Rosters and Ratings: NHL 13 player growth

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'm still certain that prospects development is predetermined and it doesn't matter how and where you play them.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm still certain that prospects development is predetermined and it doesn't matter how and where you play them.

I'd be hesitant to talk in absolutes. While there's definitely guys that seemingly refuse to get better regardless of ice time (Teuvo Teravainen comes to mind), I've had guys go from completely stalling in their development to taking some serious leaps, typically around 23/24/25. It may just seem like every prospect has predetermined growth (particularly the 2013 draftees for some bizarre reason) because the "late bloomer" effect is harder to see.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I found something that might be a bug. I had my team setup as an offensive team so naturally majority of my team put up career numbers but i got swept in the playoffs. My players all for the most part grew. Next preseason i decide to play a defensive style so naturally my team scores less. Except because of this all my players scored a lot less than the season before. Result? My players dropped a ton and they all had a great season.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I still haven't found a single player that I can get a long term contract with for a low wage, that becomes really good.

I have had players demanding high salaries that had a mediocer development though.

Basically, I look at the players and see what they demand long term, and then decide whether I'll keep or trade them. Too bad you can't really change the development via playing someone a lot and on the first line, pp etc.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Isles got screwed pretty good with Strome and Nino.

I simmed an entire season, forcing them onto the top-line with Tavares. The team went to the Finals, they finished with respectably 40+ point totals, and jumped a whopping 1 and 3 points respectively.

when nino was my top scorer in the ahl he rose by 1 point! yeah! Did strome or nino rise by 3 points for you?

The Finnish MacInnis*

In a GM Connected season I recently finished, I don't think I played Michael Sauer even one game all season, and he jumped from 75-83.

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
What does Kadri top out at? I've had Colbourne, and Mckegg both jump past him on the depth chart so far, and can't decide to trade him for a winger or wait it out another year or 2. (still not an 80)

DoubleDose86

Nov 23, 2010
Toronto
ah, will see what team is looking for him then. Get what I can. Got too many C prospects coming up. Think I may have over compensated for the real Leafs.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
What is the highest rating you've had a regenerated player reach? Mine is 89, never anyone in the 90s..

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
What is the highest rating you've had a regenerated player reach? Mine is 89, never anyone in the 90s..

Shinkaruk hit 91 for me, but that was only on one play through. I've had him in others and like you said, he usually gets stuck at 89. Weird.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

A computer generated player? I have one who is a 88 currently in the 2021-22 season. 1st overall in 2017 (I got the pick from Florida over the summer for Michael Sauer and they finished with 48pts :laugh:). 6'7 251lb power forward. 4.5 green stars. Hoping he'll make it to 90. Well over a PPG mid-way through the year with Anton Zlobin and Bobby Ryan on his line.

Ryan McDonagh was the only other guy who came close to 90 who didn't start there in the first place, but he topped out at a 88 for me.

Aug 6, 2012
Same its weird... Don't have one player develop past 89 so far.

Quick question, does the team's Strategy impact the simulation results?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Drafted a 20 year old goalie (Liam Liston?) 9th overall 4.5* in 2013. Put up a completely underwhelming .901SV% in 70 games in the AHL. Jumped from a 65 to an 88 that offseason. Lolwut?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So what is the best setup?

It depends on how your lines are made up. If you have a lot of big forwards, "Crash the net" is optimal. Guys with high shooting attributes prefer overload. I haven't really found an optimal set up for behind the net strategy though. Probably because I only have one real "offensive" d-man on my roster.

Thought what I had to be a solid team to start the year, but mid-way through I was 12-20-6 or something and nobody on my team was putting up more than half a PPG. So I decided something had to be wrong and started tweaking the strategy settings. Team only lost a total of 8 games the rest of the year and had 2 guys put up 70+ points.

Aug 6, 2012
Yeah I don't get it... I have Lucic-Crosby-Perry as my 1st line and Crosby scored 77 points... Both Lucic and Perry in the 60s... What am I doing wrong?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yeah I don't get it... I have Lucic-Crosby-Perry as my 1st line and Crosby scored 77 points... Both Lucic and Perry in the 60s... What am I doing wrong?

The line strategy for them probably doesn't suit them. Or your playing way to defensive for them to put up points. Probably the 1st one.

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012

In my one BAGM, I'm in 2018-19 season and Huberdeau is playing in the AHL for Boston and he's a 73 OVR 3* POT. Meanwhile, I've seen him as an 88 in another BAGM.

I never had a player develop beyond an 88 until my most recent year - Eberle, RNH, and Morissey all jumped up to a 90 OVR.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Well I've drafted Ryan Pulock in like 9 different bagm's and he's always maxed out as an 85+ overall and I have change his potential, but he always ends up the same so could be predetermined?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Well I've drafted Ryan Pulock in like 9 different bagm's and he's always maxed out as an 85+ overall and I have change his potential, but he always ends up the same so could be predetermined?

He's currently an 87 in my save.

He's on the third pairing due to my ridiculous defence :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad