NHL’s Next TV Deal

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Wait a minute.... it's been 6 years since Rogers got NHL in Canada? 6 years since the real Hockey Night in Canada? I thought 12 years would take forever when that got signed.

I must be getting old, feels like last fall!!??!!!!??? I'm not even old.

I know it's partially part of getting older, but I really feel like the internet/media has done something to our perception of time. The "last 4 years" has just felt like 1 long run on sentence. Everything before the last lock out feels like it was forever ago, and everything since 2016 seems like months ago. If it were just age you wouldn't get the sensation of a big jump.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I wonder if the prospect of the NY Rangers being good in the next decade makes any kind of a difference in the next deal. With how regionalized this game can be, having the biggest media market in the States be a contender year in year out could be appealing.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I mention Roberto Luongo and Paul Bissonnette in a thread on this topic. I think Kevin Bieksa can be the straight knowledge guy like Kenny Smith. I think FOX would try this type of studio show the most, I think NBC might go the Olbermann route, but I do think getting rid of Keith Jones and Mike Milbury and injecting more life into the studio show should be a big priority. I don’t even bother to watch NBCSN’s studio coverage before or after games because the analysis and discussion is so vanilla and dry.

Bissonnette would absolutely have to tone things down on the podcast - or give it up altogether if he were to be a regular on network tv. Hopefully, unlike Roenick, he would realize there is a difference between the two.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I know it's partially part of getting older, but I really feel like the internet/media has done something to our perception of time. The "last 4 years" has just felt like 1 long run on sentence. Everything before the last lock out feels like it was forever ago, and everything since 2016 seems like months ago. If it were just age you wouldn't get the sensation of a big jump.

You're correct. Time is indeed "Speeding Up", it's not just you. Time isn't real per say, your/my/our perception is indeed speeding up. There's much deeper topics here, but everything is cyclical, and we're coming to the end of a big one, so time does indeed "speed up" as it returns.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I don’t get why, with falling and very poor ratings, NBC (or any TV station) would pay big money to broadcast NHL games? Really, not many people watch hockey in the US, right?
Maybe read the thread then, or realize that streaming is eroding viewership for tv in general, except for live events

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I expect the 400-500$ mil yr that the industry experts have bandied about but expecting anything well over $600m yr from the US deal is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I think NHL winds up around $800m yr total w/US +Canadian after the Canadian deal gets renegotiated.
That would require the Canadian deal to be renegotiated to essentially half its current price, as the NHL's media rights are at $800 million per year now with US/Canada/online rights.

If the NHL is smart enough to use multiple networks for its new US contract, I doubt they would stick with just Rogers for the new Canadian rights agreement.

Also, the Canadian tv deal doesnt get renegotiated for another 5 years anyway

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
That would require the Canadian deal to be renegotiated to essentially half its current price, as the NHL's media rights are at $800 million per year now with US/Canada/online rights.

If the NHL is smart enough to use multiple networks for its new US contract, I doubt they would stick with just Rogers for the new Canadian rights agreement.

Also, the Canadian tv deal doesn't get renegotiated for another 5 years anyway

I believe the Canadian rights are 533M, and that is USD, correct? Counting that, I would expect the US rights to come in total about 500M. That would be 400M cable/broadcast and 100M streaming. Total = slightly more than 1B/year.

But, really, it's still a good argument: When no one is watching, why should you pay for the rights?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I believe the Canadian rights are 533M, and that is USD, correct? Counting that, I would expect the US rights to come in total about 500M. That would be 400M cable/broadcast and 100M streaming. Total = slightly more than 1B/year.

But, really, it's still a good argument: When no one is watching, why should you pay for the rights?

no, the Canadian TV deal is in Canadian dollars.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Its also for 12 years which works out to an average of 436m per. However, the fees escalate year over the course of the deal, which doesn't help Rogers.

So about 340 US then, it does escalate, however near the end drops, John Shannon said on Bobcast podcast it drops to 300 million CDN in the final year.

Reactions: skeena1 and eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
So about 340 US then, it does escalate, however near the end drops, John Shannon said on Bobcast podcast it drops to 300 million CDN in the final year.

What I'm finding is often these deals are AAV. They aren't one amount the whole time often a big pay bump to start then it levels off. Like Forbes reported the actual amount of the NBC deal when it was first signed is $179-187m yr.
The NHL's New Broadcast Deal With Rogers Communications Signals Canadian Team Expansion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad