GDT: NFL: Super Bowl LI - PATRIOTS vs Falcons 6:30 PM FOX, CTV, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
You mean like PIT's D?

I'm not trying to say it's going to be super easy, but the defenses that typically give Brady trouble are the ones like the Giants that pressure him only rushing four, which allowed them to drop more guys in coverage while still harrying him. Last year Denver had a wrecking ball named Von Miller against a challenged O line.

Vic Beasley is NOT that guy, and had almost half his sacks in two games (against DEN and the Rams). Dan Quinn had the best D in the NFL when he was with SEA and Brady shredded them in the 2nd half en route to a SB win. He will not be able to stop Brady and the Pats O in two weeks.

On the other side, I think ATL will get their points, but if NE is scoring, they will only need to stop ATL a few times. ATL's offense IS really good, but let's not forget that the GB D he faced yesterday (particularly the secondary) was awful.

Excellent points and you're rite. I won't go back and forth here with you, I'll just say that Atlanta's defense doesn't have any big names, high profile players, and what I'm saying is that, they are playing HUNGRY, and you gotta respect that.

I'll add this, Its like NE and how they acquire a lot of no name players, middle of the pack players and they step up and do their jobs, and some even become stars playing for NE. Ex: Chris Hogan. Yes I know he plays WR but you understand what I'm saying.. I believe Atlanta is getting better and better with every game..

LOL We can debate for hours and bring up stats etc but they still have to go out and play the game. I hope its over by the 3rd quarter serious.. Lets Go!!!

Again all I'm really trying to say is that I believe its going to be a good tough game.

Last edited:

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Should be a great high octane Superbowl.If Brady wins and stands alone does he walk away on top?

I started to feel a get a little bit of the retirement vibe from TB12 in his interview immediately after the game. Tough to explain why but he was very emotional. That said, he is probably too competitive to just walk away. I give him 2 to 3 more years.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I started to feel a get a little bit of the retirement vibe from TB12 in his interview immediately after the game. Tough to explain why but he was very emotional. That said, he is probably too competitive to just walk away. I give him 2 to 3 more years.

Doesn't he just cripple his team if he retires even though he has a contract until 2019?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Nothing irks me more than people that cherry pick stats to try and discredit a team. IE the whole "Patriots played a bunch of garbage QB's so of course they have the #1 scoring defense" argument.

Guess what, that vaunted Falcons offense and passing attack had TEN games against pass defenses ranked 20 through 32, five of which were against teams 29 through 32. Oh but don't worry that didn't help boost their numbers at all because, well they played a bunch of good QBs!!!!

Does it matter? No. The Falcons are good, just like the Patriots. How they got there is a result of doing their respective jobs and doing the most important thing, which is winning.

Not sure why this game isn't a pick 'em, but a 3 point spread might as well be. with those offenses.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Bet you never saw Montana play.

I did. I also saw his skills deteriorate at the end of his career to the point he was a shell of his former self, whereas you could argue Brady is playing better than ever at close to forty. Bottom line: If Tom Brady wins one more, he is the greatest of all time. Nobody will have won more, over more consecutive years, while always maintaining MVP-consideration level play well past the point most QBs are retired or throwing ducks for bottom dwelling teams.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I did. I also saw his skills deteriorate at the end of his career to the point he was a shell of his former self, whereas you could argue Brady is playing better than ever at close to forty. Bottom line: If Tom Brady wins one more, he is the greatest of all time.

He wont be responding. He loves to refer to the Pats as "the cheaters" on his home board.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Should be a great high octane Superbowl.If Brady wins and stands alone does he walk away on top?

In theory, he should. Afterall it would be HIS moment after the whole Goodell-feud. But he won't IMO. He's too much of a competitor and loves the game. And why wouldn't be continue? it's not like Peyton's situation last year when he was obviously done, but circumstances allowed him to retire on top.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Bet you never saw Montana play.

I've seen plenty of media members who have seen both say that Brady is GOAT. better stats, more playoff success. Montana doesn't get extra credit for being 4-0 in super bowl. Losing earlier in playoffs or not making playoffs at all is worse than losing in SB.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
It's always something.

"Patriots didn't play a good QB all year"
"Other team had injuries"
"Their schedule was easy"

Guess the Falcons shouldn't be taken seriously since they shredded Green Bay who was missing the entire secondary basically.

Give me a break with that nonsense. Injuries are part of football, good teams overcome them.

Precisely. :laugh:

If the Pats' schedule is ever easy, that's down to the pure inconsistency of NFL teams.

Because, you know, since the AFC East is soooo **** that it's a free playoff bye (even though the Pats' under Brady have a better record against consistent playoff teams or contenders like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Baltimore than he does against Miami - and better records against all but two(?) divisions than he does against AFC East overall). But since that means the Pats' have won the division every year, they should draw some of the toughest schedule year in and year out. If, at the end of the year, that quality of competition isn't up to par, that's just testament to how other teams follow up good or even great years with mediocre ones. I wonder why NE doesn't do that. Maybe they're just... good? :laugh:

And QB's on the whole are inconsistent as all hell. Remember "Flacco is elite"? Dalton, MVP candidate? Cam Newton wouldn't have counted this year if we faced them? Andrew Luck? I guess Luck would've counted as a good QB if we had faced them this year, and I don't know about you, but I would rather have faced Indianapolis than Denver in Denver. Or New Orleans. Or And wouldn't have had too much of an issue if Ben was healthy back when we faced them. Oh, and Fitzpatrick would've counted as a good QB by their metrics just a couple of year backs.

I don't think many teams faced that many great quarterbacks anyway. But who cares? Not looking to discredit anyone here, but when it comes to New England, people will seemingly do anything to try their darndest.

I've seen plenty of media members who have seen both say that Brady is GOAT. better stats, more playoff success. Montana doesn't get extra credit for being 4-0 in super bowl. Losing earlier in playoffs or not making playoffs at all is worse than losing in SB.

Yup. That argument is stupid. During his career, the NFC was 13-3 in SB (9-3 in SB he didn't appear in), and two of those losses were in his first two seasons in which he started a total of 8 games - so in his career as starter the NFC was 9-1 in non-Montana Super Bowls. And of course losing to the Giants by 46 points in the Divisional Round is somehow better than losing to them by 3 in the Super Bowl? :amazed:

Last edited:

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Precisely. :laugh:

If the Pats' schedule is ever easy, that's down to the pure inconsistency of NFL teams.

Because, you know, since the AFC East is soooo **** that it's a free playoff bye (even though the Pats' under Brady have a better record against consistent playoff teams or contenders like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Baltimore than he does against Miami - and better records against all but two(?) divisions than he does against AFC East overall). But since that means the Pats' have won the division every year, they should draw some of the toughest schedule year in and year out. If, at the end of the year, that quality of competition isn't up to par, that's just testament to how other teams follow up good or even great years with mediocre ones. I wonder why NE doesn't do that. Maybe they're just... good? :laugh:

And QB's on the whole are inconsistent as all hell. Remember "Flacco is elite"? Dalton, MVP candidate? Cam Newton wouldn't have counted this year if we faced them? Andrew Luck? I guess Luck would've counted as a good QB if we had faced them this year, and I don't know about you, but I would rather have faced Indianapolis than Denver in Denver. Or New Orleans. Or And wouldn't have had too much of an issue if Ben was healthy back when we faced them. Oh, and Fitzpatrick would've counted as a good QB by their metrics just a couple of year backs.

I don't think many teams faced that many great quarterbacks anyway. But who cares? Not looking to discredit anyone here, but when it comes to New England, people will seemingly do anything to try their darndest.

Yup. That argument is stupid. During his career, the NFC was 13-3 in SB (9-3 in SB he didn't appear in), and two of those losses were in his first two seasons in which he started a total of 8 games - so in his career as starter the NFC was 9-1 in non-Montana Super Bowls. And of course losing to the Giants by 46 points in the Divisional Round is somehow better than losing to them by 3 in the Super Bowl? :amazed:

I remember looking at our schedule before the season started and thinking it was going to be a tough schedule. The course of the season and things that happened changed that as we went along. It's not the Patriots' fault that other teams didn't hold up their end of the bargain. And how many "tough" games exactly does it take before you are considered to have a "tough" schedule?

Back in August, wouldn't you have considered a schedule including the following teams to be "tough"?:

Offseason Champions Miami x2, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Seattle, Arizona, Houston, and Denver. Buffalo was supposed to be "so much improved".

But yet those teams **** the bed so it's the Patriots fault and now we were considered to have a cupcake schedule?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
should be interesting to see how the ATL offence counters hoodies defence on a neutral field. Double cover Jones and make someone else beat us. I think we can stop their run game too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad