them as it is to score against the NHL, but on Normal I completely dominate them but not so much the NHL teams, so there must be a bigger disparity in player stats in normal as compared to default including of course goalie stats.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry, but this is 100% false. This is pretty much the finished product.

Not sure why people think this.

Because most demos do this. Especially EA NHL demos. If you've played any other NHL demo I'm not sure how you can think otherwise

getzforfighting*

Anyone have the problem in the demo HUT of player contracts running out? I'll have like Lucic, Perry, and Keith or some combination run out of time and I dont have enough players to replace them with so I can't play. I have to start over with a brand new team which is very frustrating, and it has happened a few times so far after it seems the 6th game played. I've looked for a place to renew the contracts with no avail.

Other than that I like the feel of this so far. The momentum skating feels much better here and definitely raises the skill cap further separating the strategists from the bozos. AI is also more intelligent in that they often take away the pass around the boards when I go to pick up the puck on their dump in behind the net, for example, and the stretch pass out is riskier unless I dump pass it or angle it on the boards. They seem to be in better position, their side and mine for the most part. You can't just skate in front of AI defenseman and expect not to be opposed in some way, and that's very nice. If you get anywhere near the arm span of the back skating defenseman they'll certainly oppose you, but it does seem easy to use momentum skating to your advantage to put them out of position.

Scoring in general is more difficult, what with goalies making dynamic saves that do look great. Many times (not all) on defense I'll make a stupid pass to have it intercepted or not cover a guy and have my goalie bail me out with a surprising save. It's just the same on offense. I also have trouble winning in the shootout... I must need more practice with it this way. As I am a fan of continuous overtime in real hockey, I am for it here as well. Poke checking is more effective but it seems harder to use the stick lift and be in position to pick up the puck before them. It's probably still as good to stick lift to force a missed pass, but I haven't done that often enough. The improved "poke check to whack at a loose puck" is neat as well.

Passing is more realistic in that few players can receive hard passes so cleanly, as well as the pass being intercepted more often. This increases the value of the saucer pass, though its still less accurate and more difficult to control itself it does get through. No look back passes are less accurate in general but it depends on whether its a pass from good awareness player or not of course. Slap shot passes seem the same. I don't quite like the board play, yet. There's some invisible bubble that wasn't there in 12. The presentation is better at the least with the apparent shades of lighting and such. Some of the player faces have also been done really well. Take a look at Dainus Zubrus! The announcing has gotten very old, though. Would be nice to put someone different in there, with preferably more genuine emotion especially for the playoffs. A fan of Doc or not, he has that. Don't need to remove Thorne, just need to give us another option.

I find in the demo that on default when going against the AHL team it's as hard to score against them as it is to score against the NHL, but on Normal I completely dominate them but not so much the NHL teams, so there must be a bigger disparity in player stats in normal as compared to default including of course goalie stats.

umm, its a demo? i think its meant for you to just win that tournament once.......

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey

Drfeelgood, noted EA employee, said that most game developers usually split up the demo and full game builds and the demo isn't usually close to the release

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
somebody on a different forum said that he saw that Doug Gilmour, hasek, and kurri as some of the legends that are going to be in the game (I'm not sure if his story is credible, but these guys seem like they can be legends). Some idiot said that doug gilmour shouldn't be legend. IMO I think that Gilmour has done enough to earn the right to be a "legend". My question is that do you guys think he is a "legend"?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
somebody on a different forum said that he saw that Doug Gilmour, hasek, and kurri as some of the legends that are going to be in the game (I'm not sure if his story is credible, but these guys seem like they can be legends). Some idiot said that doug gilmour shouldn't be legend. IMO I think that Gilmour has done enough to earn the right to be a "legend". My question is that do you guys think he is a "legend"?

I noticed in one of the videos about Moments Live that Gilmour's OT winner was one of the moments. I believe he has earned the right to be called a legend.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

pretty sure they are all in there. (don;t remember) Hasek is a 86 ovr for sure though. That stood out to me. One of the all time best goalies (top 3 in my books) and only a 86 ovr. Also I think Patrick Roy was taken out (not sure but I know some legends from last year were removed)

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver

100% false eh? who told u that? I'm guessing u just think that and don't know but are passing ur opinion on as a true fact when in reality it is not. Unless of course u know more than a producer of the game, since he told me that and matt got it from me.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
pretty sure they are all in there. (don;t remember) Hasek is a 86 ovr for sure though. That stood out to me. One of the all time best goalies (top 3 in my books) and only a 86 ovr. Also I think Patrick Roy was taken out (not sure but I know some legends from last year were removed)

Roy was absolute garbage in HUT last year (the only mode where it was fun to use him). Not sad to see him go. I like the idea of having lesser "legends" in the game like Gilmour, Chelios, Salming, Roenick, etc...They already put Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Roy, and Bourque in last year's game so its not like we had to settle for borderline HOFers.

I'd love to see a Legend Lindros/Sakic/Hull (Bobby or Brett)/Stevens. Guys that aren't considered as top 5 of all time but are still Legendary NHLers. It could have just been the attribute parity in NHL 12 but playing as Gretzky/Lemieux didn't feel as special as it should have. I collected the entire NHL and played with every NHL player atleast twice in HUT and when i used Lemieux and Gretzky (all versions) they just didn't seem all that special to me. Which was dissapointing because i was hoping EA would properly reflect how totally dominating they were. If they use "lesser" Legends it wont be as much of a let down.

matt1396

Jul 28, 2012
Toronto
100% false eh? who told u that? I'm guessing u just think that and don't know but are passing ur opinion on as a true fact when in reality it is not. Unless of course u know more than a producer of the game, since he told me that and matt got it from me.

Yup I did get it from you.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
I have an extremely hard time believing the demo gameplay is the finished product for release. It's a demo. It's like a testing product, and then they'll polish it up for the real deal.

Besides, they come out with tuners throughout the year to open it up. I remember in NHL 11 it was extremely hard to score in the EASHL the first couple of weeks. Then they opened it up with tuners.

I hope they change how the color of the game looks. It's sorta fuzzy and faded on the demo.

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
umm, its a demo? i think its meant for you to just win that tournament once.......

I'd lose to team USA in the shootout, go back to try again and I'm forced to quit after beating the Devils. (6th game) But yes I know, it's a demo. I'm not delirious. :P Many things won't be available but it's still fun to play around with and get a feel for it. Really not an issue worth mentioning, was just curious if I could get around having to start over because of the contract business.

Last edited:

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
There's nothing to fix.

For instance, the Frolunda Indians' jersey didn't look anything like this.

1411343_396_400.jpg

Sep 1, 2009
Edmonton AB
shoaibma.com
Does anybody know why the player pictures in edit line is updated but when playing a game it's last years? Also, is it just me or is pro harder in HUT compared to play now? I usually play on All-Star in play now and have now problem scoring a couple goals a game but when it comes to HUT i can't score at all haha

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
line change while you have posession on your way into their zone..... if you dont get hit at the blue line. I always grind low in the corners while line changing, pass off then let him go auto change himself

tututooter21

Aug 18, 2010
B.C.
Anyone score any highlight reel goals? Or is everything just text book? Haven't had access to my Xbox since the demo came out..

Yes, but not as common as in NHL12, then again these are computers, against humans you could probably get some, but still not as many as NHL12

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
Wow, I got jumped on for my demo comment. What you will play on release day is what you are playing in the demo, minus slider adjustments.

Just like the Madden demo.. . Which is identical to the actual game.

But hey, keep holding on to your false hope.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wow, I got jumped on for my demo comment. What you will play on release day is what you are playing in the demo, minus slider adjustments.

Just like the Madden demo.. . Which is identical to the actual game.

But hey, keep holding on to your false hope.

While I agree in general with this, sliders can make a huge difference. Also, when EA releases tuner sets, they change parts of the game that you, as an endpoint user, cannot change with sliders alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad