***NHL 13 Thread*** (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Based on the "Premium" stuff you get for pre-ordering the game, I think NHL HUT is going to have card packs like Madden HUT i.e. NHL hut is going to suck

yakitate304

Crunch Time
Oct 23, 2007
NY
Carrying this convo over from the previous thread:

Oscar Acosta said:
Because the top teams are all repetitive glitch cheesers. It might be fun for them to to it to each other but most people don't want to waste 30 minutes of their life watching people try the exact same moves repeatedly, it's aggravating.

It doesn't make you better to watch them exploit your AI defense or goalie.
From my experience, most of the glitching teams are around the Pro level. My team is in Elite and I can't recall many games against other Elite teams who glitched often. Generally, glitchers only know how to play that way and get shut down by teams who play solid two way hockey. The thing about glitches is that sometimes you're just in a position where taking a shot is the best option - like a 1 on 2 with a defender screening. Shooting from there isn't a great percentage and only about 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 will go in even from good players, but when you score that way you get labeled a glitcher. It's the same in Online Vs/HUT - players think that effective defense means going for the hit with a defenseman 90% of the time, then complain that you score 5 goals on 2-on-1s.

The only legitimate glitch I can think of is the fake slapshot, but I've only seen that a handful of times in a few hundred games.

I'm not great at this game in terms of puck skills, great playmaking, or goalscoring, but just by having solid hockey foundations** I'm able to play an effective game in EASHL from any position against very good teams.

**knowing when to pass, shoot, take on a defenseman, or dump it...
**knowing how to get provide a support/possession passing option instead of always going to the slot
**knowing when it's smart/dangerous to play the puck to your point man
**knowing when you need to cover for a defenseman as a forward
**knowing how to forecheck effectively as the first, second or third forward
**knowing when (as a forward) to cover your pointman or drop down to defend a more immediate threat
**knowing when to pinch and when to retreat as a defenseman, based on cherrypickers, your mobility, and whether you have a forward in position to cover your pinch...
**knowing when to step up at your blue line to go for the puck, cause the forward to move laterally to force the offside, go for the hit (rare), or when to drop back and stay with a forward
**knowing how to contain and keep shots to the outside, especially on the PK
**knowing how to play against odd man rushes (tip: vision control and get in the passing lane, gradually closing off the puckcarrier without actually committing to him until it's clear that he's shooting OR if you have a human goalie, sticking like glue to the cross crease option and either putting a body on him or lifting his stick...
**knowing when you need to take a hooking/tripping penalty if you get burnt...
**knowing when to go for the quick breakout, the homerun breakaway pass, a reverse to your defenseman, or just make the fast safe dump to clear the zone

None of these are things that you need to play 1000 games to learn... I have about 200 games played on my pro - which isn't a lot compared to many people online. I think people get so caught up in thinking that to be good, you have to be dangling people every time you have the puck or making a big hit every time you have the chance, when the best way to be good at this game regardless of the quality of competition is simply to play smart hockey.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't see why people care so much about the addition of new features for the different game modes. What really matters is the gameplay

Because right now all BaP is is playing a crapton of games. Career progression needs to be better defined and actually impact the rest of the game. Right now BaP plays out exactly the same way every time.

tututooter21

Aug 18, 2010
B.C.
Can I hope? what does the demo usually consist of?

Can you transfer your pro from NHL 12 to NHL 13?

The demo will probably have the third period of the stanley cup, HUT demo, and I will guess the preseason of BEAGM so people get a feel for it.

And Im pretty sure you cant transfer pros

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
You play goal, right? I saw your highlight video in the other thread hehe. Good stuff. Do you also play goal in BaP? I can't get XP to save my life.
Normally I play anything but goal aha
That game I just went in net because we had 6 guys on and none of us were goalies and I felt like doing it for a change.
I do have a goalie in BaP but I haven't played more than a handfull of games on it.. parttially because of how hard it is to get xp. BRB allow 3 goals and get no xp
I feel the same way. taking 4 days of vacation the day it comes out so I can play it all week
I'll be doing this as well.
Well maybe not 4 days, but at least the day it comes out

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Not gonna lie or try to sugar-coat this....GM Brain looks absolutely amazing. Looks like they have done some serious work on it and the results look very promising. I know we've heard this before from EA and yes, it should have been done years ago but it looks like this time is the real deal. I think BAGM will be far more enjoyable with a lot of these tweaks. Some of the changes are quite a bit bigger than I was expecting.

Wonder if there is anything added to the off-season layout as well as presentation like intermission things and details with the fans, this to me....is one of the last things that they really need to improve on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad