GDT: NFL: Super Bowl LI - PATRIOTS vs Falcons 6:30 PM FOX, CTV, WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Let's see how this team performes when their opponent doesn't miss their best play like in the last 2 games.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
For those unaware, If Dimtroff listened to Belichick in 2011, his team might not be here.

D. Orlando Ledbetter has a very interesting note in his blog. It turns out New England coach Bill Belichick advised Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff against trading up to get receiver Julio Jones in the April draft.

That revelation was made in the book “War Room’’ by Michael Holley. Dimitroff spent years working under Belichick in New England’s front office. When pondering the trade, Dimitroff called his mentor and was told the cost of trading up for Jones was too great.

The cost of moving from No. 27 to No. 6 was sending that No. 27 pick, along with second- and fourth-round choices this year and first and fourth-round picks in 2012 to Cleveland. Belichick told Dimitroff to sit still and take Jonathan Baldwin at No. 27. As it turned out Baldwin went to the Chiefs at No. 26.

It’s still way too early to judge that trade. Jones got off to a decent start. He missed the last two games with a hamstring injury, but returned to practice this week. In a couple of years, we’ll have a better idea if Dimitroff made the right move or not.

But it’s interesting that he didn’t follow Belichick’s advice. Maybe Dimitroff just had such a strong feeling about Jones that he felt he had to make the move and maybe he correctly assumed that Baldwin still wouldn’t be available.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26947/belichick-advised-against-julio-jones-trade

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
For those unaware, If Dimtroff listened to Belichick in 2011, his team might not be here.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26947/belichick-advised-against-julio-jones-trade

There were quite a few guys they could have hit on in that draft depending on their depth chart. Few as impactful as Julio, of course.
And what's with the last sentence? Unless Wiki is way off, Baldwin was drafted with that 27th pick of theirs, and it was only the 26th because the Ravens slept on their turn at 26?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Atlanta's defense has been playing well the last couple of games. Also I doubt they play a soft zone like Pittsburgh did.. I believe Atlanta will game plan around Brady and rush him every chance they get, with different looks and schemes. I'm telling you I don't think its going to be easy. Like Brady said, its going to be a good game.

You mean like PIT's D?

I'm not trying to say it's going to be super easy, but the defenses that typically give Brady trouble are the ones like the Giants that pressure him only rushing four, which allowed them to drop more guys in coverage while still harrying him. Last year Denver had a wrecking ball named Von Miller against a challenged O line.

Vic Beasley is NOT that guy, and had almost half his sacks in two games (against DEN and the Rams). Dan Quinn had the best D in the NFL when he was with SEA and Brady shredded them in the 2nd half en route to a SB win. He will not be able to stop Brady and the Pats O in two weeks.

On the other side, I think ATL will get their points, but if NE is scoring, they will only need to stop ATL a few times. ATL's offense IS really good, but let's not forget that the GB D he faced yesterday (particularly the secondary) was awful.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Let's see how this team performes when their opponent doesn't miss their best play like in the last 2 games.

Injuries and depth are part of the game. I'm assuming you are talking about Watt and Bell?

HOU's D was still their stength, even without Watt, and lack of offense was their issue. NE's run D has been exceptionally stout all year and I don't think there was any way they let Bell (or Brown) beat them. They were going to make the other PIT players step up and they didn't.

It's hilarious that NE can lose a guy that his peers say is the toughest matchup (and 2nd biggest difference maker) on the field, continue to win, and nobody bats an eye.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Maybe those teams should try to perform the way NE does without Gronk, huh? :shakehead

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

It's always something.

"Patriots didn't play a good QB all year"
"Other team had injuries"
"Their schedule was easy"

Guess the Falcons shouldn't be taken seriously since they shredded Green Bay who was missing the entire secondary basically.

Give me a break with that nonsense. Injuries are part of football, good teams overcome them.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Injuries and depth are part of the game. I'm assuming you are talking about Watt and Bell?

Obviously.
I'm not saying either the Texans or Steelers would have won, but those players would have made a difference.
Of course the Texans still had a great defense, but maybe Watt would have put them over the top, who knows?
Like Von Miller did last year ... and I bet the Broncos would have had a strong defense even without him. But with him, they won the SuperBowl.
It's easier said than done to just "step up" if your best player went down. Especially if it happens during the game, meaning you didn't have any chance to practice that situation.

But tbh, the Packers situation upset me more. They were just so decimated and still beat the best team of the regular season, but in the end, they couldn't do it a second time.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Obviously.
I'm not saying either the Texans or Steelers would have won, but those players would have made a difference.
Of course the Texans still had a great defense, but maybe Watt would have put them over the top, who knows?
Like Von Miller did last year ... and I bet the Broncos would have had a strong defense even without him. But with him, they won the SuperBowl.
It's easier said than done to just "step up" if your best player went down. Especially if it happens during the game, meaning you didn't have any chance to practice that situation.

But tbh, the Packers situation upset me more. They were just so decimated and still beat the best team of the regular season, but in the end, they couldn't do it a second time.

As others have already pointed out, we can play this game all day. If Gronk were healthy, NE's offense would be even better than Atlanta's.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Im happy to enjoy this two weeks with actual football talk instead the BS Goodell/Colts/Ravens pulled during our last visit to the big dance.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Im happy to enjoy this two weeks with actual football talk instead the BS Goodell/Colts/Ravens pulled during our last visit to the big dance.

You better knock on wood! :laugh:

Im just waiting for something to come up about last nights game.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
There were quite a few guys they could have hit on in that draft depending on their depth chart. Few as impactful as Julio, of course.
And what's with the last sentence? Unless Wiki is way off, Baldwin was drafted with that 27th pick of theirs, and it was only the 26th because the Ravens slept on their turn at 26?

Yeah, Baldwin would have been available to them barring other trades should they have stayed 27, only because Baltimore is dumb. It's impossible to guess who they would have drafted in the first in 2012 because not having Julio would have changed their position, but Cleveland ended up with Brandon Weeden in that spot. But considering they wanted and would have gotten Baldwin, a Julio Jones for Baldwin + a first, second and fourth is unlikely to have been a favorable trade.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
You mean like PIT's D?

I'm not trying to say it's going to be super easy, but the defenses that typically give Brady trouble are the ones like the Giants that pressure him only rushing four, which allowed them to drop more guys in coverage while still harrying him. Last year Denver had a wrecking ball named Von Miller against a challenged O line.

Vic Beasley is NOT that guy, and had almost half his sacks in two games (against DEN and the Rams). Dan Quinn had the best D in the NFL when he was with SEA and Brady shredded them in the 2nd half en route to a SB win. He will not be able to stop Brady and the Pats O in two weeks.

On the other side, I think ATL will get their points, but if NE is scoring, they will only need to stop ATL a few times. ATL's offense IS really good, but let's not forget that the GB D he faced yesterday (particularly the secondary) was awful.

Atlanta was 3rd in QB hurries on the year. Anyone know how to find how often they blitzed compared to other teams?

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Atlanta was 3rd in QB hurries on the year. Anyone know how to find how often they blitzed compared to other teams?

I can't find a final rankings, but through October they blitzed on 14.7% of plays, which was good for 31st in the league, only in front of the Eagles. The Patriots were 25th at 20.1% of defensive snaps resulting in a blitz.

I'd assume that trend continued.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I can't find a final rankings, but through October they blitzed on 14.7% of plays, which was good for 31st in the league, only in front of the Eagles. The Patriots were 25th at 20.1% of defensive snaps resulting in a blitz.

I'd assume that trend continued.

Interesting (not in a good way). So they don't blitz a lot, but they do produce pressure. I know they're poor overall, but that's a good starting point for a good defense.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
DAN SHAUGHNESSY
It’s hard to get pumped up about a Super Bowl against . . . Atlanta

There is no need to insult the nice folks of Atlanta, where you can drive on Peachtree Street, go to Peachtree Plaza, and order yourself a Peachtree Margarita. Atlanta is a diverse and hospitable city with friendly folks and warm temperatures. You can always get a Coke and a smile.

But it is also a town with absolutely zero enthusiasm for professional sports. And the non-fans know it. They’ve been hearing it for a long time. The Falcons, Braves, and Hawks don’t win championships so they don’t get much love. Atlanta is a place where people play sports rather than watch them. Atlanta grows professional athletes. We produce Ordways and Massarottis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad