NHL’s Next TV Deal

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Anyone know how much the league pulls in from centre ice , world wide, and is that money distributed to all 30 teams, or is it just HRR.

National TV contracts, Center Ice subscriptions, NHL.tv -- all the monies are part of central/league revenue. Considered part of HRR. Split between 31 teams (32 with Seattle).

center ice on cable/satt or streaming should get more creative . I'm an isles fan in canada and I cant even get the isles pre-game / post game 30 minute shows because I assume they think I'm going to immediately start watching sportsnet after the 3 stars are announced .

spice up center ice by including pre and post game shows so that the subscriber who obviously follows said team has more value and feels more connected with ''his team'' .

another annoying center ice item is when sportsnet picks up the isles or opponents feed and airs it on sn1 or sn360 . I dont sub to those sn channels because it unnecessarily adds 20 bucks to my satt package . So , since those two channels are considered national channels..... guess what ? Its not available on center ice so I get smoked for that particular game while paying Bell satt 220 ish canadian for the pkg .

its little things like that which could be improved so the center ice custumer feels like they are getting moneys worth .

*some of the isles games v.s florida and maybe the caps in the playoffs were on sn1 . I had no choice but to subscribe for the playoffs .

Partially, it's an issue of bandwidth (and cost of that bandwidth). There are NOT enough channels in the Center Ice package to have ALL games and all feeds shown. I'm lucky to get my favorite team's broadcast for the game (sometimes I'm "forced" to watch the opponent feed and then sync up the radio feed of my fav team, muting the TV). Often, the previous game on the channel allocated on CI is showing an early game, so there isn't "time" to show the pregame show. (It seems they schedule 30 minutes (minimum) between game end of earlier game and start of later game.)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t get why, with falling and very poor ratings, NBC (or any TV station) would pay big money to broadcast NHL games? Really, not many people watch hockey in the US, right?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
I don’t get why, with falling and very poor ratings, NBC (or any TV station) would pay big money to broadcast NHL games? Really, not many people watch hockey in the US, right?

Live content especially sports is the most valuable property to TV networks because it attracts good ratings and ad revenue and its much cheaper to produce in any type of scripted programming. So despite not having the ratings the NFL or NBA, NHL is still good programming to hang especially come playoff time.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Live content especially sports is the most valuable property to TV networks because it attracts good ratings and ad revenue and its much cheaper to produce in any type of scripted programming. So despite not having the ratings the NFL or NBA, NHL is still good programming to hang especially come playoff time.

I don’t think it’s much cheaper to produce it’s probably way more to produce but others are paying most of that cost. A lot of shows they produce out back in the lot at a really cheap price.
The cost for them still has to make sense, they depend heavily on what advertisers will pay for their product to be shown and the numbers of eyes they get watching them.
You can give them free programming but if people don’t watch they lose the money they could be making off good programming.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I and a handful of others have said this for years now. If the NHL was lucky, it would get prime time on ESPN2. More than likely, it would get about the same coverage it does now on ESPN, slightly more than that on ESPN2, and it would be 2nd-tier behind college sports on all the other networks. For all the money being forked out for MLB, NBA, MNF and all the college football and college basketball deals, there's simply no way the NHL is getting coverage above any of those. Throw on MMA and everything else, and it only gets more difficult.
ESPN did showcase the NHL on the Deuce back in the early 90s.

Then early 2000s clutch and grab finally saw some numbers in viewers decline and with the lost 04/05 season - ESPN couldn’t wait to drop the NHL.

That all said - I don’t have any issues if ESPN wants to air games - more exposure the better.

Reactions: Devonator

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Ive said it before... for the cable companies/streaming services the NHL is a great buy. Low risk, high reward. It will be the cheapest sport to get the rights off, but if you are willing to invest time and resources into properly promoting the game on your network (in cooperation with the NHL) it has BY FAR the biggest growth potential. How can a network take their production, promotion, etc... and work with the NHL to improve the at home experience?

Thats why I think ESPN wants back in. The best pure value is likely in the NHL.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
ESPN did showcase the NHL on the Deuce back in the early 90s.

Then early 2000s clutch and grab finally saw some numbers in viewers decline and with the lost 04/05 season - ESPN couldn’t wait to drop the NHL.

That all said - I don’t have any issues if ESPN wants to air games - more exposure the better.
Pointing to ESPN's showcasing of the NHL on ESPN2 even pre-boring era, when it didn't have the NBA or MNF or wall-to-wall college sports or MMA or ..., doesn't make the point that you think it does.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Pointing to ESPN's showcasing of the NHL on ESPN2 even pre-boring era, when it didn't have the NBA or MNF or wall-to-wall college sports or MMA or ..., doesn't make the point that you think it does.
My point being - getting a contract with ESPN would be a good thing for the league...Would love to see games on both NBC/ESPN...Like I said - more exposure the better.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Whichever channel/s of the ESPN family that are part of any basic cable/sat tv package that’ll allow for the greatest number of viewers.
That's a total non-answer.

Do you think the NHL is going to get regular season prime-time coverage on ESPN?
Do you think the NHL is going to get regular season prime-time coverage on ESPN2?
Is it going to get shuffled to ESPN3 and/or ESPN+?

I'm seriously trying to understand this appeal for putting the NHL on ESPN, given that when the NHL season will normally be going on ESPN will already be broadcasting on its two major networks:

• Monday Night Football
  • MLB (end of regular season + playoffs)
  • High school football
  • College football (including virtually all the bowl games and the CFP, including certain I-AA FCS playoff games along with its title game, the D2 title game and the D3 title game; includes Thursday night featured games)
  • NBA (regular season and playoffs)
  • College basketball (including virtually every early season tournament and virtually all the conference tournaments)
  • High school basketball
  • USMNT WC qualifiers (which will be coming up soon)
  • Australia Open (tennis)
  • The Masters (first two rounds) and PGA Championship (first two rounds), both going on during the NHL's postseason
  • MMA
Seriously, where the hell is the NHL going to fit on ESPN in all of that? Where's it going to fit on ESPN2?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
That's a total non-answer.

Do you think the NHL is going to get regular season prime-time coverage on ESPN?
Do you think the NHL is going to get regular season prime-time coverage on ESPN2?
Is it going to get shuffled to ESPN3 and/or ESPN+?

I'm seriously trying to understand this appeal for putting the NHL on ESPN, given that when the NHL season will normally be going on ESPN will already be broadcasting on its two major networks:

• Monday Night Football
  • MLB (end of regular season + playoffs)
  • High school football
  • College football (including virtually all the bowl games and the CFP, including certain I-AA FCS playoff games along with its title game, the D2 title game and the D3 title game; includes Thursday night featured games)
  • NBA (regular season and playoffs)
  • College basketball (including virtually every early season tournament and virtually all the conference tournaments)
  • High school basketball
  • USMNT WC qualifiers (which will be coming up soon)
  • Australia Open (tennis)
  • The Masters (first two rounds) and PGA Championship (first two rounds), both going on during the NHL's postseason
  • MMA
Seriously, where the hell is the NHL going to fit on ESPN in all of that? Where's it going to fit on ESPN2?
Didn't you hear?

Bettman has convinced the network to create an exclusive channel devoted to all things hockey - especially the NHL.

ESPNHL Channel:naughty:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
ESPN is still a big deal. If you partner with them, that means more mentions on their other properties like Sportscenter. NHL fans will find the games no matter what channel they are on.

Reactions: Devonator

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
ESPN is still a big deal. If you partner with them, that means more mentions on their other properties like Sportscenter. NHL fans will find the games no matter what channel they are on.
You're semi-right. ESPN is a big deal ... for college sports. For the NBA. For the NFL. For MLB. Because all of them are getting paid a shitload of money, and for that ESPN has to run show after show hyping the f*** out of all of them to try and recoup money.

Where the hell does the NHL fit in there? Hint: it doesn't. For every person thinking ESPN loves the NHL, they'll throw $600 million at it realize that it's lobbing some $470 million at the NCAA just for the CFP - for the two semis and the championship and the right to announce who's in the semis. It then lobs some $125 million or so at the NCAA for the other 4 bowl games in the playoff rotation, then lobs a shitload more money at all the various conferences for the rights to their games. You really think the NHL is forking over more for a sport that everyone admits gets lower ratings?

Then throw on all the money paid to the Big Three. Where the hell is ESPN going to spend time advertising the NHL outside of perhaps 2 minutes on SC? You're sure as hell not getting 60-minute shows on the prime networks talking about the NHL even twice a week given the need to talk about the other stuff incessantly to try and recoup $$$$$$$$$$ forked out for them. You're sure as hell not getting say the Winter Classic on ESPN when you have (example from prior year) the Peach Bowl at noon, CFP Semi #1 at 5pm and CFP Semi #2 at 8:45pm and then ESPN2 has the Birmingham Bowl at noon and ABC has the Citrus Bowl at 1pm - and all of those times and channels are contractually locked in (if not for the CFP semis, you'd have the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl).

Seriously, ... absolute best bet is that NHL becomes the attraction on ESPN2 and supplants college football from October-December, and college basketball from late November-early March. Much more likely, NHL becomes a fill-in when there's nothing else going on. You need to realize that ESPN is never giving the NHL the attention it gets from NBCSN, no matter how imperfect that is, unless the NHL suddenly somehow becomes bigger deal than one of the other three - and we're nowhere close to that point right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
You're semi-right. ESPN is a big deal ... for college sports. For the NBA. For the NFL. For MLB. Because all of them are getting paid a shitload of money, and for that ESPN has to run show after show hyping the f*** out of all of them to try and recoup money.

Where the hell does the NHL fit in there? Hint: it doesn't. For every person thinking ESPN loves the NHL, they'll throw $600 million at it realize that it's lobbing some $470 million at the NCAA just for the CFP - for the two semis and the championship and the right to announce who's in the semis. It then lobs some $125 million or so at the NCAA for the other 4 bowl games in the playoff rotation, then lobs a shitload more money at all the various conferences for the rights to their games. You really think the NHL is forking over more for a sport that everyone admits gets lower ratings?

Then throw on all the money paid to the Big Three. Where the hell is ESPN going to spend time advertising the NHL outside of perhaps 2 minutes on SC? You're sure as hell not getting 60-minute shows on the prime networks talking about the NHL even twice a week given the need to talk about the other stuff incessantly to try and recoup $$$$$$$$$$ forked out for them. You're sure as hell not getting say the Winter Classic on ESPN when you have (for this year) the Peach Bowl at noon, CFP Semi #1 at 5pm and CFP Semi #2 at 8:45pm.

Seriously, ... absolute best bet is that NHL becomes the attraction on ESPN2 and supplants college football from October-December, and college basketball from late November-early March. Much more likely, NHL becomes a fill-in when there's nothing else going on. You need to realize that ESPN is never giving the NHL the attention it gets from NBCSN, no matter how imperfect that is, unless the NHL suddenly somehow becomes bigger deal than one of the other three - and we're nowhere close to that point right now.

I hate reading this but gotta admit you're right on the ESPN points Mud.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Then throw on all the money paid to the Big Three. Where the hell is ESPN going to spend time advertising the NHL outside of perhaps 2 minutes on SC? You're sure as hell not getting 60-minute shows on the prime networks talking about the NHL even twice a week given the need to talk about the other stuff incessantly to try and recoup $$$$$$$$$$ forked out for them. You're sure as hell not getting say the Winter Classic on ESPN when you have (for this year) the Peach Bowl at noon, CFP Semi #1 at 5pm and CFP Semi #2 at 8:45pm.

Im not claiming anything you are refuting in your post.

Here's how sports networks work. If they are a rights holder, they will cover the sport. If they are not, they won't.

I would rather have even 30 seconds every night on Sportscenter than none. If the NHL winds up on ESPN2, but is promoted during Sportscenter and the ESPN properties that draw big numbers, I'll take it.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Im not claiming anything you are refuting in your post.

Here's how sports networks work. If they are a rights holder, they will cover the sport. If they are not, they won't.

I would rather have even 30 seconds every night on Sportscenter than none. If the NHL winds up on ESPN2, but is promoted during Sportscenter and the ESPN properties that draw big numbers, I'll take it.
1. Obvious statement is obvious.
2. They already get about 30 seconds on SC.
3. You're still not explaining where it's going to fit on even ESPN2 given everything else ESPN has paid rights for and declared where it's going to be shown.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
1. Obvious statement is obvious.
2. They already get about 30 seconds on SC.
3. You're still not explaining where it's going to fit on even ESPN2 given everything else ESPN has paid rights for and declared where it's going to be shown.

Yes ESPN has long established relationships that will continue with the it's existing properties NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS/CFB/CFB Playoffs/CBB/ College World Series/PGA, not to mention its new relationship with UFC and its pet project of Top Rank Boxing. They do intend to clear some space by dropping the two MLB week day packages and intending to focus on the Sunday night package. However, because of the time of year MLB runs Spring to Fall, I think that is more about freeing up resources for renewals/acquisitions and also creating potential inventory space for a larger MLS package that is up for renewal after 2022. MLS and MLB run concurrent seasons.

So if NHL is moving to ESPN if it really is going to get in on ESPN it's going to have to unseat a long time fall to winter or fall to spring property. That's either NFL, NBA, College Basketball, or College Football. So if NHL is coming back to ESPN it's unseating one of those or sharing a compact schedule in a skinny deal where there's a game slid in once a week on ESPN or ESPN 2 with ESPN having the streaming package. If that's the case is it worth it? Meaning don't expect ESPN to back the brinks truck. NHL is better off trying to get on FS1 as there isn't a NFL or NBA package to contend with during the season just College Basketball and College Football.

Last edited:

Lee Sharpe

Nov 7, 2020
Fox has a best coverage that NHL beeds. I megan they have not had any winter professional sports nationally.

Fox would be great partner for the NHL nation wide. If they get example 30-50 % next TV-packet NHL could easily charging 300-500 $.

FOX Sports Regional Networks have local media rights partnerships with 12 NHL teams, including the Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, and Tampa Bay Lightning

Reactions: Jokerit 16

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Fox has a best coverage that NHL beeds. I megan they have not had any winter professional sports nationally.

Fox would be great partner for the NHL nation wide. If they get example 30-50 % next TV-packet NHL could easily charging 300-500 $.

FOX Sports Regional Networks have local media rights partnerships with 12 NHL teams, including the Anaheim Ducks, Arizona Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Detroit Red Wings, Florida Panthers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues, and Tampa Bay Lightning
You know FOX sold all those, right? They're FOX in name only, they're part of Sinclair Networks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad