NHL’s Next TV Deal

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Whats yall's thoughts on the rumours of Amazon looking at picking up sports rights.

Personally Im 100% on board.

Reactions: Devonator

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Whats yall's thoughts on the rumours of Amazon looking at picking up sports rights.

I wouldn't care. Others will. Amazon certainly has the cash to lob for the online rights. Whether it's interested is TBD.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

I follow a lot of sports business media guys on twitter and the sense is that this is a market that just isn't really into committing to sports. A lot had figured the Amazon's of the world would be a major player, but what we've seen is the traditional cable players reinvent the wheel with getting into the streaming business ABC(Disney) w/ESPN+, Comcast (Universal) Peackock, CBS w/CBS All-Access soon to be renamed Paramount+. Turner has B/R Live streaming service, there is HBO Max on a smaller level. The original idea of Netflix/Hulu/and Amazon paying hundreds of millions for sports rights was more sports leagues wishful thinking, there way to expanded resources, the streaming companies don't want to commit huge sums of resources to get caught up in the limbo cable companies have found themselves in tied to the hip of sports properties. When they do invest it's targeted non overwhelming investment as a accessory property. Like Amazon having a foreign deal with the EPL or Amazon small package with the NFL.

The main streaming deals will be with the traditional properties created services. DAZN is a dark horse wild card they might get desperate and overpay to get a full on streaming deal with a pro sports league. They have been shut out the past 5 yrs out of any major property after making waves about being a major player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don’t get why, with falling and very poor ratings, NBC (or any TV station) would pay big money to broadcast NHL games? Really, not many people watch hockey in the US, right?

Put it this way, Since the NHL signed their last deal, CBS and Fox both launched sports networks and streaming has exploded, (ESPN+, Hulu, Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube Red, etc.) whereas it was in the birthing stages in 2011.

It's a game of supply and demand. Because of those two factors above, the demand has increased exponentially, but the supply has essentially remained the same. Plus, streaming apps have changed the game in that you no longer have a broadcaster with one or two channels that can only broadcast one program at a time. Now you can open the app and pick what you want to watch.

The ridiculous increase in content demand is why a dying company like the WWE can get a $2B deal from FOX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Nhl isn't a big draw. Wouldn't expect anything huge. Just being realistic.

I expect the 400-500$ mil yr that the industry experts have bandied about but expecting anything well over $600m yr from the US deal is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I think NHL winds up around $800m yr total w/US +Canadian after the Canadian deal gets renegotiated.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I expect the 400-500$ mil yr that the industry experts have bandied about but expecting anything well over $600m yr from the US deal is just setting yourself up to be disappointed. I think NHL winds up around $800m yr total w/US +Canadian after the Canadian deal gets renegotiated.

Why would the Canadian deal get renegotiated?

Reactions: skeena1

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
The NHL needs to have their potential new TV partners model their broadcast teams after the NBA on TNT. The TV studio crew of Johnson, Shaq, Smith, & Barkley are the benchmark. Even though basketball is now my 4th favorite sport and I hardly watch the NBA anymore, I still watching these guys.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sounds like a subtle shot at NBC imo based what you reported in the past Fenway. I think ESPN and/or FOX are definitely going in equation in next TV deal. Question will be NBC’s role will be if they are included.

The NHL needs to have their potential new TV partners model their broadcast teams after the NBA on TNT. The TV studio crew of Johnson, Shaq, Smith, & Barkley are the benchmark. Even though basketball is now my 4th favorite sport and I hardly watch the NBA anymore, I still watching these guys.

NBC knows they have to upgrade the studio show and get a stronger host. Tappan and McHugh are decent but NBC is talking to a big name that loves hockey. They are even willing to move the show to Manhattan from Stamford to get him :popcorn:

upload_2020-12-2_18-35-39.png

Reactions: jiggsawpuzzle35

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If he sticks to hockey he would be fine

He does have a love of the game

It's funny how many people don't realize that the original six is from year 25-50 of the start of the league,
Year 1 - was Ottawa Senators, Toronto Arenas, Montreal Wanderers and Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NBC is going into the final season of their golden goose 10-year contract.

NBC cashed in on the Blackhawks and to a lesser extent Boston when the contract began in 2011-12 and it has been very profitable for them at 2ooM a year.

Starting with 2021-22 how much more is the contract worth?

FOX and FS1 will be aggressive in a bid and my dark horse is CBS and CBS Sports Channel.

The NHL would love to have ESPN/ABC involved but they would always be second fiddle to the NBA and the same applies to Turner.

skeena1

May 15, 2006

What four hockey personalities would you consider?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
He's a big fan of the Vancouver regional broadcasts in general and John Shorthouse and John Garrett in particular, he would have that vote.

Not to get too political, but I was referring to the 'Stick to Spurts!' crowd and a certain side of the aisle overall here in the states.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NBC knows they have to upgrade the studio show and get a stronger host. Tappan and McHugh are decent but NBC is talking to a big name that loves hockey. They are even willing to move the show to Manhattan from Stamford to get him :popcorn:

View attachment 377919

Olbermann is very polarizing and will criticize the league if he sees fit. Some folks won't like that. I think he's a fantastic sports commentator and would hope that the viewing public can accept an offbeat or idiosyncratic personality. Heck, if the NHL wanted to go all out, just get Keith and Dan Patrick back together as studio hosts.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
What four hockey personalities would you consider?

I mention Roberto Luongo and Paul Bissonnette in a thread on this topic. I think Kevin Bieksa can be the straight knowledge guy like Kenny Smith. I think FOX would try this type of studio show the most, I think NBC might go the Olbermann route, but I do think getting rid of Keith Jones and Mike Milbury and injecting more life into the studio show should be a big priority. I don’t even bother to watch NBCSN’s studio coverage before or after games because the analysis and discussion is so vanilla and dry.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Wait a minute.... it's been 6 years since Rogers got NHL in Canada? 6 years since the real Hockey Night in Canada? I thought 12 years would take forever when that got signed.

I must be getting old, feels like last fall!!??!!!!??? I'm not even old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad