Not open for further replies.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
:habs

Habs Return to ECF for First Time Since 2010

138507571_std.jpg

Canadiens forward Travis Moen battles with Penguins dman Kris Letang in front of Marc-Andre Fluery.

It may have only taken the Canadiens five games to take down the Penguins, but the series was a lot closer than it looks. Game 4 was the only game that wasn't decided by one goal. However, the Habs were able to keep Sidney Crosby out of the goal column. The superstar struggled to get his offensive game going and couldn't pot a goal in any of the games. The series ended in overtime with a shot off the stick of Tomas Plekanec, sending the Habs into round three.

Game 1: 2-1 Win
Game 2: 3-2 Win

Game 3: 1-0 Loss
Game 4: 4-0 Win
Game 5: 3-2 OT Win

Montreal will face their biggest rival, the Toronto Maple Leafs, in the Eastern Conference Finals.​

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Am I the only one who has absolutely horrendous goalies in this game? I won the cup in my first season, with Hiller at a 87.8 svs%. I traded him in the offseason, got Kiprusoff and Khabibulin and so far Kiprusoff's at 83.7% (8 games) and Khabibulin at 85.1% (5 games). This despite having decreased the CPU's shooting accuracy to the lowest and making my goalies better at seeing the puck through traffic.

They seem ok whenever I play a friend, but as soon as I play be a GM the goalies are absoultely horrendous. I don't remember them being this bad when I first bought the game... I do however play on superstar level, with CPU difficulity adjustment at the highest. Could that be it? But if I make it easier the opposition can barely get the puck into my zone.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Rauman Lukko Gone Mad?

On February 27, 2021, Rauman Lukko GM Baarle dealt reigning back to back to back Hart and Vezina winning, 2 time Conn Smythe winner, 27 year old goalie John Gibson to Boston. In return, Lukko receives top prospect D-man Jay Ness, last year's first overall pick, and Boston's first rounder, likely to be top 3. Baarle is counting on the best goalie prospect in the game and current back up, 22 year old Ray Mayers to lead Rauman to their fourth straight cup. They currently sit 2nd in the league table.

EDIT: Won the cup, Mayers at an 84 overall now

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Am I the only one who has absolutely horrendous goalies in this game? I won the cup in my first season, with Hiller at a 87.8 svs%. I traded him in the offseason, got Kiprusoff and Khabibulin and so far Kiprusoff's at 83.7% (8 games) and Khabibulin at 85.1% (5 games). This despite having decreased the CPU's shooting accuracy to the lowest and making my goalies better at seeing the puck through traffic.

They seem ok whenever I play a friend, but as soon as I play be a GM the goalies are absoultely horrendous. I don't remember them being this bad when I first bought the game... I do however play on superstar level, with CPU difficulity adjustment at the highest. Could that be it? But if I make it easier the opposition can barely get the puck into my zone.

Are the percentages from simming or playing?

If it's the latter, then that's normal... you just need to get better at reducing the CPU's quality chances. So less turnovers in your own zone, odd-man rushes, crowded crease, shots from the slot, etc.

I still get a fairly low SV% (~.905 with Pavelec from playing games) but that's compensated by keeping overall shots lower than the usual. I also roll on Superstar with all difficulty sliders cranked up and all other sliders even between CPU and me.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Are the percentages from simming or playing?

If it's the latter, then that's normal... you just need to get better at reducing the CPU's quality chances. So less turnovers in your own zone, odd-man rushes, crowded crease, shots from the slot, etc.

I still get a fairly low SV% (~.905 with Pavelec from playing games) but that's compensated by keeping overall shots lower than the usual. I also roll on Superstar with all difficulty sliders cranked up and all other sliders even between CPU and me.

From playing. I only control one player on the ice though, so it's sometimes difficult in the defensive zone. I tend to let the opposition shoot from bad angels to get the svs% higher, but they let those in too far too often. I have yet to notice any differance between the goalies ratings. I had Hiller (86 overall) and Fasth (79 overall) the first season and Fasth finished at 88.6% in 29 games and was above 89% in the playoffs compared to Hiller's 87.9% in the regular season and 86% something in the playoffs...

In my most reason game I was up by 3-2 against Dallas when my goalies decided to **** thins up with three minutes left. Khabibulin would let in the next two shots, I put in Kipper and he lets in two out of three. So Dallas gets five shots in the last three minutes, and wins 6-3. This happens ALL the time. I'm 10 games into my second season, and Kiprusoff has been above 90% in one game. Khabibulin? 0 times...

The goalies in NHL 12 were defenitely worse at recognizing potential threats that didn't have the puck, but they would at least stop the normal shots.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
So far been playing 42 games (I've played all games by myself) with my Fantasy Draft team Edmonton Thunderbirds, current record is 35-5-2.

Here's my current line-up:

I. Kovalchuk (A) [42gp, 27g+24a=51p] - J. Thornton (C) [42gp, 17g+30a] - P. Kane [41gp, 26g+20a=46p]
A. Semin [44gp, 22g+20a=42p] - R. Linkonen* [42gp, 12g+20a=34p] - M. Havlat [42gp, 28g+17a=45p]
T. Teräväinen** [0gp, 0g+0a=0p] - B. Marchand [43gp, 6g+14a=20p] - C. Clutterbuck [40gp, 9g+9a=p]
M. Cooke [42gp, 6g+7a=13p] - M. Malhotra [42gp, 3g+7a=10p] - M. Bradley [42gp, 3g+4a=7p]

R. Josi [30gp, 5g+17a=22p] - V. Hedman [44gp, 3g+15a=18p]
C. Ehrhoff (A) [27gp, 12g+16a=28p] - J. Wisniewski [42gp, 9g+31a=40p]
R. Wilson [42gp, 3g+10a=13p] - A. Emelin [42gp, 4g+15a=19p]

Healthy Scratches:
N. Prosser [8gp, 0g+4a=4p], S. Robidas [32gp, 2g+10a=12p]

Injured:
**M. Raymond [43gp, 13g+8a=21p]
K. Ballard [31gp, 1g+6a=7p]

M. Fleury [32gp, W22, L8, GAA 1.67, SV% .932%, SO 6]
B. Scrivens[6gp, W5, L1, GAA 1.65, SV% .926%, SO 1]

*Linkonen is a 84 overall custom player, basically a faster version of Jordan Staal, and perhaps not as good hitter.
**Raymond just got injured for 4 weeks in the previous game, and i replaced him with Teräväinen

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Late round gems do exist! 2013 5th rounder Simon Darveau (Grinder) is at 79 2 years later. 3.5 yellow stars.

98 Defensive awareness, 94 body checking, and has high 80's and 90's in every shooting category.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
From playing. I only control one player on the ice though, so it's sometimes difficult in the defensive zone. I tend to let the opposition shoot from bad angels to get the svs% higher, but they let those in too far too often. I have yet to notice any differance between the goalies ratings. I had Hiller (86 overall) and Fasth (79 overall) the first season and Fasth finished at 88.6% in 29 games and was above 89% in the playoffs compared to Hiller's 87.9% in the regular season and 86% something in the playoffs...

In my most reason game I was up by 3-2 against Dallas when my goalies decided to **** thins up with three minutes left. Khabibulin would let in the next two shots, I put in Kipper and he lets in two out of three. So Dallas gets five shots in the last three minutes, and wins 6-3. This happens ALL the time. I'm 10 games into my second season, and Kiprusoff has been above 90% in one game. Khabibulin? 0 times...

The goalies in NHL 12 were defenitely worse at recognizing potential threats that didn't have the puck, but they would at least stop the normal shots.

I don't think the sharper angle goals are too unrealistic. That more or less reflects reality where goalies let them in when their positioning is a bit off or they try to cheat on an odd-man rush and end up giving up more room in the short side (which the game simulates surprisingly well) and in some circumstances, simply not covering as much net as they believe they are. If you're playing under the most difficult settings, the CPU is very good at reading the goalie and recognizing which side he's giving up the most, relative to the CPU's position. So if the goalie say, has his glove high he'll likely shoot low glove. If he's close to the goalie and he notices he's still not down on the butterfly he'll likely shoot five-hole. And so on. These little things increase the CPU's in-game shooting percentage by quite a bit.

The best way to deal with them is to prevent the opponent from firing an exceedingly accurate/powerful shot, so give them less room and time to shoot. Poke checks are effective this time around so they're worth using. Try to see where you're relative to your goaltender so you know that you're not a) inadvertently screening him, which reduces his ability to track the puck depending on your slides and b) leaving a passing lane wide open.

I suppose having control of only one player makes things a lot more difficult, though. If you can play as a full team I'd do so.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
:habs

Leafs Defeat Habs in Close, Heated Series

6139787.bin

Leafs goaltender James Reimer faces a shot from Canadiens Max Pacioretty - he stopped it.

Many expected the Presidents' Trophy-winning Montreal Canadiens to blow past their fifth-seeded divisional rivals, the Toronto Maple Leafs. Many were disappointed. It was close - four of the seven games went into overtime, including game seven. Each team scored two overtime victories in the series, with Montreal's OT winners coming from captain Alex Galchenyuk and Tomas Plekanec. However, the Leafs won the most important OT game, from a shot off the stick of veteran forward Clarke MacArthur in game seven. Even though the Habs didn't come out on top in the series, Phil Kessel was fantastic against his former team - he racked up five goals and three assists in seven games.

Game 1: 2-1 OT Win (Galchenyuk)
Game 2: 3-2 OT Loss
Game 3: 3-2 OT Win (Plekanec)
Game 4: 4-1 Loss
Game 5: 4-2 Loss

Game 6: 5-4 Win
Game 7: 3-2 OT Loss

InTheCreaseDallas

Dec 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just won the Cup in my Dallas Stars dynasty. Jamie Benn led my team with 92 points while Loui Eriksson was close behind with 87. Goligoski won the Norris with 50+ points. Bachman (my backup) won the Calder. Many of my players had great years and I was very pleased with the progression of most of my players.

Jamie Benn - 86 to 89
Loui Eriksson - 85 to 88
Michael Ryder - 80 to 85
Derek Roy - 86 to 87
Jaromir Jagr - 81 to 82
Ray Whitney - 79 to 81
Cody Eakin - 74 to 79
Alex Goligoski - 82 to 86
Trevor Daley - 84 to 86
Philip Larsen - 73 to 78
Jack Campbell - 65 to 79
Jaden Schwartz - 65 to 78
Jordie Benn - 68 to 74
Richard Bachman - 74 to 83
Tomas Vincour - 68 to 78

Down:
Kari Lehtonen - 87 to 85
Brenden Morrow 83 to 82

Pretty interesting that Vincour's (3.5 red stars) overall jumped up 10 points when he only had 18 points playing on the third line of my AHL team. However, Schwartz (4 gold stars) jumped only 3 overall points with 48 points on my second line. I was pleased to see that the players on my big team actually progressed according to their performances during the season. Most of my players put up a lot of points for their respective roles on my team. I also traded for NYR 1st rounder during the season and it ended up turning into the first overall pick in which I selected Ryan Murray who is a 79 overall with 4.5 green stars so I'll be seeing how he progresses.

Just thought I'd post some of my players' progression because I always like to read how everybody elses players progress in their own dynasties. Also I play most of my games.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Progression in the game is weird. I'm doing a Devils Be a GM and started the game in September instead of before the draft, so the prospect pool is really thin.

BUT, everyone and their mothers in the AHL is going to 74-75, basically no matter who they are, as long as they play. Only a couple of laggards. Even Kory Nagy is a borderline NHL 4th liner at 74. In the pros, not much is happening. Larsson is 84 after 3 seasons but is slow going up. Grabbed Kristofer Berglund off the European scrap-pile (he should be Blues property, but oh well). He started as a 79, had a Lidstrom-esque year (50 points +45) and he instantly went to 84. That's by far the biggest move I've had in the NHL.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Once I saw Joonas Lehtivuori (sp) get picked off the free agent market. Within 2 years he's an 87 overall winning the Norris trophy with 58 points.

Mhoogasian94123

Question about free agency during the 1st 3 years...

Does anyone have any suggestions on which UFA/RFA to sign? I'm not sure if all the same players show up in your free agency windows but I would appreciate some players that you signed and how they played out.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions on which UFA/RFA to sign? I'm not sure if all the same players show up in your free agency windows but I would appreciate some players that you signed and how they played out.

Right off the bat? Osala (LW) becomes a beast defensively. Great 3rd-4th liner. Topped out at 81 overall for me. Consistently put up 30-35 points on my 3rd line + 1st PK.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Barker (D), 26 with 81 overall. I have no idea about how he plays/develops (and i signed him in both of my games), but he's an awesome trade chip at the deadline ;)

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Dominic Moore is a great utility forward; good defensive stats with respectable skating/offense and he's great at the dot. You can plug him anywhere in the bottom 6 and he'll do well. He can be had for 1.7-2M at UFA.

I got Kyle Clifford through offersheet (gave up nothing) during my second off-season; he had low 90's in the physicality attributes, mid=80's in the defensive stats and ~81 in offensive stats. With 3 and a half stars as his potential he still has room for offensive growth so while he's currently a great bottom line winger he could end up as a top 6 power forward. I signed him for 1M x 2 years.

Also in the 2nd off-season, I signed Mikko Koskinen. He was an 82 overall with awesome reflexes (97 in Angles!) but subpar puckhandling. A great backup or a serviceable 1B. He only has 3 stars as his potential so he likely won't get better than that. He was signed for 1.75M.

Before the first season, you should always sign Damien Brunner because of his high potential. You can either let him power up in the AHL or use him as a bargaining chip later in the season; he's actually very valuable despite his age and you could get young studs for him (I traded him and more to acquire MDZ at the deadline).

If you've got room for him, sign Barker too. He has good potential in the game and can grow to a mid-80's OFD.

There are a lot of 3.5 stars prospect that end up going unsigned; some 4 stars ones also pop up. In the first off-season I managed to sign Victor Rask, Tobias Reider and Oscar Dansk as UFA's so keep an eye out for them. Make sure to offer the max rookie salary and on July 1st so that no other team nabs them!

jrc494

Jan 6, 2012
Just picked up 13 (wayyyy better than 12) and started a new dynasty. I replaced PHX with the Houston Mustangs (Think Texans meets hockey and you have my unis) and tanked the first year. I completely gutted the team aside from a few key players to get six first rounders- Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones, Barkov, Pulock, and Shinkaruk. Year two I picked up a few UFAs and am actually trying to make the playoffs with what I have. We were around 10-15 when I traded Derrick Morris straight up for Teemu Selanne. We went on a HUGE run and now have a record around 30-20 and are first in the West. Line up looks like this:

Vrbata 82/ Miele 84/ Selanne 82
Whitney 79/ Hanzal 80/ Doan 82
Zucker 72/ G. Campbell 74/ LaRose 80
Dowell 71/ Gomez 79/ Coyle 69

OEL 87/Rundblad 87
Yandle 84/ Ference 83
Sommer 82/ D. Murray 81

Backstrom 87
Scrub

Really strong in G and on D and the forward corps is just good enough to keep us in games. I've seen alot of 2-1, 3-2 wins.

Sidenote: Do UFA classes get better? The best skater in the first group of UFAs was Ference at 83 OVR. I'm banking on free agency to help me out next year while my prospects develop.

Jyrki

May 24, 2011
溫哥華
^ I'm not sure about later seasons as I haven't gotten there yet, but in my second off-season there was a lot of talent to pick up. Perry, Girardi, Bouwmeester, Gerbe (grows like crazy) are some of the notables I can remember.

Mhoogasian94123

Do UFA classes get better? The best skater in the first group of UFAs was Ference at 83 OVR. I'm banking on free agency to help me out next year while my prospects develop.
VinnyC is correct with the UFA's he mentioned. In the year after that year I was able to sign Phil Kessel.

You team looks pretty good. Depending on your prospects development you could replace Selanne in the event he retires after this season (pretty sure he does. I forced him into retirement by knocking him out in the playoffs)
Good luck in the playoffs!!!! :yo:

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Broderick Kelly (D) is a very good pick in the third round in 2015. Got him 90th overall. Two years later-79 OV, 85 OFF awareness, 89 DEF. really good shooter and skater, but isn't physical. Still has 3.5 yellow stars.

BigNumber1Centre

Mar 19, 2010
Alberta
M. Pacioretty (85)-C. Player (99)-B.Gallagher (78)
R. Jones (80)-A. Galchenyuk (87)-P. Parenteau (81)
D. Smith-Pelley (79)-L. Leblanc (80)-M. Fisher (79)
B. Geoffrion (76)-A. Watson (78)-R. Johansen (77)

Scratches: T. Leivo (77)

J. Morrissey (88)-P. Subban (87)
N. Beaulieu (82)-S. Depres (84)
J. Tinordi (80)-R. Ristolainen (80)

Scratch: E. Mapletoft (80)

C. Price (90)
R. Rinne (76)​

Currently in the 2017-2018 season, which I'm not simulating. I realize its cheating to have a player with stacked ratings, but we play for fun eh? Scoring is down from previous years with only top centre at a ppg. I would like to acquire another top 6 winger but I'm pleased with Gallagher's performance to date on the top line, especially after being patient with his development. I am also very pleased with my defense this year. Currently sitting on top of the eastern conference at 11-2-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad